Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued? - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued? - SUN ; "sdsf" writes: >"Rich Teer" skrev i en meddelelse >news:Pine.SOL.4.58.0510191425000.13005@excalibur.. . >> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Dave wrote: >> >>> I run one as a webserver and someone was surprised I was using such an >>> old machine. I just ...

  1. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    "sdsf" writes:

    >"Rich Teer" skrev i en meddelelse
    >news:Pine.SOL.4.58.0510191425000.13005@excalibur.. .
    >> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> I run one as a webserver and someone was surprised I was using such an
    >>> old machine. I just wondered how old it was. I thought it might be as
    >>> much as 15 years old, but I was clearly wrong there.

    >> Aye. But if it does the job... Fortuantely, Suns are rather more robust
    >> (and age better) than PCs!
    >>

    >not so sure you are always right here, one problem is SUNs
    >NVRAM with built-in battery, this is a problematic construction
    >i think.

    Why? Just replace the NVRAM and the machine is good to go again once the new
    NVRAM is programmed.

    Craig.

    --
    SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996

  2. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    Kralizec Craig wrote:

    >>not so sure you are always right here, one problem is SUNs
    >>NVRAM with built-in battery, this is a problematic construction
    >>i think.

    > Why? Just replace the NVRAM and the machine is good to go again once the new
    > NVRAM is programmed.
    >
    > Craig.

    Sooner or later I expect those chips will stop being manufactured. Then
    you will have more of a problem, although people have opened them up to
    put an external battery. I would not do it now, as you can buy the
    chips, but I can't see a chip with such limited storage being made forever.

    That said, even die hards like me will probably scrap the SS20s before
    then, although I have a certain fondness for that machine .

    I got one once when some "ram raiders" thrashed them all at work and it
    was an insurance write-off. But whilst I was pretty sure ram could have
    fitted in the slot, it was too expensive for me to risk it. I managed to
    borrow some ram overnight from a friend who was a system admin at a
    polytechnic, but then we found the CPU had gone too. He was going to
    return the RAM, then borrow a CPU & RAM the next day. But his mum died,
    so he had other things on his mind and I could not afford to buy the
    bits on the off-chance it worked. So it got sold for more (in a
    non-working state) than I suspect my U80 with 4x450 and 4GB is worth now!

+ Reply to Thread