Re: Solaris 9, logadm and files over 2G - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: Solaris 9, logadm and files over 2G - SUN ; In article , Ian Bell writes: > In article , posted on Mon, 23 > Jun 2003 and read in comp.sys.sun.admin, Casper H. S. Dik > wrote: >>Ian Bell writes: >> >>>In article , posted on >>>Fri, 20 Jun 2003 ...

  1. Re: Solaris 9, logadm and files over 2G

    In article ,
    Ian Bell writes:
    > In article <3ef6f3f1$0$49116$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, posted on Mon, 23
    > Jun 2003 and read in comp.sys.sun.admin, Casper H. S. Dik
    > wrote:
    >>Ian Bell writes:
    >>
    >>>In article <844b1161.0306201100.121ab69c@posting.google.com>, posted on

    >>>Thanks, but this has been confirmed as a known bug in Solaris 9 (and
    >>>still in Solaris 10 Beta), but not one that has yet been addressed. I
    >>>will try and make sure it is addressed soon :-)

    >>It's bug "4763519 logadm fails to rotate > 2GB files" which is
    >>fixed in the current internal incantation of S10.

    > How can Solaris 9 users best get hold of a fixed logadm?

    From what I've heard before, Sun typically fixes bugs first in the release
    under development, _then_ in the current release, and perhaps after that
    in the older still supported releases. I think which older release gets
    fixed when may be affected somewhat by who/how influential (in terms of $$
    of contracts involved)/how many is/are asking for which. (the $$ factor
    could be said to be equivalent to larger numbers of folks asking for the
    same thing, and the bottom line is the proper focus anyway, so don't take
    it as a slam, it's not meant that way)

    To get a patch before it's released, you probably need a support contract,
    and to bug them to give you a temporary or "point" patch. And that will
    probably have to be installed so that it does _not_ throw away the old
    files, that is to say so that it _can_ be rolled back, 'cause you may have
    to roll it back to properly install the real patch when it becomes
    available.

    Of course, I _could_ be all wet about any or all of the above, and no
    doubt if that's true, someone who actually knows will correct the
    misinformation.

    --
    mailto:rlhamil@mindwarp.smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil

  2. Re: Solaris 9, logadm and files over 2G

    In article ,
    Richard.L.Hamilton@mindwarp.smart.net (Richard L. Hamilton) wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Ian Bell writes:
    > > In article <3ef6f3f1$0$49116$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, posted on Mon, 23
    > > Jun 2003 and read in comp.sys.sun.admin, Casper H. S. Dik
    > > wrote:

    > >>It's bug "4763519 logadm fails to rotate > 2GB files" which is
    > >>fixed in the current internal incantation of S10.

    > > How can Solaris 9 users best get hold of a fixed logadm?

    > From what I've heard before, Sun typically fixes bugs first in the release
    > under development, _then_ in the current release, and perhaps after that
    > in the older still supported releases. I think which older release gets
    > fixed when may be affected somewhat by who/how influential (in terms of $$
    > of contracts involved)/how many is/are asking for which. (the $$ factor
    > could be said to be equivalent to larger numbers of folks asking for the
    > same thing, and the bottom line is the proper focus anyway, so don't take
    > it as a slam, it's not meant that way)
    >
    > To get a patch before it's released, you probably need a support contract,
    > and to bug them to give you a temporary or "point" patch. And that will
    > probably have to be installed so that it does _not_ throw away the old
    > files, that is to say so that it _can_ be rolled back, 'cause you may have
    > to roll it back to properly install the real patch when it becomes
    > available.
    >
    > Of course, I _could_ be all wet about any or all of the above, and no
    > doubt if that's true, someone who actually knows will correct the
    > misinformation.

    What's the big problem here? Aren't there freeware applications that do
    the job in place SUN's broken version? Perl had CPAN modules to do this
    sort of thing a couple years ago.

    If SUN's version is busted and you don't have a contract, why don't you
    use one of those? Waiting 6 months for a contract t-patch seems like a
    waste of time.

    Just fix it and move on...