Jasper SCSI + exabyte changer LUN - SUN

This is a discussion on Jasper SCSI + exabyte changer LUN - SUN ; I've got a V240 with a new Jasper dual port U320 card and an exabyte/tandberg Magnum 224 autoloader. The tape drive itself, a HP LTO3 shows up during a scsi-probe-all as well as to Solaris 10 as the usual magtape ...

  1. Jasper SCSI + exabyte changer LUN

    I've got a V240 with a new Jasper dual port U320 card and an
    exabyte/tandberg Magnum 224 autoloader.

    The tape drive itself, a HP LTO3 shows up during a scsi-probe-all as well
    as to Solaris 10 as the usual magtape device.

    The exabyte robot/jukebox device does not show up anywhere. All we can
    determine is that it's set to ID3 LUN1, and the tape drive itself is ID3
    LUN0.

    Tandberg say "enable LUN" support on the SCSI card's BIOS. It's a sun
    card therefore has no BIOS to play around in. Sun says, sorry, it's not a
    sun tape system, talk to Tandberg.

    So it looks like we need to enable the probing of all LUNs per SCSI ID,
    somehow. This seems to not be happend by default.

    I'm not clear on how this is done, of why it's even necesssary. How do
    such tape systems appear on the SCSI bus to people here?

    It doesn't seem possible to set the jukebox device to say ID4 LUN0, so
    making things simple doesn't seem to be an option.

  2. Re: Jasper SCSI + exabyte changer LUN

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > I've got a V240 with a new Jasper dual port U320 card and an
    > exabyte/tandberg Magnum 224 autoloader.
    >
    > The tape drive itself, a HP LTO3 shows up during a scsi-probe-all as well
    > as to Solaris 10 as the usual magtape device.
    >
    > The exabyte robot/jukebox device does not show up anywhere. All we can
    > determine is that it's set to ID3 LUN1, and the tape drive itself is ID3
    > LUN0.

    What software are you trying to use? There's no solaris driver for the
    jukebox.

    Perhaps you want to grab 'mtx', or are you using some software that has
    its own drivers (netbackup, networker, etc.)?

    > I'm not clear on how this is done, of why it's even necesssary. How do
    > such tape systems appear on the SCSI bus to people here?

    Tapes appear in /dev/rmt/*. Jukes depend on the software you're using.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: Jasper SCSI + exabyte changer LUN

    According to Cydrome Leader :
    > I've got a V240 with a new Jasper dual port U320 card and an
    > exabyte/tandberg Magnum 224 autoloader.
    >
    > The tape drive itself, a HP LTO3 shows up during a scsi-probe-all as well
    > as to Solaris 10 as the usual magtape device.
    >
    > The exabyte robot/jukebox device does not show up anywhere. All we can
    > determine is that it's set to ID3 LUN1, and the tape drive itself is ID3
    > LUN0.
    >
    > Tandberg say "enable LUN" support on the SCSI card's BIOS. It's a sun
    > card therefore has no BIOS to play around in. Sun says, sorry, it's not a
    > sun tape system, talk to Tandberg.
    >
    > So it looks like we need to enable the probing of all LUNs per SCSI ID,
    > somehow. This seems to not be happend by default.
    >
    > I'm not clear on how this is done, of why it's even necesssary. How do
    > such tape systems appear on the SCSI bus to people here?

    You need to edit your /kernel/drv/sgen.conf to add the proper
    lines to it. Here is an example from my Exabyte 430 in a Sun Fire 280R
    running Solaris 10 U3:

    #
    # For EXB-430 jukebox -- DoN.
    #
    device-type-config-list = "sequential","changer";
    inquiry-config-list= "EXABYTE","Exabyte";

    name="sgen" class="scsi" target=0 lun=0;

    > It doesn't seem possible to set the jukebox device to say ID4 LUN0, so
    > making things simple doesn't seem to be an option.

    I think that you can take what I have above, changing the last line to:

    name="sgen" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;

    and then touch /reconfigure and reboot the system. (devfsadm does not
    seem to work for this -- I think that perhaps it needs to load a driver
    at boot time.

    The generic scsi is left unconfigured because it is a potential
    security hole -- perhaps it can be convinced to let you access the raw
    disk devices. That is why you only enable the minimum you need, and
    make sure that there is a corresponding device.

    Once that is done, you should find a directory:

    /dev/scsi/changer

    and a file in there such as: c3t0d0 as a symlink to whatever your
    controller card came up as, and the proper SCSI ID there. The symlink
    in mine points to:

    ../../../devices/pci@8,700000/pci@2/scsi@4/sgen@0,0:changer

    Then -- you will need a program to access the changer. If you've
    installed amanda, you will probably also have mtx in there as a program
    to talk to the changer.

    You may also need something in /kernel/drv/scsi.conf to get the
    system to talk to the drive coherently. I don't have the drives you do
    (I have Mammoth 2 drives), so I can't help there.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  4. Re: Jasper SCSI + exabyte changer LUN

    Darren Dunham wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> I've got a V240 with a new Jasper dual port U320 card and an
    >> exabyte/tandberg Magnum 224 autoloader.
    >>
    >> The tape drive itself, a HP LTO3 shows up during a scsi-probe-all as well
    >> as to Solaris 10 as the usual magtape device.
    >>
    >> The exabyte robot/jukebox device does not show up anywhere. All we can
    >> determine is that it's set to ID3 LUN1, and the tape drive itself is ID3
    >> LUN0.

    > What software are you trying to use? There's no solaris driver for the
    > jukebox.

    Probably "libtool" from exabyte. The problem was the changer device wasn't
    being seen, and libtool refused to talk to a device it couldn't find.

    > Perhaps you want to grab 'mtx', or are you using some software that has
    > its own drivers (netbackup, networker, etc.)?

    The only commands that were working were the "mt" commands, as only the
    tape drive was visible. /dev/scsi/ didn't exist.

    >> I'm not clear on how this is done, of why it's even necesssary. How do
    >> such tape systems appear on the SCSI bus to people here?

    > Tapes appear in /dev/rmt/*. Jukes depend on the software you're using.

    In the the SCSI cable got replaced and everything appeared as it should,
    and entries in /dev/scsi/changer appeared.

    It's still not clear why the tape drive was visible and not the jukebox
    device.

    Are there any tools that can be used to stress a SCSI bus on a sparc
    machines, aside from attaching a drive at the of the SCSI bus and running
    bonnie or something like that?

+ Reply to Thread