Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued? - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued? - SUN ; "James Sweet" writes: >"Dave" wrote in message news:43567331@212.67.96.135... >> I have an SS20 and would like to put an age range on it. What is the >> youngest and oldest it could be? >Mid 90's Around 1993/4 was when they ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

  1. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    "James Sweet" writes:

    >"Dave" wrote in message news:43567331@212.67.96.135...
    >> I have an SS20 and would like to put an age range on it. What is the
    >> youngest and oldest it could be?


    >Mid 90's


    Around 1993/4 was when they were first introduced and around 1999 was when
    they were dropped as a stock line. What's surprising is that the
    Sparcstation 5's with 170 Mhz Turbosparc-based system boards were sold for
    at least a year or two after Sun dropped the Sparc 20's and all the other
    versions of the Sparcstation 5.

    Regards,

    Craig.


    --
    SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996
    Main site: www.sunrk.com.au - Ebay Shop: www.ebayshops.com.au/sunripenedkernels
    Ph: +612-9520-2547 - Fax: +612-9520-2557 - Mobile: 04-2163-0547 (int. +614)

  2. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    Kralizec Craig wrote:
    > "James Sweet" writes:
    >
    >
    >>"Dave" wrote in message news:43567331@212.67.96.135...
    >>
    >>>I have an SS20 and would like to put an age range on it. What is the
    >>>youngest and oldest it could be?

    >
    >
    >>Mid 90's

    >
    >
    > Around 1993/4 was when they were first introduced and around 1999 was when
    > they were dropped as a stock line. What's surprising is that the
    > Sparcstation 5's with 170 Mhz Turbosparc-based system boards were sold for
    > at least a year or two after Sun dropped the Sparc 20's and all the other
    > versions of the Sparcstation 5.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Craig.
    >
    >


    Isn't this because the ss5's were used as SSP's for the Starfires.



  3. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Coy Hile wrote:

    > Isn't this because the ss5's were used as SSP's for the Starfires.


    Yep.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    URL: http://www.rite-group.com/rich

  4. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Coy Hile wrote:
    >
    >> Isn't this because the ss5's were used as SSP's for the Starfires.

    >
    >
    > Yep.
    >


    BTW, those 170MHz ss5's fly.

    -Coy (who has one at home)

  5. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    Coy Hile wrote:
    What's surprising is that the
    >> Sparcstation 5's with 170 Mhz Turbosparc-based system boards were sold
    >> for
    >> at least a year or two after Sun dropped the Sparc 20's and all the other
    >> versions of the Sparcstation 5.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Craig.
    >>


    > Isn't this because the ss5's were used as SSP's for the Starfires.


    Indeed, the SS5 was required as SSP until the Ultra 5 was certified and
    tested in this role.

  6. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    Rich Teer writes:

    >On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Coy Hile wrote:


    >> Isn't this because the ss5's were used as SSP's for the Starfires.


    >Yep.


    Forgive my naivety, but what is an 'SSP'?

    Craig.
    --
    SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996
    Main site: www.sunrk.com.au - Ebay Shop: www.ebayshops.com.au/sunripenedkernels
    Ph: +612-9520-2547 - Fax: +612-9520-2557 - Mobile: 04-2163-0547 (int. +614)

  7. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Kralizec Craig wrote:

    > Forgive my naivety, but what is an 'SSP'?


    "System Service Processor". Or Solaris Systems Programming,
    depending on the context. :-)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    URL: http://www.rite-group.com/rich

  8. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 20:50:50 +0000 (UTC), Kralizec Craig
    wrote:

    >Rich Teer writes:
    >
    >>On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Coy Hile wrote:

    >
    >>> Isn't this because the ss5's were used as SSP's for the Starfires.

    >
    >>Yep.

    >
    >Forgive my naivety, but what is an 'SSP'?


    System Service Processor. It is a stand alone system that is used to
    manage a 10K system.

    Josh

  9. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Kralizec Craig wrote:
    >
    >> Forgive my naivety, but what is an 'SSP'?

    >
    >
    > "System Service Processor". Or Solaris Systems Programming,
    > depending on the context. :-)
    >


    Rich,

    Am I the only one who still (correctly -- though the other option is
    AFAIK equally correct as well) pluralizes acronyms with an apostrophe?

    --
    Coy Hile
    hile@cse.psu.edu

  10. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Coy Hile wrote:

    > Am I the only one who still (correctly -- though the other option is AFAIK
    > equally correct as well) pluralizes acronyms with an apostrophe?


    I don't think you're the only one, but according to the Chicago Manual
    of Style, the correct way to pluralise an abbreviation is (in most
    cases) WITHOUT an apostrophe. See Section 6.16 of the CMoS 14th Edition,
    or 7.15 of the 15th Edition.

    A common practise is not necessarily a correct one. :-)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    URL: http://www.rite-group.com/rich

  11. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Coy Hile wrote:
    >
    >> Am I the only one who still (correctly -- though the other option is
    >> AFAIK equally correct as well) pluralizes acronyms with an apostrophe?

    >
    >
    > I don't think you're the only one, but according to the Chicago Manual
    > of Style, the correct way to pluralise an abbreviation is (in most
    > cases) WITHOUT an apostrophe. See Section 6.16 of the CMoS 14th Edition,
    > or 7.15 of the 15th Edition.
    >
    > A common practise is not necessarily a correct one. :-)
    >


    Ah. Perhaps I'm following an older standard? I recall being taught in
    English classes to pluralize with the apostrophe. Then again, I also
    remember being taught in elementary school that colour was spelt sans 'u'

    --
    Coy Hile
    hile@cse.psu.edu

  12. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Coy Hile wrote:

    > English classes to pluralize with the apostrophe. Then again, I also
    > remember being taught in elementary school that colour was spelt sans 'u'


    'Nuff said! :-)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    URL: http://www.rite-group.com/rich

  13. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    In comp.unix.solaris Coy Hile wrote:
    > Rich Teer wrote:
    >> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Kralizec Craig wrote:
    >>
    >>> Forgive my naivety, but what is an 'SSP'?

    >>
    >>
    >> "System Service Processor". Or Solaris Systems Programming,
    >> depending on the context. :-)
    >>

    >
    > Rich,
    >
    > Am I the only one who still (correctly -- though the other option is
    > AFAIK equally correct as well) pluralizes acronyms with an apostrophe?


    You'd be hard pressed to convince many linguists that an apostrophe is
    the correct way to pluralise acronyms. With VERY VERY FEW exceptions, the
    standard practice is (and for centuries has been) just to add an "s".

    And I'm only mentioning it because you brought it up first. :-)

    Colin

  14. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    Colin B. wrote:
    > In comp.unix.solaris Coy Hile wrote:


    >>Am I the only one who still (correctly -- though the other option is
    >>AFAIK equally correct as well) pluralizes acronyms with an apostrophe?


    > You'd be hard pressed to convince many linguists that an apostrophe is
    > the correct way to pluralise acronyms. With VERY VERY FEW exceptions, the
    > standard practice is (and for centuries has been) just to add an "s".


    I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many linguists who care one way
    or the other about prescriptivist grammar rules or even who think that
    most grammarians (English teachesr, people who write grammar books, etc.)
    have more than a weak grasp on the real rules behind language. There is
    no universal agreement among grammarians and there is no basis for
    deciding what is "right" other than convention.

    Having said that, in English and in typing class, I was taught that
    plurals of things which aren't words, such as literal strings of
    characters (like a model number), acronyms, and numbers, should be
    made with "'s". I was also taught that literal strings of characters
    should be underlined. According to those rules, I should type
    (where I've substituted ~~~~ for underlining):

    Both of the keyboardists had P80's from Roland.
    ~~~

    I took a typing class in the 1980's.

    After eating so many MRE's, they desperately wanted a hot meal.

    As near as I can tell, both the underlining and the apostrophe serve
    the purpose of showing a separation between the characters and the
    "s" the forms the plural. One can easily imagine a model number or
    acronym that ends in an "s", and it's a little awkward to shove the
    "s" for the plural right up against the letters in the model number.
    For example, Commodore sold a lot of 1084 monitors with its Amiga
    computers, and after a while they introduced a stereo version of
    the monitor (which had built-in speakers) called the 1084S. Without
    the apostrophe, things get awkward. Compare this:

    The 1084S's were neat because you could hook them up to a VCR.

    with this:

    The 1084Ss were neat because you could hook them up to a VCR.

    Underlining would help:

    The 1084Ss were neat because you could hook them up to a VCR.
    ~~~~~

    but underlining isn't available on certain typewriters or in plain
    ASCII text.

    There's a similar rule sometimes used when an acronym is used as a
    verb. For example, KO means "knock out" (or "knocked out"), and
    it's quite reasonable to say,

    The big guy had no trouble KO'ing the little guy.

    And then EAC is short for Exact Audio Copy (a Windows program IIRC),
    and you could write,

    I EAC'ed the tracks, so they should be bit-perfect.

    In neither of these cases does the apostrophe look weird (to me at
    least), and I think that's because it's a different usage and it
    doesn't trigger the same mental reaction as "'s" does.

    Anyway, the point of all this is that I think "'s" as a plural in
    these cases does have a legitimate purpose, and it has been taught
    that way in the past as the standard and correct way to do it.
    Whether we still need to use "'s" for acronyms' plurals is a whole
    different question. I may be that we have the means now to
    disambiguate situations like the aforementioned "1084Ss" easily
    enough with fonts (like putting "1048S" in italics or Courier) or
    in other ways, and maybe apostrophes for acronym plurals should
    be on the way out.

    But if so, I don't think that for that to happen that we need to
    believe that the apostrophe was never correct. It's OK for the
    rules of grammar and punctuation to change. After all, language
    is constantly changing, and there was a day when written language
    didn't even have punctuation at all. (Heck, as I understand it,
    the written form of Hebrew doesn't even have vowels.)

    - Logan

  15. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?



    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Coy Hile wrote:
    >
    >> Am I the only one who still (correctly -- though the other option is
    >> AFAIK equally correct as well) pluralizes acronyms with an apostrophe?

    >
    >
    > I don't think you're the only one, but according to the Chicago Manual
    > of Style, the correct way to pluralise an abbreviation is (in most
    > cases) WITHOUT an apostrophe. See Section 6.16 of the CMoS 14th Edition,
    > or 7.15 of the 15th Edition.
    >
    > A common practise is not necessarily a correct one. :-)
    >

    Right you are!!
    A good example is using then where than is correct and visa-versa.


  16. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    chocolatemalt writes:

    >Excellent points. I would also add that with our inundation of acronyms
    >in modern English, many are losing their capitalization in common use
    >and can't be pluralized in a workable manner without an apostrophe:


    > I have two cpu's in this computer.


    > I need a new cb radio... they got any cb's at that store?


    Except that they're not acronyms but rather abbreviations.


    Casper
    --
    Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
    to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
    Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
    be fiction rather than truth.

  17. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > chocolatemalt writes:
    >
    >
    >>Excellent points. I would also add that with our inundation of acronyms
    >>in modern English, many are losing their capitalization in common use
    >>and can't be pluralized in a workable manner without an apostrophe:

    >
    >
    >> I have two cpu's in this computer.

    >
    >
    >> I need a new cb radio... they got any cb's at that store?

    >
    >
    > Except that they're not acronyms but rather abbreviations.
    >
    >
    > Casper

    And you still can't use an apostophe in the plural of cpu - that's an
    'orrible misuse. A cpu's plural is cpus.

    Pete.

  18. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, WSteffen wrote:

    > A good example is using then where than is correct and visa-versa.


    Indeed. Another pet peeve is people using "inquire" and "inquiry"
    when they mean "enquire" and "enquiry" respectively.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    URL: http://www.rite-group.com/rich

  19. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, chocolatemalt wrote:

    > Excellent points. I would also add that with our inundation of acronyms
    > in modern English, many are losing their capitalization in common use


    Nah, that's just sloppiness on the behalf of the person typing the
    abbreviation.

    On a similar note, it really bugs me when publications don't properly
    capitalise words, because of "house style". For example, the common
    use of "Sparc" instead of "SPARC".

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    URL: http://www.rite-group.com/rich

  20. Re: When was the SPARC 20 introduced and discontinued?

    In article ,
    Peter Bunclark wrote:

    > Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > > chocolatemalt writes:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Excellent points. I would also add that with our inundation of acronyms
    > >>in modern English, many are losing their capitalization in common use
    > >>and can't be pluralized in a workable manner without an apostrophe:

    > >
    > >
    > >> I have two cpu's in this computer.

    > >
    > >
    > >> I need a new cb radio... they got any cb's at that store?

    > >
    > >
    > > Except that they're not acronyms but rather abbreviations.


    Abbreviation: computer -> comp.
    Acronym: Citizen's Band -> CB

    I suppose "cb" could be a parvanym or subternym tho.

    > > Casper


    > And you still can't use an apostophe in the plural of cpu - that's an
    > 'orrible misuse. A cpu's plural is cpus.
    >
    > Pete.


    cpus? Oh yeah... I was walking on the beach sometime back and stepped
    on a sea cucumber -- sea pus all over my foot. :P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast