64 CPU systems - MASSIVE scaling - SUN

This is a discussion on 64 CPU systems - MASSIVE scaling - SUN ; http://www.directionsmag.com/pressre...?press_id=7379 http://science.slashdot.org/science/...id=137&tid=185...

  1. 64 CPU systems - MASSIVE scaling

  2. Re: 64 CPU systems - MASSIVE scaling

    In article ,
    James smyth wrote:
    >http://www.directionsmag.com/pressre...?press_id=7379
    >http://science.slashdot.org/science/...id=137&tid=185

    You post a link, but no opinion or other framing information to go with it?
    Is the mere presence of a link supposed to connote sufficient value in the
    article for me to waste my time cutting and pasting the link into my browser?

    Besides, 64 CPU systems are old news for non-Intel architectures as are large
    scale compute arrays (take a look at any of the ASCI projects - one of which
    had a 5K-CPU compute array composed of 256-CPU systems).

    Throw in the fact that the 64-CPU Itaniums systems aren't much cheaper than
    other types of 64-CPU systems and it's not really that big of a story. Altix
    systems are not exactly running vanilla versions of either the Intel hardware
    or the Linux OS.

    And, since you felt like cross-posting into two different sets of newsgroups
    (Solaris and linux oriented), why did you not also post into the SGI news
    groups, as this was really about SGI more than Sun/Solaris or simply linux.

    -tom

    --

    "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer." --me

  3. Re: 64 CPU systems - MASSIVE scaling

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Thomas H Jones II wrote:

    > In article ,
    > James smyth wrote:
    > >http://www.directionsmag.com/pressre...?press_id=7379
    > >http://science.slashdot.org/science/...id=137&tid=185
    > >

    > You post a link, but no opinion or other framing information to go with it?
    > Is the mere presence of a link supposed to connote sufficient value in the
    > article for me to waste my time cutting and pasting the link into my browser?

    James Shyte, sorry, Smyth, is a frequent troller here. Like
    all trolls, he's best ignored.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  4. Re: 64 CPU systems - MASSIVE scaling

    On Thursday 24 July 2003 4:03 pm in uk.comp.sys.sun Thomas H Jones II wrote:

    > And, since you felt like cross-posting into two different sets of
    > newsgroups (Solaris and linux oriented), why did you not also post into
    > the SGI news groups, as this was really about SGI more than Sun/Solaris or
    > simply linux.

    Because he is a troll.
    Worse, a bloody annoying troll who morphs every time I plonk him.
    A close evaluation of his headers shows that he is really the same
    eejit who has been trolling from a cableinet account for almost a year
    under various identities.

+ Reply to Thread