Ultra1 Networking Problem - SUN

This is a discussion on Ultra1 Networking Problem - SUN ; Hi, apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, or in the wrong place. I've recently purchased an Ultra1 from eBay, and I'm having a few problems getting the networking to work on the machine. When I try to ...

  1. Ultra1 Networking Problem

    Hi, apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, or in the wrong place.

    I've recently purchased an Ultra1 from eBay, and I'm having a few problems
    getting the networking to work on the machine. When I try to run 'ifconfig
    -a', I get the following

    # ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=1000849 mtu 8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

    No sign at all of the network interface there, I then dropped down to the ok
    prompt and tried running 'test net' which gave me the following

    ok test net

    Using AUI Ethernet Interface
    Internal loopback test -- Ethernet chip initialization failed
    Using TP Ethernet Interface
    Internal loopback test -- Ethernet chip initialization failed
    net selftest failed. Return code = -1

    I also tried running net boot, and with ethereal running on another machine I
    can see the rarp packets hitting the wire, but I am unable to get the
    networking to respond in any other way. The link light on my hub is also
    illumnated. I have also tried using the same cable, in the same port with
    another machine and it works fine.

    I have also tried setting tpe-link-test to true, to no effect, have attempted
    to run reset-all to no effect, and powering down the machine also has no
    effect.

    The machine in question is an Ultra1 SBus ( UltraSPARC 143MHz), with OpenBoot
    3.11

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Regards,

    Michael Ramplin
    mike ( at ) bytegenerator ( dot ) com

  2. Re: Ultra1 Networking Problem

    Michael Ramplin wrote:

    > Hi, apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, or in the wrong
    > place.
    >
    > Using AUI Ethernet Interface
    > Internal loopback test -- Ethernet chip initialization failed
    > Using TP Ethernet Interface
    > Internal loopback test -- Ethernet chip initialization failed
    > net selftest failed. Return code = -1

    I've got two Ultra 1s, and they both do this. My opinion is that the
    ethernet chip is dodgy on these machines. At the weekend I might try and
    get my soldering iron out, and see if it's just a dry joint. If it is,
    I'll let you know :-)

    --
    Graham Lee
    Wadham College