dual boot - SUN

This is a discussion on dual boot - SUN ; I have Sun solaris 8 in my system Sparc Ultra. I need to install SunOS system in another disk and use dual boot to boot up either Solaris 8 or SunOS which depends on the users. Thus we need two ...

  1. dual boot

    I have Sun solaris 8 in my system Sparc Ultra. I need to install SunOS
    system in another disk
    and use dual boot to boot up either Solaris 8 or SunOS which depends on the
    users.
    Thus we need two different operating sytem in one system.
    Would any one give me a tip or point out the URL or documents how to install
    SunOS and how
    to use dual boot to boot up either Solaris or SunOS.

    Thanks in addvance.

  2. Re: dual boot

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:09:10 -0400, cljlk wrote:

    > I have Sun solaris 8 in my system Sparc Ultra. I need to install SunOS
    > system in another disk
    > and use dual boot to boot up either Solaris 8 or SunOS which depends on the
    > users.

    No problem at all.

    > Thus we need two different operating sytem in one system.

    You can run only one of them at a time, you know.

    > Would any one give me a tip or point out the URL or documents how to install
    > SunOS and how
    > to use dual boot to boot up either Solaris or SunOS.

    Just install the second OS to a separate drive. I run Solaris 9 on c0t0d0
    and interchangably Solaris 8 and Solaris 10-beta on c0t5d0.

    At the ok prompt:

    ok boot disk0 # boots Solaris 9
    ok boot disk5 # boots Solaris 8 or 10-beta depending on which drive is
    # in that slot of the array.

    > Thanks in addvance.

    You're welcome.

  3. Re: dual boot

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:49:44 -0400, cljlk wrote:

    > Thanks Dave.
    > Could I set up an easy way on prompt to boot up either Solaris or SunOS?
    > For instance:
    > enter 1 is for booting up Solaris, and enter 2 is for booting SunOS.
    > It will be easier for end user.

    You could write a script which uses eeprom to alter the default boot
    device and have your user run that before rebooting.

    Otherwise simply educate your user which disk contains which OS.

  4. Re: dual boot

    Followups set to comp.sys.sun.admin.

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:03:46 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:49:44 -0400, cljlk wrote:

    > > Could I set up an easy way on prompt to boot up either Solaris or SunOS?
    > > For instance:
    > > enter 1 is for booting up Solaris, and enter 2 is for booting SunOS.
    > > It will be easier for end user.

    > You could write a script which uses eeprom to alter the default boot
    > device and have your user run that before rebooting.
    >
    > Otherwise simply educate your user which disk contains which OS.

    Alternatively, set up the appropriate devaliases in the OBP for your menu
    choices. Then, create a custom banner with your menu text.

    The following article gives you more information on creating custom
    banners and logos:

    http://www.serverworldmagazine.com/m.../09/prom.shtml

    Also see docs.sun.com for references on the OpenBOOT PROM.

    --
    Devin L. Ganger
    "Aikido is based around the central precept of letting an attack take its

  5. Re: dual boot

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:59:05 -0400, cljlk wrote:

    > I have Solaris 8 in c0t0d0. How to install SunOS into c0t2d0?
    > When I install Solaris 8, on OK prompt I type "boot cdrom". What is the
    > command for
    > installing into c0t2d0.

    The installer should give you the opportunity to choose which disk on
    which the OS gets installed. If the version of SunOS which you want to
    install does not give you that option, then install SunOS to c0t0d0 and
    Solaris 8 to c0t2d0.

  6. Re: dual boot

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, cljlk wrote:

    > I have Sun solaris 8 in my system Sparc Ultra. I need to install SunOS
    > system in another disk

    If you're using the term "SunOS" to mean SunOS 4.x (aka Solaris 1.x)
    or earlier, you're SOL: those older versions of the OS don't support
    Ultras.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,