Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000 - SUN

This is a discussion on Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000 - SUN ; I'm looking for an internal backup solution for my blade 2000 which should hopefully arrive today. I currently use an external DDS4 tape, but was looking to get an internal DDS4 drive to save space (DDS4 is dead cheap now). ...

  1. Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    I'm looking for an internal backup solution for my blade 2000 which
    should hopefully arrive today.

    I currently use an external DDS4 tape, but was looking to get an
    internal DDS4 drive to save space (DDS4 is dead cheap now). But 40 GB is
    a bit small.

    DLT 7000 is going to be too large to fit inside. I think AIX too. I dont
    think there are any AIX tape drives that will fit in a 5.25" slot are
    there?

    There is DAT 160, which looks attractive - 160 GB on half-height tape
    drive. Can read/write to the DDDS4 tapes too, which I have tons of.
    Quite expensive though, as new technology.

    Are there any I have overlooked? I'd just prefer something where I don't
    need one more box cluttering up the place. On top of my Ultra 80 I have
    two external disk, a DDS 4 tape drive, a switch, ADSL modem and a
    wireless adapter. I need to get rid of some of this clutter!

    Perhaps I should just get a network storage device and stick it in the
    garage. Anything I have missed?

  2. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    According to Dave :
    > I'm looking for an internal backup solution for my blade 2000 which
    > should hopefully arrive today.
    >
    > I currently use an external DDS4 tape, but was looking to get an
    > internal DDS4 drive to save space (DDS4 is dead cheap now). But 40 GB is
    > a bit small.
    >
    > DLT 7000 is going to be too large to fit inside. I think AIX too. I dont
    > think there are any AIX tape drives that will fit in a 5.25" slot are
    > there?

    Have you looked at the Exabyte Mammoth-2 drives? They are 60 GB
    native, 150 GB with built-in compression. And they will fit in a 5.25"
    half-height slot. But -- first check up on the cost of the media -- and
    be sure that you are sitting down when you read that. Consider that
    $30.00 is a *good* eBay price for new tapes.

    [ ... ]

    > Are there any I have overlooked? I'd just prefer something where I don't
    > need one more box cluttering up the place. On top of my Ultra 80 I have
    > two external disk, a DDS 4 tape drive, a switch, ADSL modem and a
    > wireless adapter. I need to get rid of some of this clutter!

    Your desire for > 40 GB sort of limits the choices. I'm using
    Mammoth-2 drives -- two of them in an Exabyte 430 library -- up to four
    drives (I have two) and up to 30 tapes in the magazines -- two
    removable, and one built-in and fixed. But having looked at most prices
    on eBay for the EXB-430, you probably don't want to pay those prices. I
    stumbled across mine at a hamfest for $30.00 -- and then had to chase
    down a LVD SCSI interface. (Note that the EXB-430 can also work with
    Fibre Channel interface -- depending on the model which you get and the
    model of the Mammoth-2 drives.) But one thing to note is that while
    most LVD drives can work from a SE SCSI interface, these will give
    problems forever unless you have the proper LVD interface.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  3. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    DoN. Nichols wrote:
    > According to Dave :
    >> I'm looking for an internal backup solution for my blade 2000 which
    >> should hopefully arrive today.

    > Have you looked at the Exabyte Mammoth-2 drives?

    No, that was the sort of thing I wanted - someone to point out a format
    I'd overlooked.

    > They are 60 GB
    > native, 150 GB with built-in compression. And they will fit in a 5.25"
    > half-height slot.

    Sounds good! I just bought a couple of 173 GB 15k rpm fibre drives on
    eBay last night ($99 each which I thought was good, as they are new and
    warrented until 2011). That will really make using 40 GB tapes a pain.

    > But -- first check up on the cost of the media -- and
    > be sure that you are sitting down when you read that. Consider that
    > $30.00 is a *good* eBay price for new tapes.

    Em, that is a bit steep. I just looked myself and the cheapest I could
    find was $36.

    I'm in the UK, but there is not a single tape in the UK on there. I can
    bet when they do come up, they will be a lot more. (I had the Blade 2000
    shipped from the USA - it was much cheaper to do that, than buy one here).

    > Your desire for > 40 GB sort of limits the choices. I'm using
    > Mammoth-2 drives -- two of them in an Exabyte 430 library -- up to four
    > drives (I have two) and up to 30 tapes in the magazines -- two
    > removable, and one built-in and fixed. But having looked at most prices
    > on eBay for the EXB-430, you probably don't want to pay those prices.

    It is obviously an attractive format - high capacity, small size. It
    clearly attracts quite a high price.

    > stumbled across mine at a hamfest for $30.00 -- and then had to chase
    > down a LVD SCSI interface. (Note that the EXB-430 can also work with
    > Fibre Channel interface -- depending on the model which you get and the
    > model of the Mammoth-2 drives.) But one thing to note is that while
    > most LVD drives can work from a SE SCSI interface, these will give
    > problems forever unless you have the proper LVD interface.

    Thanks for that too.

    > Good Luck,

    Seems like I am going to need it! I might look at putting other hard
    drives on the network and using them instead of tape. It's not ideal,
    but I can at least stick hard drives in the garage, so unlike a tape
    drive it does not need much physical access to it. It may be the only
    semi-economic way of baking up a few hundred GB.

    > DoN.

  4. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    On 2007-10-13, Dave wrote:

    > Seems like I am going to need it! I might look at putting other hard
    > drives on the network and using them instead of tape. It's not ideal,
    > but I can at least stick hard drives in the garage, so unlike a tape
    > drive it does not need much physical access to it. It may be the only
    > semi-economic way of baking up a few hundred GB.

    My solution, which I'm half-way through implementing, was to get an D1000 disk
    array and use cheap hot-swap disks for backup.

    I have an 8mm DX tape drive, which I back up ~ with but backing up the whole
    machine is a pain, and I only have 73Gb disks.

    --
    "Religion poisons everything."
    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  5. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    Hi,

    Dave wrote:
    > I'm looking for an internal backup solution for my blade 2000 which
    > should hopefully arrive today.
    >
    > I currently use an external DDS4 tape, but was looking to get an
    > internal DDS4 drive to save space (DDS4 is dead cheap now). But 40 GB is
    > a bit small.
    >
    > DLT 7000 is going to be too large to fit inside. I think AIX too. I dont
    > think there are any AIX tape drives that will fit in a 5.25" slot are
    > there?
    >
    > There is DAT 160, which looks attractive - 160 GB on half-height tape
    > drive. Can read/write to the DDDS4 tapes too, which I have tons of.
    > Quite expensive though, as new technology.
    >
    > Are there any I have overlooked? I'd just prefer something where I don't
    > need one more box cluttering up the place. On top of my Ultra 80 I have
    > two external disk, a DDS 4 tape drive, a switch, ADSL modem and a
    > wireless adapter. I need to get rid of some of this clutter!
    >

    > Perhaps I should just get a network storage device and stick it in the
    > garage. Anything I have missed?

    At home after my DLT-1 broke down, I have still not decided if I should
    get a new tape or not.

    Currently I have 3 500GB USB drives that I rotate around, having only
    one connected at a time. Dumping full on one, removing it and doing
    incremental on the next, then full again and so.

    Quite okay, and very easy when I need to restore something.

    I prepend_date_hostname on the ufsdump file inorder to sort them.

    /michael

  6. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    According to Dave :
    > DoN. Nichols wrote:
    > > According to Dave :
    > >> I'm looking for an internal backup solution for my blade 2000 which
    > >> should hopefully arrive today.

    > > Have you looked at the Exabyte Mammoth-2 drives?

    > No, that was the sort of thing I wanted - someone to point out a format
    > I'd overlooked.

    O.K. Glad to provide you with a good starting point.

    Note that the Mammoth-2 (unlike the earlier 8900/Mammoth drives)
    requires an entry in the /kernel/drv/st.conf file:

    tape-config-list=
    "EXABYTE Mammoth2", "Mammoth2 8mm Helical Scan", "M2";

    M2 = 1,0x35,0,0x19e39,1,0x28,0;

    as well as perhaps uncommenting one or more of the following:

    name="st" class="scsi" target=0 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=1 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=2 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=3 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=6 lun=0;

    #
    # In case there are wide tape drives, one can use these targets
    #
    name="st" class="scsi" target=8 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=9 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=10 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=11 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=12 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=13 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=14 lun=0;
    name="st" class="scsi" target=15 lun=0;

    # This line adds support for Fibre Channel Tapes
    name="st" parent="fp" target=0;
    st.conf lines 62-95/95 (END)

    Also -- if you put in a library (in particular, the EXB-430) you will
    need some additions to the sgen.conf file in the same directory:

    #
    # For EXB-430 jukebox -- DoN.
    #
    device-type-config-list = "sequential","changer";
    inquiry-config-list= "EXABYTE","Exabyte";

    name="sgen" class="scsi" target=0 lun=0;
    #name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
    #name="sgen" class="scsi" target=6 lun=0;
    #name="sgen" class="scsi" target=9 lun=0;

    I was experimenting with the library at different SCSI IDs, hence the
    commented out versions. Note that I have found that "devfsadm" won't
    find the library -- you have to touch /reconfigure and reboot to get the
    library recognized.

    But for a single drive inside the system, you won't need that.

    > > They are 60 GB
    > > native, 150 GB with built-in compression. And they will fit in a 5.25"
    > > half-height slot.

    > Sounds good! I just bought a couple of 173 GB 15k rpm fibre drives on
    > eBay last night ($99 each which I thought was good, as they are new and
    > warrented until 2011). That will really make using 40 GB tapes a pain.

    Nice! Note that *you* can use these in the Sun Blade 2000, but
    *I* can't use them in my Sun Fire 280R, because the 280R has a different
    cage for the disk drives, which will only hold 1" height drives, not the
    1.6" ones which you just got.

    Another interesting difference between the machines with the
    same system board is that mine uses IDs 0 and 1 for the internal drives,
    while yours uses IDs 1 and 2. A different drive cage, and I guess that
    it is how the system board tells what system it is in, because the
    FireWire is disabled in the Sun Fire 280R, but not in your Sun Blade
    2000.

    I got a couple of these 173 GB drives from eBay before
    discovering this (because my friend across the street was using them in
    his Sun Blade 2000, and since the system board was the same, I expected
    them to use the same drives. *Wrong*! (They would not even format in
    my friend's system (he was curious enough to try them). Luckily, the
    vendor took them back.

    I'm instead using a pair of 146 GB drives internally, and a
    bunch of drives in external housings as zfs arrays.

    > > But -- first check up on the cost of the media -- and
    > > be sure that you are sitting down when you read that. Consider that
    > > $30.00 is a *good* eBay price for new tapes.

    > Em, that is a bit steep. I just looked myself and the cheapest I could
    > find was $36.

    It varies -- depending on your luck.

    > I'm in the UK, but there is not a single tape in the UK on there. I can
    > bet when they do come up, they will be a lot more. (I had the Blade 2000
    > shipped from the USA - it was much cheaper to do that, than buy one here).

    You may have to do the same with drives and tapes -- unless you
    buy at just the right time. :-)

    > > Your desire for > 40 GB sort of limits the choices. I'm using
    > > Mammoth-2 drives -- two of them in an Exabyte 430 library -- up to four
    > > drives (I have two) and up to 30 tapes in the magazines -- two
    > > removable, and one built-in and fixed. But having looked at most prices
    > > on eBay for the EXB-430, you probably don't want to pay those prices.

    > It is obviously an attractive format - high capacity, small size. It
    > clearly attracts quite a high price.

    It also happens to be very fast compared to most other formats.

    > > stumbled across mine at a hamfest for $30.00 -- and then had to chase
    > > down a LVD SCSI interface. (Note that the EXB-430 can also work with
    > > Fibre Channel interface -- depending on the model which you get and the
    > > model of the Mammoth-2 drives.) But one thing to note is that while
    > > most LVD drives can work from a SE SCSI interface, these will give
    > > problems forever unless you have the proper LVD interface.

    > Thanks for that too.

    Things that I discovered the hard way.

    Note that this *is* spelled out in the manuals -- and you can
    download them in PDF format from Exabyte's web site.

    > > Good Luck,

    > Seems like I am going to need it! I might look at putting other hard
    > drives on the network and using them instead of tape. It's not ideal,
    > but I can at least stick hard drives in the garage, so unlike a tape
    > drive it does not need much physical access to it. It may be the only
    > semi-economic way of baking up a few hundred GB.

    What would be most affordable would be if you could use IDE
    drives, instead of SCSI -- but that would limit how far away from your
    system you could put them. Perhaps an older system like a Ultra-5 or
    Ultra-10, which uses (up to four) IDE drives by default -- and a bit of
    metalwork to give you the ability to use a plug-in carrier for the
    drives.

    Again -- good luck,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  7. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    According to Huge :
    > On 2007-10-13, Dave wrote:
    >
    > > Seems like I am going to need it! I might look at putting other hard
    > > drives on the network and using them instead of tape. It's not ideal,
    > > but I can at least stick hard drives in the garage, so unlike a tape
    > > drive it does not need much physical access to it. It may be the only
    > > semi-economic way of baking up a few hundred GB.

    > My solution, which I'm half-way through implementing, was to get an D1000 disk
    > array and use cheap hot-swap disks for backup.

    Note that he will have to get a HVD SCSI card to add to the
    system to use either the D1000 or the A1000.

    However -- if he gets a MultiPack (either a 12-slot for 1"
    drives, or a 6-slot for 1.6" drives) -- *that* can be used connected to
    the back panel 68-pin SCSI connector. As a matter of fact, I was using
    a 6-slot one full of 9GB drives to play with the system before I got the
    146 GB FC-AL drives to go in the front slots.

    > I have an 8mm DX tape drive, which I back up ~ with but backing up the whole
    > machine is a pain, and I only have 73Gb disks.

    I'm using the Amanda package (which comes with Solaris 10 -- I
    forget whether on the software companion or the main body of Solaris 10,
    and I have it talking to the EXB 430 library. But you don't want to buy
    one for home use unless you luck into a price like what I got mine for
    at a hamfest -- $30.00 with two Mammoth-2 drives.

    Note that while the Amanda package is very good (especially for
    a free package), it has a steep learning curve. It is a little easier
    to find the documentation you need if you install it from source,
    instead of installing the package which comes with Solaris 10. (You
    also get a slightly newer version.)

    Enjoy,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  8. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    DoN. Nichols wrote:

    > Note that he will have to get a HVD SCSI card to add to the
    > system to use either the D1000 or the A1000.

    DoN.

    Last time I looked (which was a few years back), the Sun HVD cards were
    quite rare/expensive on eBay. But IBM cards, which used the same
    chipset, were dead cheap. So I bought an IBM HVD SCSI card, which works
    fine, although since the L9 autoloader has died, I don't use it any
    more. I don't suppose it would have been possible to boot off the IBM
    HVD card, but that was never a concern to me.

  9. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    On 2007-10-13, DoN. Nichols wrote:
    > According to Huge :
    >> On 2007-10-13, Dave wrote:
    >>
    >> > Seems like I am going to need it! I might look at putting other hard
    >> > drives on the network and using them instead of tape. It's not ideal,
    >> > but I can at least stick hard drives in the garage, so unlike a tape
    >> > drive it does not need much physical access to it. It may be the only
    >> > semi-economic way of baking up a few hundred GB.

    >> My solution, which I'm half-way through implementing, was to get an D1000 disk
    >> array and use cheap hot-swap disks for backup.

    > Note that he will have to get a HVD SCSI card to add to the
    > system to use either the D1000 or the A1000.

    Quite so. I ended up buying one from a UK Sun breaker for $40. Almost as much as
    the D1000 and 12 x 9Gb disks cost. (

    >> I have an 8mm DX tape drive, which I back up ~ with but backing up the whole
    >> machine is a pain, and I only have 73Gb disks.

    > I'm using the Amanda package

    I looked at this, but it's way too complicated for what I need, and I was
    concerned about the ease of restoration; the last thing I need when I'm already
    panicing is to have to fight with my backup system... Oh for the days of
    mksysb on AIX - the entire system on a bootable tape. Boot the tape and go for
    coffee.

    --
    "Religion poisons everything."
    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  10. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    According to Dave :
    > DoN. Nichols wrote:
    >
    > > Note that he will have to get a HVD SCSI card to add to the
    > > system to use either the D1000 or the A1000.

    > DoN.
    >
    > Last time I looked (which was a few years back), the Sun HVD cards were
    > quite rare/expensive on eBay. But IBM cards, which used the same
    > chipset, were dead cheap. So I bought an IBM HVD SCSI card, which works
    > fine, although since the L9 autoloader has died, I don't use it any
    > more. I don't suppose it would have been possible to boot off the IBM
    > HVD card, but that was never a concern to me.

    Almost nobody seems to want the HVD cards these days, and it is
    the LVD ones which are expensive and hard to find.

    The HVD card which I am using is the 375-0006 (Symbios SYM
    22802). That is a dual one, with the ultra high density SCSI connectors
    on the card bracket.

    The first on eBay from a search "Sun 375-0006" has a BIN price
    of $34.95, and an opening price of ten dollars less.

    The second one on eBay from the same search has an opening price
    of $9.95 (this is auction number 110179954775 with 1 day 19 hours to
    go).

    One of them even has a Sun Ultra-10 wrapped around it with a few
    other cards and disks included. :-)

    It is the LVD cards which are expensive and difficult to find,
    and the one which I am using came from the same hamfest which gave me
    the Sun Fire 280R which it is currently living in.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  11. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    According to Huge :
    > On 2007-10-13, DoN. Nichols wrote:

    [ ... ]

    > > Note that he will have to get a HVD SCSI card to add to the
    > > system to use either the D1000 or the A1000.

    > Quite so. I ended up buying one from a UK Sun breaker for $40. Almost as much as
    > the D1000 and 12 x 9Gb disks cost. (

    O.K. A bit steeper than today's eBay prices -- but then you
    would have to include shipping across the big pond in most from eBay.

    > >> I have an 8mm DX tape drive, which I back up ~ with but backing up the whole
    > >> machine is a pain, and I only have 73Gb disks.

    > > I'm using the Amanda package

    > I looked at this, but it's way too complicated for what I need, and I was
    > concerned about the ease of restoration; the last thing I need when I'm already
    > panicing is to have to fight with my backup system... Oh for the days of
    > mksysb on AIX - the entire system on a bootable tape. Boot the tape and go for
    > coffee.

    I've had to use the Amanda package to restore drives. It helps
    to have all the man pages printed out ahead of time. But it will let
    you restore a full backup and several incremental backups in a manner
    similar to that used by the ufsdump and ufsrestore system -- even if you
    use Gnu tar and separate compression. You navigate a list of files and
    directories, select the files which you wish to extract, and then let it
    go. You may have to swap tapes part way through if there are
    incrementals after the last full backup.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  12. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    DoN. Nichols wrote:

    >> Last time I looked (which was a few years back), the Sun HVD cards were
    >> quite rare/expensive on eBay. But IBM cards, which used the same
    >> chipset, were dead cheap. So I bought an IBM HVD SCSI card, which works
    >> fine, although since the L9 autoloader has died, I don't use it any
    >> more. I don't suppose it would have been possible to boot off the IBM
    >> HVD card, but that was never a concern to me.

    > Almost nobody seems to want the HVD cards these days, and it is
    > the LVD ones which are expensive and hard to find.

    Things change so much in the costs of IT equipment. I bought a couple of
    X1195A CPUs about (for Ultra 80) 5 years ago at $1500 each ($3000 the
    pair). I now see them on eBay with a buy-it-now of $15 a pair...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-2-SUN-450...QQcmdZViewItem

    Of course, if you would don't need two, so would rather not spend $15 on
    two, you could always buy a single one, which is a real bargin at $648
    for the bargin outlet 'IT Equipment Express'

    http://cgi.ebay.com/SUN-X1195A-N-450...QQcmdZViewItem

    That's almost a 100x difference in price!!!

    Take a DDS-4 tape drive (20/40GB) for another example.

    Feeling flush, and want to buy with which the seller says "Does have few
    scratches large scratches on the top but this is only cosmetic." at a
    mere $695 buy-it-now

    http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-7206-220-20-...QQcmdZViewItem

    or perhaps not feeling so flush, and would prefer to buy it now at $39.99
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Seagate-Dell-STD...QQcmdZViewItem

    or perahps, you would prefer a Sun PCI II pro card at $539
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SUN-X2132A-MID-S...QQcmdZViewItem

    or perhaps again, you are not quite feeling so flush, so would rather
    buy one at $49.95
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SUN-Chimera-X213...QQcmdZViewItem

    Can anyone tell me the logic of why some companies try to sell items on
    eBay at almost 100x the price of others in some cases, and 10x is very
    common indeed

  13. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    Dave writes:
    >Can anyone tell me the logic of why some companies try to sell items on
    >eBay at almost 100x the price of others in some cases, and 10x is very
    >common indeed

    The ones that list the high prices (well, higher than auction) are
    stores that just continue to list their inventory over and over again.

    They expect to pick up people that need something right away, and
    maybe there won't be an auction for that specific item right at the
    time and somebody has to buy something at their store price instead of
    what it normally goes for at auction.

    There's been cases where I've need a part, and went the used route on
    eBay, but the specific one I needed didn't have auctions running then.

    But then usually, I just go to my normal used vendors and buy them at
    a normal used rate instead of whatever store listing prices are up at
    the time..

    There's a huge range of prices the used guys use. eBay auctions
    sometimes now-a-days do get alot lower than the normal price the used
    part vendors use, which is usually based on such a part is worth x%
    off the list because its been EOL'd this many years. Rather than
    pricing it at what auctions tend to buy-sell things at.

  14. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    * Dave:
    > I'm looking for an internal backup solution for my blade 2000 which
    > should hopefully arrive today.
    >
    > I currently use an external DDS4 tape, but was looking to get an
    > internal DDS4 drive to save space (DDS4 is dead cheap now). But 40 GB is
    > a bit small.
    >
    > DLT 7000 is going to be too large to fit inside. I think AIX too.

    AIX is an operating system from IBM. Do you mean AIT?

    > I dont
    > think there are any AIX tape drives that will fit in a 5.25" slot are
    > there?

    All AIT drives I know are 5.25" standard size (CDROM drive size).

    > There is DAT 160, which looks attractive - 160 GB on half-height tape
    > drive. Can read/write to the DDDS4 tapes too, which I have tons of.
    > Quite expensive though, as new technology.
    >
    > Are there any I have overlooked?

    Yes, DAT72 for example. Or DLT VS. Or SLR.

    Benjamin

  15. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > AIX is an operating system from IBM. Do you mean AIT?

    Yes, sorry, I did mean AIT. In fact, I have a server here that runs AIX,
    although I have not switched it on for several years.

    >> I dont think there are any AIX tape drives that will fit in a 5.25"
    >> slot are there?

    > All AIT drives I know are 5.25" standard size (CDROM drive size).

    Useful to know.

    >> There is DAT 160, which looks attractive - 160 GB on half-height tape
    >> drive. Can read/write to the DDDS4 tapes too, which I have tons of.
    >> Quite expensive though, as new technology.
    >>
    >> Are there any I have overlooked?

    > Yes, DAT72 for example. Or DLT VS. Or SLR.

    Dat72 is a thought. Someone else suggested Exabyte mammoth 2, for which
    the drives are not too expensive, but the tapes are.

    > Benjamin

  16. Re: Backup solutions (internal) for Blade 2000

    * Dave:

    >> All AIT drives I know are 5.25" standard size (CDROM drive size).

    > Useful to know.

    But AIT drives are expensive, and the media are, too. I wouldn't
    recommend that route.

    >>> There is DAT 160, which looks attractive - 160 GB on half-height tape
    >>> drive. Can read/write to the DDDS4 tapes too, which I have tons of.
    >>> Quite expensive though, as new technology.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any I have overlooked?

    >> Yes, DAT72 for example. Or DLT VS. Or SLR.

    > Dat72 is a thought. Someone else suggested Exabyte mammoth 2, for which
    > the drives are not too expensive, but the tapes are.

    I wouldn't recommend Exabyte also. No doubt it's a good backup system
    but Mammoth2 is quite old now and as you say the media are expensive.
    The latter is also the case with most tape standards. IMHO the only
    somewhat affordable media are DDS/DAT (DAT72 is quite cheap),
    DLT/SDLT320 and Ultrium1. For your backup scope I'd recommend DAT72
    which is a very reliable system (some DDS1 drives were really bad, DDS2
    was average, but since DDS3 DAT is a very reliable backup system - you
    just have to know it's limits, especially regarding tape usage!).

    You should even be able to get a HP RENEW drive with 3yrs warranty for
    good prices.

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread