Re: Hardware recommendation for a web server - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: Hardware recommendation for a web server - SUN ; Rich Teer writes: >On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Akop Pogosian wrote: >> What's a good Sun server to handle 300,000 requests for dynamically >> generated web pages per day? Those are all plain cgi scripts that >> don't use mod_perl, ...

  1. Re: Hardware recommendation for a web server

    Rich Teer writes:

    >On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Akop Pogosian wrote:

    >> What's a good Sun server to handle 300,000 requests for dynamically
    >> generated web pages per day? Those are all plain cgi scripts that
    >> don't use mod_perl, mod_php, or any other embedded interpreter. A Sun
    >> E250 feels pretty slow and unresponsive for such load during peak
    >> times (that is, probably most of time). I am thinking of getting
    >> dual-processor dual-core Operon-based Sun server as a replacement.

    >I think that would handle your projected workload with ease--overkill,
    >even! A Sun Fire X4100 or X4200 would be a pretty good choice; they're
    >essentially the same machine, but the former is a 1U device while the
    >latter is 2U, which means they hold s or 4 hard drives respectively
    >assuming you don't replace the DVD drive in the X4100.

    >To save $$$, a dual-CPU (with single cores) would give you better
    >price/performance, provided you didn't need every last ounce of perfromacem
    >from the dualies.

    Or go the other way and use a Netra rack-mount low-profile server. Even a
    t105 would suffice. Without running any resource-hogging X applications or X
    server, a t105 is a great server machine. I'm using one as a combined
    new/dns/ntp/proxy server.

    Craig.
    --
    SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996

  2. Re: Hardware recommendation for a web server

    In aus.computers.sun Kralizec Craig wrote:
    >>> What's a good Sun server to handle 300,000 requests for dynamically
    >>> generated web pages per day? Those are all plain cgi scripts that
    >>> don't use mod_perl, mod_php, or any other embedded interpreter. A Sun
    >>> E250 feels pretty slow and unresponsive for such load during peak
    >>> times (that is, probably most of time). I am thinking of getting
    >>> dual-processor dual-core Operon-based Sun server as a replacement.

    > Or go the other way and use a Netra rack-mount low-profile server. Even a
    > t105 would suffice. Without running any resource-hogging X applications or X

    So an E250 isn't up to it, but a Netra t105 would be?

    Whatever you're smoking, I want some.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread