SUN Blade 100 - SUN

This is a discussion on SUN Blade 100 - SUN ; Hello everyone! I'll start off with the fact that I'm somewhat new to SUN hardware in general. Prior to the system I just acquired the only SUN system I ever had a chance to see the inside of was a ...

  1. SUN Blade 100

    Hello everyone!

    I'll start off with the fact that I'm somewhat new to SUN hardware in
    general. Prior to the system I just acquired the only SUN system I ever
    had a chance to see the inside of was a SparcStation 10 (I think that
    is what it was called. My coworker refered to it as "the pizza box"
    most of the time.) OTOH, I am well versed in PC hardware at the home
    and small to medium size business level. I used to work for a white box
    PC shop, and these days I work for an IT consulting firm.

    Anyway (and more to the point), I just acquired a free SUN Blade 100
    system. It's got a small amount of RAM (just 128MB), a 20GB hard disk,
    and an internal CD-ROM. It does have an LSI SCSI card in it and the
    system came with a DVD-ROM tower with three DVD drives in it (It can
    hold twice that many). It has built in video only. Also I got the SUN
    USB keyboard and mouse that belonged to it.

    Now, I am not a total *nix newbie. I have played with FreeBSD, and I
    have used Linux on x86 PCs since Redhat 6.0 was the new kid on the
    block.

    Now that I've got all of that out of the way:

    1) It seems to require PC133 SDRAM. It has a single stick of PC133
    Micron. It does not accept any of the PC133 I have laying around the
    house. Are SUN systems extremely picky about RAM?

    2) It came with an extremely customized install of Solaris 8. It was an
    electronic catalog server so I wanted to wipe that out and load Solaris
    on it fresh. I learned how to boot from a DVD, and loaded Solaris 10.
    But it does not boot up into X. I guess this goes along with the fact
    that the installer also ran in text mode, because of the low amount of
    system memory. From some past Linux knowledge, I tried "init 5" because
    on Redhat systems it used to start the X server... haha... that made
    the system reboot! (Also, killall does not have the intended effect
    either!).

    3) If I want to do workstation/GUI work on this computer, what hardware
    upgrades would you recommend? I'm sure there's a slew of parts for
    these on eBay. What were the good display adapters for these machines?

    All comments/suggestions welcome!

    -Steve Rose

    Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
    Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
    In kernel as it is in user!

  2. Re: SUN Blade 100

    Steve Rose wrote:
    > Hello everyone!
    >
    > I'll start off with the fact that I'm somewhat new to SUN hardware in
    > general. Prior to the system I just acquired the only SUN system I ever
    > had a chance to see the inside of was a SparcStation 10 (I think that
    > is what it was called. My coworker refered to it as "the pizza box"

    Yes, that could be a SPARC 10.

    > 1) It seems to require PC133 SDRAM. It has a single stick of PC133
    > Micron. It does not accept any of the PC133 I have laying around the
    > house. Are SUN systems extremely picky about RAM?

    I've never owned one, but you might find it needs to be error correcting
    ram. Someone here will I am sure know.

    > 2) It came with an extremely customized install of Solaris 8. It was an
    > electronic catalog server so I wanted to wipe that out and load Solaris
    > on it fresh. I learned how to boot from a DVD, and loaded Solaris 10.
    > But it does not boot up into X. I guess this goes along with the fact
    > that the installer also ran in text mode, because of the low amount of
    > system memory. From some past Linux knowledge, I tried "init 5" because
    > on Redhat systems it used to start the X server... haha... that made
    > the system reboot!

    It should not! It should shut it down and remove power. From the init
    man page:

    5 Shut the machine down so that it is safe to
    remove the power. Have the machine remove
    power, if possible.

    (Also, killall does not have the intended effect
    > either!).

    init 6 is good for a reboot. Better than using the 'reboot' command,
    which is not as clean.

    > 3) If I want to do workstation/GUI work on this computer, what hardware
    > upgrades would you recommend? I'm sure there's a slew of parts for
    > these on eBay. What were the good display adapters for these machines?

    Others will no doubt tell you - it is not a machine I know. But I
    thought i'd answer some of your post,

  3. Re: SUN Blade 100

    Dave wrote:

    > Steve Rose wrote:
    > > Hello everyone!
    > >
    > > I'll start off with the fact that I'm somewhat new to SUN hardware
    > > in general. Prior to the system I just acquired the only SUN system
    > > I ever had a chance to see the inside of was a SparcStation 10 (I
    > > think that is what it was called. My coworker refered to it as "the
    > > pizza box"

    > Yes, that could be a SPARC 10.
    >

    > > 1) It seems to require PC133 SDRAM. It has a single stick of PC133
    > > Micron. It does not accept any of the PC133 I have laying around the
    > > house. Are SUN systems extremely picky about RAM?

    > I've never owned one, but you might find it needs to be error
    > correcting ram. Someone here will I am sure know.

    OK, I'll inspect that stick of Micron more closely when I get home. I
    don't recall if I saw ECC on the label or not. I could have easily read
    right over it and not realized it. Thanks for the suggestion.

    > > 2) It came with an extremely customized install of Solaris 8. It
    > > was an electronic catalog server so I wanted to wipe that out and
    > > load Solaris on it fresh. I learned how to boot from a DVD, and
    > > loaded Solaris 10. But it does not boot up into X. I guess this
    > > goes along with the fact that the installer also ran in text mode,
    > > because of the low amount of system memory. From some past Linux
    > > knowledge, I tried "init 5" because on Redhat systems it used to
    > > start the X server... haha... that made the system reboot!

    > It should not! It should shut it down and remove power. From the init
    > man page:
    >
    > 5 Shut the machine down so that it is safe to
    > remove the power. Have the machine remove
    > power, if possible.

    Well I didn't read Solaris init's man page. I was going from Linux
    experience, which has obviously deviated from the UNIX norm. Run levels
    on Redhat were:

    2 - single user
    3 - multi user cli
    4 - not used and/or custom setup
    5 - multi user GUI
    6 - reboot

    Of course I stopped using Redhat after they ditched the community and
    gave us Fedora Core. Since then I have used various Linux distros:
    Slackware, Ubuntu, and Gentoo to name a few.

    > (Also, killall does not have the intended effect
    > > either!).

    > init 6 is good for a reboot. Better than using the 'reboot' command,
    > which is not as clean.

    Thanks for the tip. I'll stop using reboot now.

    > > 3) If I want to do workstation/GUI work on this computer, what
    > > hardware upgrades would you recommend? I'm sure there's a slew of
    > > parts for these on eBay. What were the good display adapters for
    > > these machines?

    > Others will no doubt tell you - it is not a machine I know. But I
    > thought i'd answer some of your post,

    -Steve Rose

    Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
    Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
    In kernel as it is in user!

  4. Re: SUN Blade 100

    "Steve Rose" wrote in message
    > 1) It seems to require PC133 SDRAM. It has a single stick of PC133
    > Micron. It does not accept any of the PC133 I have laying around the
    > house. Are SUN systems extremely picky about RAM?

    The specs according to Sun should be PC133 SDRAM DIMM 3.3V ECC 10ns.
    Sizes come in 128 MB, 256 MB and 512 MB.

    > 2) It came with an extremely customized install of Solaris 8. It was an
    > electronic catalog server so I wanted to wipe that out and load Solaris
    > on it fresh. I learned how to boot from a DVD, and loaded Solaris 10.
    > But it does not boot up into X. I guess this goes along with the fact
    > that the installer also ran in text mode, because of the low amount of
    > system memory. From some past Linux knowledge, I tried "init 5" because
    > on Redhat systems it used to start the X server... haha... that made
    > the system reboot! (Also, killall does not have the intended effect
    > either!).

    Somehow I think 256 MB is the min for GUI on Solaris 10, but even if it's
    not it will run like a dog with only 128 MB.

    > 3) If I want to do workstation/GUI work on this computer, what hardware
    > upgrades would you recommend? I'm sure there's a slew of parts for
    > these on eBay. What were the good display adapters for these machines?

    More memory!
    At least a total of 1 GB if not a max of 2 GB.
    All 4 slots with 512 MB modules will give 2 GB.

    If you don't like the onboard video, then an XVR-100 card might be better.
    If you want a much higher end graphics card, then go for an XVR-500 or
    XVR-600.
    The onboard is already 24-bit color.

    > All comments/suggestions welcome!

    Trinean

  5. Re: SUN Blade 100

    Steve Rose wrote:
    > 3) If I want to do workstation/GUI work on this computer, what hardware
    > upgrades would you recommend? I'm sure there's a slew of parts for
    > these on eBay. What were the good display adapters for these machines?

    I still have a SB-100 that I bought about 7 years ago. It was my first SUN
    and I can't seem to part with it. I bumped it to 1-GB of RAM and put in a
    120 mb IDE drive. I run it as a headless HTTP server (department level
    workload) and it does the job nicely.

    It's internal video is adequate for desktop use. Works well with the
    1280x1024 LCD monitors. Definitely max out the RAM and get some more disk
    -- scsi if you can get it on that bus. I also replaced the case fan and
    the power supply fan to reduce the noise. That was a very good upgrade.

    You can also put a SunPCI-II Pro in that thing for next to nothing and run
    Windows in case you want to run TurboTax or something..

    Still, you'll find it pretty slow. I've shifted over to an Intel box and
    use SunRay thin clients. Much better performance and, it's very nice to
    work in a silent office.

    --
    HZ

  6. Re: SUN Blade 100

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:39:05 -0400, Trinean wrote:

    [SNIP]

    > The specs according to Sun should be PC133 SDRAM DIMM 3.3V ECC 10ns.
    > Sizes come in 128 MB, 256 MB and 512 MB.

    OK, that explains the problem - I don't have any ECC on hand. All of my
    PC133 is non-ECC.

    [SNIP]

    >> 3) If I want to do workstation/GUI work on this computer, what hardware
    >> upgrades would you recommend? I'm sure there's a slew of parts for
    >> these on eBay. What were the good display adapters for these machines?

    > More memory!
    > At least a total of 1 GB if not a max of 2 GB. All 4 slots with 512 MB
    > modules will give 2 GB.

    I just ordered a pair of 512MB PC133 ECC dimms from Newegg. I'll start
    with that 1GB of mem and see how it runs before spending for the other
    half.

    > If you don't like the onboard video, then an XVR-100 card might be
    > better. If you want a much higher end graphics card, then go for an
    > XVR-500 or XVR-600.
    > The onboard is already 24-bit color.
    >
    >> All comments/suggestions welcome!

    > Trinean

    Thanks for the video tips.

    -Steve Rose

    Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
    Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
    In kernel as it is in user!

  7. Re: SUN Blade 100

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:19:10 -0600, Hank Zoeller wrote:

    > Steve Rose wrote:
    >> 3) If I want to do workstation/GUI work on this computer, what hardware
    >> upgrades would you recommend? I'm sure there's a slew of parts for
    >> these on eBay. What were the good display adapters for these machines?

    > I still have a SB-100 that I bought about 7 years ago. It was my first SUN
    > and I can't seem to part with it. I bumped it to 1-GB of RAM and put in a
    > 120 mb IDE drive. I run it as a headless HTTP server (department level
    > workload) and it does the job nicely.

    Do you happen to know the max size IDE drive it will accept? I've got a
    pair of Seagate 300GB ATA100 drives lying around doing nothing at the
    moment.

    > It's internal video is adequate for desktop use. Works well with the
    > 1280x1024 LCD monitors. Definitely max out the RAM and get some more
    > disk -- scsi if you can get it on that bus. I also replaced the case
    > fan and the power supply fan to reduce the noise. That was a very good
    > upgrade.

    I ordered 1GB of mem (2x512MB) and if that's not enough I'll buy the
    other Gig of mem.

    > You can also put a SunPCI-II Pro in that thing for next to nothing and
    > run Windows in case you want to run TurboTax or something..

    Hmm... might be fun to tinker with.

    > Still, you'll find it pretty slow. I've shifted over to an Intel box
    > and use SunRay thin clients. Much better performance and, it's very
    > nice to work in a silent office.

    I did manage to get it to load X to try it out on the 128MB of RAM. It's
    slow, but I've actually seen worse. Using CDE instead of Gnome it was
    usable with lightweight apps. I think with enough RAM this 500MHz chip
    will suit my needs as I enter the world of Sun.

    -Steve Rose

    Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
    Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
    In kernel as it is in user!

  8. Re: SUN Blade 100

    Steve Rose writes:
    >Do you happen to know the max size IDE drive it will accept? I've got a
    >pair of Seagate 300GB ATA100 drives lying around doing nothing at the
    >moment.

    The hardware is old enough to be pre UltraATA, so 128GB max. You may
    be able to run those drives up at a reduced size, or may not. Depends
    on how they react with the pre-UltraATA controller.

    >> It's internal video is adequate for desktop use. Works well with the
    >> 1280x1024 LCD monitors. Definitely max out the RAM and get some more
    >> disk -- scsi if you can get it on that bus. I also replaced the case
    >> fan and the power supply fan to reduce the noise. That was a very good
    >> upgrade.

    I never could stand the built in video on it, the 3d-lite card was
    much better.. DRAM is always good.

    >I did manage to get it to load X to try it out on the 128MB of RAM. It's
    >slow, but I've actually seen worse. Using CDE instead of Gnome it was
    >usable with lightweight apps. I think with enough RAM this 500MHz chip
    >will suit my needs as I enter the world of Sun.

    This isn't much of an example of how they build their mid to big end servers.

    It was entry level, and now is old and slow, but still can function
    pretty well.

  9. Re: SUN Blade 100

    Steve Rose wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:39:05 -0400, Trinean wrote:
    >
    > [SNIP]
    >
    >> The specs according to Sun should be PC133 SDRAM DIMM 3.3V ECC 10ns.
    >> Sizes come in 128 MB, 256 MB and 512 MB.

    > OK, that explains the problem - I don't have any ECC on hand. All of my
    > PC133 is non-ECC.
    >
    > [SNIP]
    >
    >>> 3) If I want to do workstation/GUI work on this computer, what hardware
    >>> upgrades would you recommend? I'm sure there's a slew of parts for
    >>> these on eBay. What were the good display adapters for these machines?

    >> More memory!
    >> At least a total of 1 GB if not a max of 2 GB. All 4 slots with 512 MB
    >> modules will give 2 GB.

    > I just ordered a pair of 512MB PC133 ECC dimms from Newegg. I'll start
    > with that 1GB of mem and see how it runs before spending for the other
    > half.

    I think there was a jumper on the mb to allow for unbuffered memory.
    Can't remember if I'm thinking of the SB100 or the SB150 though.
    Hopefully the manual are still online at Sun somewhere.

    >> If you don't like the onboard video, then an XVR-100 card might be
    >> better. If you want a much higher end graphics card, then go for an
    >> XVR-500 or XVR-600.
    >> The onboard is already 24-bit color.
    >>
    >>> All comments/suggestions welcome!

    >> Trinean

    > Thanks for the video tips.
    >

    > -Steve Rose

    > Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
    > Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
    > In kernel as it is in user!

  10. Re: SUN Blade 100

    Steve Rose wrote:
    > Do you happen to know the max size IDE drive it will accept?

    128 GB is the maximum for that machine. The 120 GB drives are a nice match.

    On the video, there is a site that did some comparisons back in SB-100 era:

    http://home.comcast.net/~xperf/
    http://home.comcast.net/~xperf/perftable.html

    I can't remember if I ever ran an XVR-500 in the SB-100 or not. I did run
    the XVR-500 in a SB-1000 and thought it was a perfect match to that
    machine.. I may have some other "obsolete" video frame buffers laying
    around. If you decide the on-board video isn't good enough I'd be happy to
    send you whatever I have for the cost of shipping..
    --
    HZ

  11. Re: SUN Blade 100

    Steve Rose wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:19:10 -0600, Hank Zoeller wrote:

    > > Steve Rose wrote:
    > >> 3) If I want to do workstation/GUI work on this computer, what hardware
    > >> upgrades would you recommend? I'm sure there's a slew of parts for
    > >> these on eBay. What were the good display adapters for these machines?

    > > I still have a SB-100 that I bought about 7 years ago. It was my first SUN
    > > and I can't seem to part with it. I bumped it to 1-GB of RAM and put in a
    > > 120 mb IDE drive. I run it as a headless HTTP server (department level
    > > workload) and it does the job nicely.

    > Do you happen to know the max size IDE drive it will accept? I've got a
    > pair of Seagate 300GB ATA100 drives lying around doing nothing at the
    > moment.

    The controller is old, 130 MB if I remember right.

    > > It's internal video is adequate for desktop use. Works well with the
    > > 1280x1024 LCD monitors. Definitely max out the RAM and get some more
    > > disk -- scsi if you can get it on that bus. I also replaced the case
    > > fan and the power supply fan to reduce the noise. That was a very good
    > > upgrade.

    > I ordered 1GB of mem (2x512MB) and if that's not enough I'll buy the
    > other Gig of mem.

    That's the minimum you want for anything real.

    My SB-100 has 2 GB and shows 871 MB free with not much going on.

    To be fair, there is a mysql database and a webserver running which
    take aout 500 MB.

    > > You can also put a SunPCI-II Pro in that thing for next to nothing and
    > > run Windows in case you want to run TurboTax or something..

    > Hmm... might be fun to tinker with.

    > > Still, you'll find it pretty slow. I've shifted over to an Intel box
    > > and use SunRay thin clients. Much better performance and, it's very
    > > nice to work in a silent office.

    > I did manage to get it to load X to try it out on the 128MB of RAM. It's
    > slow, but I've actually seen worse. Using CDE instead of Gnome it was
    > usable with lightweight apps. I think with enough RAM this 500MHz chip
    > will suit my needs as I enter the world of Sun.

    The 1 GB will speed it up a lot.

    --
    Jim Pennino

    Remove .spam.sux to reply.

  12. Re: SUN Blade 100

    According to Dave :
    > Steve Rose wrote:
    > > Hello everyone!
    > >
    > > I'll start off with the fact that I'm somewhat new to SUN hardware in
    > > general. Prior to the system I just acquired the only SUN system I ever
    > > had a chance to see the inside of was a SparcStation 10 (I think that
    > > is what it was called. My coworker refered to it as "the pizza box"

    > Yes, that could be a SPARC 10.

    Or even all the way back to the SS-1 -- they were all called
    "pizzaboxes". :-)

    > > 1) It seems to require PC133 SDRAM. It has a single stick of PC133
    > > Micron. It does not accept any of the PC133 I have laying around the
    > > house. Are SUN systems extremely picky about RAM?

    > I've never owned one, but you might find it needs to be error correcting
    > ram. Someone here will I am sure know.

    The FEH (Field Engineer's Handbook) lists three DIMMS:

    370-4149 128 MB 3.3V ECC 10 nS SDRAM DIMM

    370-4150 256 MB 3.3V ECC 10 nS SDRAM DIMM

    370-4151 512 MB 3.3V ECC 10 nS SDRAM DIMM

    So -- you *do* need ECC (Error Correction Code) memory

    Obviously, you can do a lot better with the later ones, since
    there are only four slots total.

    Hmm ... it says:

    each bank addresses 512 MB of memory with 500 MHz UltraSPARC

    each bank addresses 1 GB of memory with >= 550 MHz UltraSPARC

    so if you have the faster ones, you could perhaps find some 1GB DIMMs
    and pump it up to 4GB total -- but the FEH does not list part numbers
    for those.

    The numbers which start each line are the Sun part number for
    the DIMM, and probably the best thing to use searching for them on eBay.

    > > 2) It came with an extremely customized install of Solaris 8. It was an
    > > electronic catalog server so I wanted to wipe that out and load Solaris
    > > on it fresh. I learned how to boot from a DVD, and loaded Solaris 10.
    > > But it does not boot up into X. I guess this goes along with the fact
    > > that the installer also ran in text mode, because of the low amount of
    > > system memory.

    This was with the installation being done with the keyboard and
    a monitor? Then I suspect that it is the memory which is the problem.
    I recently retired one which my wife was using (she now has an Ultra 60)
    which had I think two of the 128 MB versions, and that was sufficient to
    load Solaris 10 with X11 running, but it was *slow* when starting a web
    browser, because it had to use swap space to have enough memory.

    You should be able to put in an IDE drive up to 120 GB with no
    problems. The next size up would be above the hardware limit in the IDE
    controller interface, so it would treat it as no larger than that limit,
    which I *think* is 137 GB. Anyway -- you certainly want more than the
    20 GB IDE drive which it came with to have enough room to install all of
    Solaris 10 plus the Software Companion CD/DVD-ROM.

    [ ... ]

    > > 3) If I want to do workstation/GUI work on this computer, what hardware
    > > upgrades would you recommend?

    Lots more RAM to start with. 2GB is a nice size, 1GB is
    probably enough for most things.

    Replace the boot drive with a 120 GB IDE drive.

    > > I'm sure there's a slew of parts for
    > > these on eBay. What were the good display adapters for these machines?

    That I don't know. But I do know that the built-in one on mine
    won't handle larger than the default 1152x900 display size with 24 bit
    color depth.

    I don't think that it has the slot to accept the Creator-3D
    cards -- which are not PCI, but rather a unique slot. O.K. A check of
    the FEH shows that it does not, indeed, have the UPA slot for the
    Creator 3D.

    > Others will no doubt tell you - it is not a machine I know. But I
    > thought i'd answer some of your post,

    I haven't done much to expand it, because my wife does not like
    her machine to be changed. :-) Now that her machine is the Ultra-60, I
    plan to stuff OpenBSD into it with a quad 100BaseT/10BaseT ethernet card
    and turn it into a firewall to replace the older one built on an
    Ultra-1. I expect it to run cooler and draw less power at least. :-)

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  13. Re: SUN Blade 100

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Steve Rose wrote:
    >> I just ordered a pair of 512MB PC133 ECC dimms from Newegg. I'll start
    >> with that 1GB of mem and see how it runs before spending for the other
    >> half.

    > I think there was a jumper on the mb to allow for unbuffered memory.
    > Can't remember if I'm thinking of the SB100 or the SB150 though.
    > Hopefully the manual are still online at Sun somewhere.

    The SB100 only take unbuffered memory. Remember *not* to order
    registered DIMMS. The SB150 had a jumper so you could feed it with
    registered DIMMS. Unbuffered ECC DIMMs are hard to find.

    But registered DIMMs won't work in a SB100 (only SB150)!

    --
    Daniel

  14. Re: SUN Blade 100

    On Oct 5, 3:45 pm, "Steve Rose" wrote:
    > Hello everyone!
    >
    > I'll start off with the fact that I'm somewhat new to SUN hardware in
    > general. Prior to the system I just acquired the only SUN system I ever
    > had a chance to see the inside of was a SparcStation 10 (I think that
    > is what it was called. My coworker refered to it as "the pizza box"
    > most of the time.) OTOH, I am well versed in PC hardware at the home
    > and small to medium size business level. I used to work for a white box
    > PC shop, and these days I work for an IT consulting firm.
    >
    > Anyway (and more to the point), I just acquired a free SUN Blade 100
    > system. It's got a small amount of RAM (just 128MB), a 20GB hard disk,
    > and an internal CD-ROM. It does have an LSI SCSI card in it and the
    > system came with a DVD-ROM tower with three DVD drives in it (It can
    > hold twice that many). It has built in video only. Also I got the SUN
    > USB keyboard and mouse that belonged to it.
    >
    > Now, I am not a total *nix newbie. I have played with FreeBSD, and I
    > have used Linux on x86 PCs since Redhat 6.0 was the new kid on the
    > block.
    >
    > Now that I've got all of that out of the way:
    >
    > 1) It seems to require PC133 SDRAM. It has a single stick of PC133
    > Micron. It does not accept any of the PC133 I have laying around the
    > house. Are SUN systems extremely picky about RAM?
    >
    > 2) It came with an extremely customized install of Solaris 8. It was an
    > electronic catalog server so I wanted to wipe that out and load Solaris
    > on it fresh. I learned how to boot from a DVD, and loaded Solaris 10.
    > But it does not boot up into X. I guess this goes along with the fact
    > that the installer also ran in text mode, because of the low amount of
    > system memory. From some past Linux knowledge, I tried "init 5" because
    > on Redhat systems it used to start the X server... haha... that made
    > the system reboot! (Also, killall does not have the intended effect
    > either!).
    >
    > 3) If I want to do workstation/GUI work on this computer, what hardware
    > upgrades would you recommend? I'm sure there's a slew of parts for
    > these on eBay. What were the good display adapters for these machines?
    >
    > All comments/suggestions welcome!
    >
    > -Steve Rose

    > Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
    > Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
    > In kernel as it is in user!

    Get yourself a USP mouse and that should solve your problem.

+ Reply to Thread