HP showcases its cluster initiatives and products - SUN

This is a discussion on HP showcases its cluster initiatives and products - SUN ; HP is showcasing its Linux cluster initiatives and products at the ClusterWorld conference this week in San Jose, CA. According to HP, the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) is using a 64-node cluster of HP rx2600 servers, based on ...

  1. HP showcases its cluster initiatives and products

    HP is showcasing its Linux cluster initiatives and products at the ClusterWorld
    conference this week in San Jose, CA.

    According to HP, the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) is
    using a 64-node cluster of HP rx2600 servers, based on Itanium 2 procesors servers
    running Linux, to test software, interconnects, and compute-intensive scientific
    applications. "We are looking forward to expanding our Linux and Itanium cluster
    environment with this new HP cluster and will use it for scaling up cluster
    software packages, such as OSCAR and VMI, and for applications on the HP
    platform," said Robert Pennington, senior associate director of computing and data
    management, NCSA.

    Is there anyone who thinks the Itanium 2 WON'T be the defacto 64-bit processor in
    2 years time from now ?

  2. Re: HP showcases its cluster initiatives and products

    "James smyth" wrote in message
    > HP is showcasing its Linux cluster initiatives and products at the

    ClusterWorld
    > conference this week in San Jose, CA.
    >
    > According to HP, the National Center for Supercomputing Applications

    (NCSA) is
    > using a 64-node cluster of HP rx2600 servers, based on Itanium 2 procesors

    servers
    > running Linux, to test software, interconnects, and compute-intensive

    scientific
    > applications. "We are looking forward to expanding our Linux and Itanium

    cluster
    > environment with this new HP cluster and will use it for scaling up

    cluster
    > software packages, such as OSCAR and VMI, and for applications on the HP
    > platform," said Robert Pennington, senior associate director of computing

    and data
    > management, NCSA.

    > Is there anyone who thinks the Itanium 2 WON'T be the defacto 64-bit

    processor in
    > 2 years time from now ?

    Considering its stunning lack of progress so far, Me for one!

    Woody

  3. Re: HP showcases its cluster initiatives and products

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > "James smyth" writes:
    > >
    > > Is there anyone who thinks the Itanium 2 WON'T be the defacto 64-bit
    > > processor in 2 years time from now ?

    > If Itanium sales continue to fall at the same rate they fell in
    > first quarter of this year (the last for which figures are available),
    > they will reach zero around October/November this year. It's dead.

    I wonder what's taking it so long. I predicted August. Maybe I'll
    still be right.

    > So, is there anyone who thinks the Itanium 2 WILL be the defacto 64-bit
    > processor in 2 years time from now ? James, probably...

    James would like to enter into a defacto relationship with it.
    Too bad it won't last.

    -am 2003

  4. Re: HP showcases its cluster initiatives and products

    In comp.unix.solaris James smyth wrote:
    > HP is showcasing its Linux cluster initiatives and products at the ClusterWorld
    > conference this week in San Jose, CA.

    > According to HP, the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) is
    > using a 64-node cluster of HP rx2600 servers, based on Itanium 2 procesors servers
    > running Linux, to test software, interconnects, and compute-intensive scientific
    > applications. "We are looking forward to expanding our Linux and Itanium cluster
    > environment with this new HP cluster and will use it for scaling up cluster
    > software packages, such as OSCAR and VMI, and for applications on the HP
    > platform," said Robert Pennington, senior associate director of computing and data
    > management, NCSA.

    > Is there anyone who thinks the Itanium 2 WON'T be the defacto 64-bit processor in
    > 2 years time from now ?

    It won't be. First, I suspect there can't be such a thing as a defacto
    64-bit processor. There has never been. With G5 and Opteron processors
    rising and the new IBM Power and Sun UltraSPARC V designs being worked
    on, I doubt Itanium2 will have such chance. Probably Linux running on
    Opteron or Itanium 2 will dominate the HPC market indeed, but there is
    more to computing than just the HPC.

    Even Dell isn't so sure about it:

    "While an ally of Intel, Dell admitted that Itanic sales were too slow
    to merit picking up the McKinley chip. Recent IDC numbers back up
    Dell's stance. The company shipped a grand total of 14 Itanic servers
    in the first quarter."

    "With any luck, Dell will be able to crack right through to
    triple-digit Itanic system sales by year end. If not, the Madison
    boxes may end up on the scrap heap too. "

    --
    Akop Pogosian

    This space has been accidentally left blank.

+ Reply to Thread