Sorry, but any ideas fo a final-year uni project? - SUN

This is a discussion on Sorry, but any ideas fo a final-year uni project? - SUN ; Hi all, I'm going to go into the final year of my Computer Networks & Communications degree and need to come up with an idea for my final-year project. Any suggestions or ideas will be gratefully received. I'm interested in ...

  1. Sorry, but any ideas fo a final-year uni project?

    Hi all,

    I'm going to go into the final year of my Computer Networks &
    Communications degree and need to come up with an idea for my
    final-year project. Any suggestions or ideas will be gratefully
    received.
    I'm interested in Sun hardware and the Solaris OS and I've been
    working with a lot of Sun gear as a sysadmin for my intern year. At
    the moment I'm kind of thinking about producinga tool which reads the
    tarred-up data output from running the explorer (SUNWexplo) package.
    It's basically a package which collects a whole mass of diagnostic
    data about a server and sends it to the engineers who can use it to
    diagnose any problems the server had.
    Another half-idea is to produce a tool which can map out an entire
    network and then illustrate the state of the network on the screen
    (i.e. hostnames, ping times, IP addresses etc). Trouble is, I'm pretty
    sure this idea's been done a million times before and a million times
    better.
    A friend recommended I look at maybe investigating forensic databases
    - I think the idea is basically that the database records every
    relevant action that takes place on a server, like the logs, so that
    it may be used reliably in any possible investigation. This opens up a
    whole loads of issues like ensuring the database is 100% secure and
    tamperproof.
    Ideally I would like to do a project that does involve the
    investigation of networks in some way, but I'm open to anything, and I
    also would consider myself able to pick things up pretty easily after
    a good bit of reading around the subject. I'm planning on learning a
    lot of java and maybe php in the next year too.

    TIA

    Cheers

    Mark

  2. Re: Sorry, but any ideas fo a final-year uni project?

    Sorry your post has expired from my news server, so I don't know your
    original question, so are going on the subject title.

    How about a comparision of the many ways of getting better peformance
    from multiple processing. There are good physical reasons you can't
    just get better and better peformance from one cpu, so ultimiately
    high-performance machines are going to have to use more than once
    processing element. You might consider:

    a) Multi-threaded prorgram, running multiple threads on different
    cpus.
    b) The approach of 'setiathome'
    c) I once got involved in someone efforts to solve chess moves, but he
    organised that badly, sending me the same data files more than once,
    forgot to take into account I had multiple cpus .... etc. I gave up
    with that.
    c) OpenMP
    d) MPICH.
    e) Compilers that can automatically parallelise (ignore spelling) bits
    of your program.
    f) Intel's Hyperthreading.
    g) and severl more.

    You could consider peformance, ease of programming ...

    That could easily make a PhD project, so you would need to be careful
    to limit yourself to a small subset of all the possibilities.

    Good luck.

    PS, you could add in your dissertation you took suggestions from a
    newsgroup. It shows initiative - something I look for when marking
    undergrad/postgrad projects.

    --
    Dr. David Kirkby,
    Senior Research Fellow,

  3. Re: Sorry, but any ideas fo a final-year uni project?

    g_i_f_f_o@hotmail.com (Mark) wrote in message news:...

    Hi everyone,

    I'd just like to say a big thanks to everyone who took the time to
    post a suggestion and it's definitely given me a few more ideas I
    could pursue. I most like the patch tool idea, but after looking into
    it I believe Sun have released a very similar application called Patch
    Management System which is a module for the Sun Management Center. I
    haven't had the time to look into it in too much detail but I
    certainly will at some point in the future.

    Once again, many thanks!

    Cheers

    Mark

+ Reply to Thread