Re: Work in Europe? (Australian) - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: Work in Europe? (Australian) - SUN ; On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, C. Newport wrote: > IT in the UK and the EU is fscked and showing no signs of recovery. It's the same sad story on this side of the pond, too... :-( -- Rich Teer, ...

  1. Re: Work in Europe? (Australian)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  2. Re: Work in Europe? (Australian)

    In comp.sys.sun.admin Rich Teer wrote:
    > It's the same sad story on this side of the pond, too... :-(

    I think that's a little strong. I'm not saying the situation
    is great by any means, but there is work to be had. I know of a couple
    companies that recently hired technical people in NYC, and I hear that
    California is looking up again. Unfortunately most of the work seems to
    be in the financial field, but at least there is some.

    (NGs and Follow-ups trimmed.)

    JDW

  3. Re: Work in Europe? (Australian)

    Rob L wrote:
    > What's the IT job scene like in Australia compared to it's f*ked Euro/US
    > counterparts?
    >
    > "Rich Teer" wrote in message
    >
    >>On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, C. Newport wrote:
    >>

    >>>IT in the UK and the EU is fscked and showing no signs of recovery.

    >>It's the same sad story on this side of the pond, too... :-(
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA
    >>
    >>President,
    >>Rite Online Inc.
    >>
    >>Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Crap here in Oz too. 1/6 of a page of IT jobs in the Brisbane Courier
    Mail. Normally there are 2 pages.

    No signs of it getting better either.

  4. Re: Work in Europe? (Australian)

    Bards (bards1888@yahoo.com.au.au) wrote:
    :
    : Crap here in Oz too. 1/6 of a page of IT jobs in the Brisbane Courier
    : Mail. Normally there are 2 pages.
    :
    : No signs of it getting better either.
    :

    http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/hr/...0276063,00.htm
    Forget IT, Australian students told: ZDNet Australia: News & Tech: HR

    "The rampant outsourcing of IT jobs could well sound the death knell
    for Australia's technology industry, an IT Manager Australia survey
    revealed.

    ITM members were asked if students in Australia would be discouraged
    from considering IT as a career if offshore outsourcing continued to
    shrink the local employment market.

    More than 90 percent of members said based upon current conditions,
    they wouldn't recommend information technology as a viable career
    path.

    "I'd rather my kids opt for nursing as a profession--it has both local
    and global demand," said ITM member James Michaels, who works for a
    telecommunications company in Sydney.

    Michaels said there was a huge "disconnect" in the supply and demand
    chain. "I think we've reached a saturation point...there's just too
    many skilled techies out of work and they're all fighting for either
    the same pie or the scraps left behind post-outsourcing," he said..."

    --Jerry Leslie (my opinions are strictly my own)
    Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

+ Reply to Thread