    which I will stick in there until such time as I can find a SunPCi III
    (1.4 GHz) or SunPCi III pro (1.6 GHz).

  2. Re: Any 'gotchas' for the Blade 20000

    On 2007-10-06, Dave wrote:
    > I've ordered a Sun Blade 2000 (2 x 1.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 2 x 73 GB disks,
    > XVR-1000, DVD-ROM drive) to replace my Ultra 80.
    >
    > Are there any problems with that combination that I should be aware of?

    I'm sitting in front of one right now.

    Other than the fact that both disks have failed within 3 months, I'm delighted
    with it.

    --
    "Religion poisons everything."
    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  3. Re: Any 'gotchas' for the Blade 20000

    "Dave" wrote in message
    > I've ordered a Sun Blade 2000 (2 x 1.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 2 x 73 GB disks,
    > XVR-1000, DVD-ROM drive) to replace my Ultra 80.
    >
    > Are there any problems with that combination that I should be aware of? I
    > see some reference to the DVD ROM drives not liking burned DVDs. I guess I
    > will boot of the net in that case.
    >
    > http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...783&tstart=150
    >
    > I intend putting Solaris 10 update 4 on it. I have a SunPCi II pro card,
    > which I will stick in there until such time as I can find a SunPCi III
    > (1.4 GHz) or SunPCi III pro (1.6 GHz).

    Some of the DVD drives do not like burned DVD-R disks, I have one at work.
    I tried a burned DVD+R in it and it was fine.

    At home I have one which is apparently newer, it is ok with DVD-R or DVD+R
    burned disks.

  4. Re: Any 'gotchas' for the Blade 20000

    Gerry Sinkiewicz wrote:
    > "Dave" wrote in message
    >> I've ordered a Sun Blade 2000 (2 x 1.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 2 x 73 GB disks,
    >> XVR-1000, DVD-ROM drive) to replace my Ultra 80.
    >>
    >> Are there any problems with that combination that I should be aware of? I
    >> see some reference to the DVD ROM drives not liking burned DVDs. I guess I
    >> will boot of the net in that case.
    >>
    >> http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...783&tstart=150
    >>
    >> I intend putting Solaris 10 update 4 on it. I have a SunPCi II pro card,
    >> which I will stick in there until such time as I can find a SunPCi III
    >> (1.4 GHz) or SunPCi III pro (1.6 GHz).

    > Some of the DVD drives do not like burned DVD-R disks, I have one at work.
    > I tried a burned DVD+R in it and it was fine.
    >
    > At home I have one which is apparently newer, it is ok with DVD-R or DVD+R
    > burned disks.

    Thank you for that. I'll see if I have a DVD+R and burn it.

  5. Re: Any 'gotchas' for the Blade 20000

    > I'm expecting the Blade 2000 any day now, so will probably be posting
    > some questions! Hopefully it will be a bit quicker than my Ultra 80 - I
    > just hope the reduction in CPU from 4 to 2 is more than made up for by
    > the increase in speed from 450 to 1200 MHz.

    Even the jump from 450 MHz to 1200 MHz is apples and oranges.
    The Sun Blade 2000 is USIII instead of USII so you should see a big
    difference.

    Trinean

+ Reply to Thread