xdm on Solaris 9, strange problem - SUN

This is a discussion on xdm on Solaris 9, strange problem - SUN ; Hello, sorry for the crosspost, but I don't know which one of the comp.sys.sun.* groups would be most adequate for this topic... I have a strange problem with xdm on Solaris 9. I tried to install VNC as a remote ...

  1. xdm on Solaris 9, strange problem

    Hello,
    sorry for the crosspost, but I don't know which one of the
    comp.sys.sun.* groups would be most adequate for this topic...

    I have a strange problem with xdm on Solaris 9. I tried to install VNC
    as a remote graphical login service, as it is explained in the Xvnc man
    page. In short, you add to /etc/inetd.conf a line like this one

    vnc stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd -query
    localhost -once -securitytypes=none

    and run xdm. The '-query localhost' option in Xvnc command line
    parameters causes it to send a XDMCP request to the xdm at localhost, so
    after connecting with vncviewer to the port designated for this service
    you should see the xdm login screen, and after you log in, the regular X
    session should be started.
    It worked flawlessly on my old server with Solaris 2.5.1. Now, under
    Solaris 9, I'm unable to get it working. The xdm login screen appears,
    but after I log in, the session ends immediately - the connection is closed.
    I tried to trace xdm with truss, and it turned out that it doesn't run
    the Xsession script at all. It runs the environment preparation script
    (Xstartup), then goes on to starting Xsession, but before even trying an
    exec(), a SIGSEGV occurs somewhere and probably xdm jumps right to the
    "cleanup" script Xreset.
    I tried also to use dtlogin instead of xdm (actually, I tried this
    first, because that's exactly what I want to do), and in that case the
    failure occurs as soon as dtlogin is trying to execute dtgreet; so
    there's no login window at all, only black screen for a fraction of
    second, and then disconnect.

    1) Can anybody help me to debug and fix this? I have the full output
    from truss available.
    2) I tried to search sunsolve.sun.com and found some documents that
    mention "Unable to use xdm for remote session with Solaris 9". The
    (probably) interesting ones are for example:
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...=1-1-4748474-1
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...=1-1-2058652-1
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...=1-1-4262197-1
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...ey=1-9-43962-1
    However, they are only available for users with a Sun service contract
    and I don't have one. Could anybody with a service contract send me
    these documents?
    3) Any other ideas?
    It's important for me to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.
    --
    Regards,
    Jaroslaw Rafa

  2. Re: xdm on Solaris 9, strange problem

    Jarosław Rafa napisał(a):
    > Solaris 9, I'm unable to get it working. The xdm login screen appears,
    > but after I log in, the session ends immediately - the connection is closed.
    > I tried to trace xdm with truss, and it turned out that it doesn't run
    > the Xsession script at all. It runs the environment preparation script
    > (Xstartup), then goes on to starting Xsession, but before even trying an
    > exec(), a SIGSEGV occurs somewhere and probably xdm jumps right to the
    > "cleanup" script Xreset.

    [...]
    > 2) I tried to search sunsolve.sun.com and found some documents that
    > mention "Unable to use xdm for remote session with Solaris 9". The

    [...]
    > However, they are only available for users with a Sun service contract
    > and I don't have one. Could anybody with a service contract send me
    > these documents?

    I did some more search on Sunsolve and found a document
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...=1-1-4520680-1 which
    seems to indicate that this behavior has something to do with IPv6
    addressing. The document description mentions ConvertAddr function
    returning -1 and this is exactly what happens in my case - and just
    ConvertAddr returns -1 the mentioned SEGSIGV occurs. However, access to
    this document also requires a service contract. Therefore i ask again,
    if someone with Sun service contract could help me access these documents?
    --
    Regards,
    Jaroslaw Rafa

  3. Re: xdm on Solaris 9, strange problem

    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Jaros=B3aw_Rafa?= writes in comp.sys.sun.admin:
    |I tried also to use dtlogin instead of xdm (actually, I tried this
    |first, because that's exactly what I want to do), and in that case the
    |failure occurs as soon as dtlogin is trying to execute dtgreet; so
    |there's no login window at all, only black screen for a fraction of
    |second, and then disconnect.

    Any errors in /var/dt/Xerrors?

    |2) I tried to search sunsolve.sun.com and found some documents that
    |mention "Unable to use xdm for remote session with Solaris 9". The
    |(probably) interesting ones are for example:
    |http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...=1-1-4748474-1

    http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatab...bug_id=4748474

    Fixed in the Solaris 9 X patch, which, since it includes security fixes,
    is free for all:
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/getp...umentId=112786

    |http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/docum...=1-1-4262197-1

    http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatab...bug_id=4262197
    Fixed in Solaris 8 before release, should still be fixed in Solaris 9.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/

  4. Re: xdm on Solaris 9, strange problem

    Alan Coopersmith napisał(a):
    > Any errors in /var/dt/Xerrors?

    Nothing interesting. Only "Can not execute dtgreet", which I already
    know ;-)

    > http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatab...bug_id=4748474
    >
    > Fixed in the Solaris 9 X patch, which, since it includes security fixes,
    > is free for all:
    > http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/getp...umentId=112786

    Patch #112786 is for Solaris x86. For SPARC there is patch #112785. I
    have newest version of it (112785-52) and still nothing...
    --
    Regards,
    Jaroslaw Rafa

+ Reply to Thread