SurfSTOR DVD/CD Writer from Partners Data Systems - SUN

This is a discussion on SurfSTOR DVD/CD Writer from Partners Data Systems - SUN ; Has anyone had any experience with the SurfSTOR DVD/CD Writer and the SurfBURNER GUI software that is shipped with it? This is a bundled package offered by Partners Data Systems, Inc. http://www.partnersdata.com/cgi-bin/...ion=sun&id=406 I am thinking of getting one of these ...

  1. SurfSTOR DVD/CD Writer from Partners Data Systems

    Has anyone had any experience with the SurfSTOR DVD/CD Writer and the
    SurfBURNER GUI software that is shipped with it? This is a bundled
    package offered by Partners Data Systems, Inc.

    http://www.partnersdata.com/cgi-bin/...ion=sun&id=406

    I am thinking of getting one of these drives to replace the internal
    DVD Reader currently in my SunFire V250 system and would be interested
    in hearing about any experiences you may have had with this product or
    company.

    Thanks.
    --
    C. Jeffery Small CJSA LLC 206-232-3338
    jeff@cjsa.com 7000 E Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA 98040

  2. Re: SurfSTOR DVD/CD Writer from Partners Data Systems

    Jeffery Small wrote:
    > Has anyone had any experience with the SurfSTOR DVD/CD Writer and the
    > SurfBURNER GUI software that is shipped with it? This is a bundled
    > package offered by Partners Data Systems, Inc.
    >
    > http://www.partnersdata.com/cgi-bin/...ion=sun&id=406
    >
    > I am thinking of getting one of these drives to replace the internal
    > DVD Reader currently in my SunFire V250 system and would be interested
    > in hearing about any experiences you may have had with this product or
    > company.
    >
    > Thanks.

    It's odd where it says:

    > External model has Wide LVD SCSI Interface
    > Internal model has ATAPI Interface

    I image that is a bit restrictive for many. I could be tempted to fit on
    *inside* my U80, but not a lot of use if its only ATAPI.

  3. Re: SurfSTOR DVD/CD Writer from Partners Data Systems

    Dave writes:

    >Jeffery Small wrote:
    >> Has anyone had any experience with the SurfSTOR DVD/CD Writer and the
    >> SurfBURNER GUI software that is shipped with it? This is a bundled
    >> package offered by Partners Data Systems, Inc.
    >>
    >> http://www.partnersdata.com/cgi-bin/...ion=sun&id=406
    >>
    >> I am thinking of getting one of these drives to replace the internal
    >> DVD Reader currently in my SunFire V250 system and would be interested
    >> in hearing about any experiences you may have had with this product or
    >> company.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >It's odd where it says:

    > > External model has Wide LVD SCSI Interface
    > > Internal model has ATAPI Interface

    >I image that is a bit restrictive for many. I could be tempted to fit on
    >*inside* my U80, but not a lot of use if its only ATAPI.

    The existing DVD Reader in the SunFire V250 is currently an ATAPI/IDE drive
    so replacing it with this internal drive should be a simple swap. On the
    U80 you probably only have a SCSI bus. Is there some other limitation with
    the IDE interface that I should be aware of in my case?

    Regards,
    --
    Jeff

  4. Re: SurfSTOR DVD/CD Writer from Partners Data Systems

    Jeffery Small wrote:

    > The existing DVD Reader in the SunFire V250 is currently an ATAPI/IDE drive
    > so replacing it with this internal drive should be a simple swap. On the
    > U80 you probably only have a SCSI bus. Is there some other limitation with
    > the IDE interface that I should be aware of in my case?

    IDE is quite dum, so you need the CPU to do more work when accessing the units
    and fetch the data.

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread