IEEE754 floating point traps - SUN

This is a discussion on IEEE754 floating point traps - SUN ; How can I turn on the IEEE754 floating point traps from a C program? The man page for sigfpe is not very helpful-- it says that in in order to intercept a SIGFPE code, one must first "Enable the relevant ...

  1. IEEE754 floating point traps

    How can I turn on the IEEE754 floating point traps from a C program?

    The man page for sigfpe is not very helpful-- it says that in in order
    to intercept a SIGFPE code, one must first "Enable the relevant
    IEEE754 trapping capability in the hardware, perhaps by using
    assembly-language instructions. ... No IEE754-related SIGFPE signals
    will be generated unless those hardware mode bits are enabled." I
    don't particularly want to write assembly language.

    I *think* (my memory may be faulty) that in the past I called
    ieee_handler for this purpose, but with our latest release of Solaris
    I get an undefined reference when I try this.

    My environment: Sun sparc ultra-2, Solaris 9, Sun Workshop 7.0.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: IEEE754 floating point traps

    On 26 Jun 2003, John Warren wrote:

    > How can I turn on the IEEE754 floating point traps from a C program?

    The short answer is "buy a copy of my book when it comes out". :-)

    > The man page for sigfpe is not very helpful-- it says that in in order
    > to intercept a SIGFPE code, one must first "Enable the relevant
    > IEEE754 trapping capability in the hardware, perhaps by using
    > assembly-language instructions. ... No IEE754-related SIGFPE signals
    > will be generated unless those hardware mode bits are enabled." I
    > don't particularly want to write assembly language.

    Yeah - it's kinda black magic.

    The incantations you're looking for are fpgetmask() and
    fpsetmask().

    HTH,

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  3. Re: IEEE754 floating point traps

    Thanks, that works exactly as I wanted.
    -John Warren

    Rich Teer wrote in message news:...
    > On 26 Jun 2003, John Warren wrote:
    >
    > > How can I turn on the IEEE754 floating point traps from a C program?

    > The short answer is "buy a copy of my book when it comes out". :-)
    >
    > > The man page for sigfpe is not very helpful-- it says that in in order
    > > to intercept a SIGFPE code, one must first "Enable the relevant
    > > IEEE754 trapping capability in the hardware, perhaps by using
    > > assembly-language instructions. ... No IEE754-related SIGFPE signals
    > > will be generated unless those hardware mode bits are enabled." I
    > > don't particularly want to write assembly language.

    > Yeah - it's kinda black magic.
    >
    > The incantations you're looking for are fpgetmask() and
    > fpsetmask().
    >
    > HTH,

+ Reply to Thread