Re: IBM bets 2.9 Billion on Linux for semiconductor manufacture - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: IBM bets 2.9 Billion on Linux for semiconductor manufacture - SUN ; On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Bruce Adler wrote: > I don't have any of Intel's financial data from that period, but I > wouldn't be surprised if Intel was spending $3 billion per year, for > several years running, building ...

  1. Re: IBM bets 2.9 Billion on Linux for semiconductor manufacture

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Bruce Adler wrote:

    > I don't have any of Intel's financial data from that period, but I
    > wouldn't be surprised if Intel was spending $3 billion per year, for
    > several years running, building Pentium production lines all over the
    > world. And AFAIK each of those production lines was managed by a network
    > of Solaris x86 systems. Of course, every individual piece of equipment
    > at every step on the line had it's own embedded controller and/or
    > proprietary computer, but the whole production line and the whole plant
    > was tied together with Solaris x86 systems. In other words, Sx86 was the
    > backbone of a Pentium plant.

    Do they still sell Sun x86?

    --
    http://www.munted.org.uk - updated 2003/06/29.

    Telephone: A clever device by which two people in different places can
    mutually admire each other's total inability to say anything coherent

  2. Re: IBM bets 2.9 Billion on Linux for semiconductor manufacture

    Alex Buell writes:

    >On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Bruce Adler wrote:

    >> I don't have any of Intel's financial data from that period, but I
    >> wouldn't be surprised if Intel was spending $3 billion per year, for
    >> several years running, building Pentium production lines all over the
    >> world. And AFAIK each of those production lines was managed by a network
    >> of Solaris x86 systems. Of course, every individual piece of equipment
    >> at every step on the line had it's own embedded controller and/or
    >> proprietary computer, but the whole production line and the whole plant
    >> was tied together with Solaris x86 systems. In other words, Sx86 was the
    >> backbone of a Pentium plant.

    >Do they still sell Sun x86?

    Yes!

    Casper