No harddrives found on E3500 - SUN

This is a discussion on No harddrives found on E3500 - SUN ; Hi, I've got a SUN Enterprise 3500. Today I wanted to install Solaris 10 on the machine but it complains that no harddrives can be found. Here is a screenshot of the warning: http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4...rddrivegf9.png (german setup, message is "No harddrives ...

  1. No harddrives found on E3500

    Hi,

    I've got a SUN Enterprise 3500. Today I wanted to install Solaris 10 on the
    machine but it complains that no harddrives can be found. Here is a
    screenshot of the warning:

    http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4...rddrivegf9.png

    (german setup, message is "No harddrives can be found").

    In the machine there were two ST39102FC FibreChannel drives.

    So I thought they were broken.

    Luckily I also have two StorEdge A5200 full of ST318203FC drives. They work
    for sure because accessed them with a PCI FC Hostadapter and Linux. All of
    the drives worked well.

    So I took four of the ST318203FC from the array and plugged them into the
    E3500. But I get the same message :-(

    In either case the drives spin up.

    What could be the problem, does anybody have a hint?

    Thank you very much in advance,

    Peter

  2. Re: No harddrives found on E3500

    In Peter Mairhofer <63832452@gmx.net> writes:

    >Hi,

    >I've got a SUN Enterprise 3500. Today I wanted to install Solaris 10 on the
    >machine but it complains that no harddrives can be found. Here is a
    >screenshot of the warning:

    >http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4...rddrivegf9.png

    >(german setup, message is "No harddrives can be found").

    >In the machine there were two ST39102FC FibreChannel drives.

    >So I thought they were broken.

    >Luckily I also have two StorEdge A5200 full of ST318203FC drives. They work
    >for sure because accessed them with a PCI FC Hostadapter and Linux. All of
    >the drives worked well.

    >So I took four of the ST318203FC from the array and plugged them into the
    >E3500. But I get the same message :-(

    >In either case the drives spin up.

    >What could be the problem, does anybody have a hint?

    >Thank you very much in advance,

    >Peter

    Are the optical cables connected to the GBICs in the back?

    --
    David B. Chorlian
    Neurodynamics Lab SUNY/HSCB

  3. Re: No harddrives found on E3500

    "Peter Mairhofer" <63832452@gmx.net> wrote in message
    news:Xns99C5B8503105763832452gmxnet@195.34.135.131 ...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a SUN Enterprise 3500. Today I wanted to install Solaris 10 on

    the
    > machine but it complains that no harddrives can be found.

    Are the drives seen at the ok> prompt or is it only within Solaris that they
    are not detected?

    Trinean

  4. Re: No harddrives found on E3500

    David B. Chorlian dixit:

    > In Peter Mairhofer
    > <63832452@gmx.net> writes:
    >
    >>Hi,

    >>I've got a SUN Enterprise 3500. Today I wanted to install Solaris 10
    >>on the machine but it complains that no harddrives can be found. Here
    >>is a screenshot of the warning:

    >>http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4...rddrivegf9.png

    >>(german setup, message is "No harddrives can be found").

    >>In the machine there were two ST39102FC FibreChannel drives.

    >>So I thought they were broken.

    >>Luckily I also have two StorEdge A5200 full of ST318203FC drives. They
    >>work for sure because accessed them with a PCI FC Hostadapter and
    >>Linux. All of the drives worked well.

    >>So I took four of the ST318203FC from the array and plugged them into
    >>the E3500. But I get the same message :-(

    >>In either case the drives spin up.

    >>What could be the problem, does anybody have a hint?

    >>Thank you very much in advance,

    >>Peter

    > Are the optical cables connected to the GBICs in the back?

    Hi,

    Thank you very much for your help, this was the problem!

    :-)

    Peter

  5. Re: No harddrives found on E3500

    Peter Mairhofer <63832452@gmx.net> dixit:
    > David B. Chorlian dixit:
    >> [...]
    >> Are the optical cables connected to the GBICs in the back?

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thank you very much for your help, this was the problem!

    But there is one question left.
    The interface board has 4 connectors: LA, LB, UA, UB.

    The E3500 can holt up to 10 disks (0 to 9).

    The manuel says:

    +------------+------------+----------------------+
    | Disk drives| Drive port | GBIC |
    +------------+------------+----------------------+
    | 0,1,2,3 | A | GBIC LA (Lower Bank) |
    | 0,1,2,3 | B | GBIC LB (Lower Bank) |
    | 4,5,6,7 | A | GBIC UA (Upper bank) |
    | 4,5,6,7 | B | GBIC UB (Upper Bank) |
    +------------+------------+----------------------+

    I dont't understand this; what exactly is the "drive port"? Do I need to
    connect LA and LB if I want to use the lower bank or just LA xor LB? Why?

    If I want to use a drive in 0 and 4 I have one drive in the upper and one
    in the lower bank. Do I need to connect all four GBICs then?

    Thank you,
    Peter

  6. Re: No harddrives found on E3500

    Peter Mairhofer wrote:
    > Peter Mairhofer <63832452@gmx.net> dixit:
    >
    >>David B. Chorlian dixit:
    >>
    >>>[...]
    >>>Are the optical cables connected to the GBICs in the back?

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Thank you very much for your help, this was the problem!

    > But there is one question left.
    > The interface board has 4 connectors: LA, LB, UA, UB.
    >
    > The E3500 can holt up to 10 disks (0 to 9).
    >
    > The manuel says:
    >
    > +------------+------------+----------------------+
    > | Disk drives| Drive port | GBIC |
    > +------------+------------+----------------------+
    > | 0,1,2,3 | A | GBIC LA (Lower Bank) |
    > | 0,1,2,3 | B | GBIC LB (Lower Bank) |
    > | 4,5,6,7 | A | GBIC UA (Upper bank) |
    > | 4,5,6,7 | B | GBIC UB (Upper Bank) |
    > +------------+------------+----------------------+
    >
    > I dont't understand this; what exactly is the "drive port"? Do I need to
    > connect LA and LB if I want to use the lower bank or just LA xor LB? Why?

    The two ports all you to build in some redundancy.

    > If I want to use a drive in 0 and 4 I have one drive in the upper and one
    > in the lower bank. Do I need to connect all four GBICs then?

    No if you don't need some redundancy.
    Just plumb up LA and UA to the IO board.

    > Thank you,
    > Peter

+ Reply to Thread