Re: Newisys AMD x86-64 servers - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: Newisys AMD x86-64 servers - SUN ; Yousuf Khan wrote: > > Perhaps they should call them dead-end servers. Too little, too late. > > These AMD Opterons can be scaled upto 8-way/system board with no special > glue logic; they simply work that way out of ...

  1. Re: Newisys AMD x86-64 servers

    Yousuf Khan wrote:

    > > Perhaps they should call them dead-end servers. Too little, too late.

    > These AMD Opterons can be scaled upto 8-way/system board with no special
    > glue logic; they simply work that way out of the box because of the
    > Hypertransport links. Packaging and heat considerations may prevent anyone
    > from implementing a practical 8-way system board, but that's beside the
    > point.

    So? I'm not impressed. Sun had systems out with more than 8 CPUs
    nearly a decade ago. Inteland is still playing catchup.

    > With whatever existing crossbar connection technology a manufacturer
    > might already have, they can easily scale beyond the 8-way.

    Why don't you get back to us when they have more than 100.
    Of course, by that time, Sun will have raised the bar yet again.

    -am 2003

  2. Re: Newisys AMD x86-64 servers

    Anthony Mandic wrote:

    > Yousuf Khan wrote:
    >
    >> > Perhaps they should call them dead-end servers. Too little, too late.

    >> These AMD Opterons can be scaled upto 8-way/system board with no special
    >> glue logic; they simply work that way out of the box because of the
    >> Hypertransport links. Packaging and heat considerations may prevent
    >> anyone from implementing a practical 8-way system board, but that's
    >> beside the point.

    > So? I'm not impressed. Sun had systems out with more than 8 CPUs
    > nearly a decade ago. Inteland is still playing catchup.
    >
    >> With whatever existing crossbar connection technology a manufacturer
    >> might already have, they can easily scale beyond the 8-way.

    > Why don't you get back to us when they have more than 100.
    > Of course, by that time, Sun will have raised the bar yet again.

    Is 9632 processors big enough?

    ASCI Red is based on Pentium Pro processors and has been out for a few
    years.

    Come back when Sun have made more than 10,000, but of course by then
    somebody who isn't Sun will have raised the bar even more.

    Even the SGI Altix system goes to 64 Itanium chips and is a mass market box.
    The Sequent Symmetry boxes did 64CPUs a long time before Sun had it.

    Sun are actually playing catchup here, not intel land.

    P.

  3. Re: Newisys AMD x86-64 servers

    Paul S Brown writes:

    > Anthony Mandic wrote:
    > > Why don't you get back to us when they have more than 100.
    > > Of course, by that time, Sun will have raised the bar yet again.
    > >

    > Is 9632 processors big enough?
    >
    > ASCI Red is based on Pentium Pro processors and has been out for a few
    > years.

    Where can I buy these? Experimental platform don't count.

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

  4. Re: Newisys AMD x86-64 servers

    Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:

    > Paul S Brown writes:
    >
    > > Anthony Mandic wrote:
    > > > Why don't you get back to us when they have more than 100.
    > > > Of course, by that time, Sun will have raised the bar yet again.
    > > >

    > > Is 9632 processors big enough?
    > >
    > > ASCI Red is based on Pentium Pro processors and has been out for a few
    > > years.
    > >

    > Where can I buy these? Experimental platform don't count.

    Next he'll try and claim that x86 has been 64-bit for years
    longer that the UltraSparcs. Perhaps he should try for
    Nintendo. Heck, even they've been 64-bit for longer than Intel.

    -am 2003

  5. Re: Newisys AMD x86-64 servers

    Anthony Mandic wrote:

    > Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:
    >>
    >> Paul S Brown writes:

    >> > Is 9632 processors big enough?
    >> >
    >> > ASCI Red is based on Pentium Pro processors and has been out for a few
    >> > years.
    >> >

    >> Where can I buy these? Experimental platform don't count.

    > Next he'll try and claim that x86 has been 64-bit for years
    > longer that the UltraSparcs. Perhaps he should try for
    > Nintendo. Heck, even they've been 64-bit for longer than Intel.

    Umm - no, not going to. I know full well that Sparc has been 64bit since the
    US1 launched. I also know that x86 has only been 64bit for around 4 months
    since the launch of Hammer - Itanium isn't x86 by any useful definition.

    P.

  6. Re: Newisys AMD x86-64 servers

    In article <3EF96320.6B4C132B@hotmail.com>,
    Anthony Mandic wrote:
    | Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:

    | > Where can I buy these? Experimental platform don't count.
    |
    | Next he'll try and claim that x86 has been 64-bit for years
    | longer that the UltraSparcs. Perhaps he should try for
    | Nintendo. Heck, even they've been 64-bit for longer than Intel.

    x86 no, Intel... maybe, certainly not in general purpose CPUs, though.

+ Reply to Thread