Adaptec 1430SA - SUN

This is a discussion on Adaptec 1430SA - SUN ; Hello, Does anyone of you know if this controller works under Solaris 10? I have box with three disks connected to that controller and I would like to take advantage of using Solaris + ZFS. I haven't found this model ...

  1. Adaptec 1430SA

    Hello,

    Does anyone of you know if this controller works under Solaris 10?
    I have box with three disks connected to that controller and I would
    like to take advantage
    of using Solaris + ZFS.
    I haven't found this model on HCL web page, but maybe someone has some
    experience with this hardware?

    Lukasz

  2. Re: Adaptec 1430SA

    Lukasz Szymanski wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone of you know if this controller works under Solaris 10?
    > I have box with three disks connected to that controller and I would
    > like to take advantage
    > of using Solaris + ZFS.
    > I haven't found this model on HCL web page, but maybe someone has some
    > experience with this hardware?
    >
    > Lukasz

    I very much doubt it will work. To the best of my knowledge, there is no
    support for Adaptec chip sets. But my knowledge is not infinite!

    --
    Dave (from the UK)

    It is always of the form: month-year@althorne.org

    http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database

  3. Re: Adaptec 1430SA

    Lukasz Szymanski wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone of you know if this controller works under Solaris 10?
    > I have box with three disks connected to that controller and I would
    > like to take advantage
    > of using Solaris + ZFS.
    > I haven't found this model on HCL web page, but maybe someone has some
    > experience with this hardware?

    does solaris even work on your latop is the first question.

  4. Re: Adaptec 1430SA

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Lukasz Szymanski wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Does anyone of you know if this controller works under Solaris 10?
    >> I have box with three disks connected to that controller and I would
    >> like to take advantage
    >> of using Solaris + ZFS.
    >> I haven't found this model on HCL web page, but maybe someone has some
    >> experience with this hardware?

    > does solaris even work on your latop is the first question.

    I somehow looked up the wrong model and found the PCcard to firewire
    adapter- after all the stff below.

    I went ahread and tried in with a fresh install of 11/06 on a T41
    thinkpad, and it didn't work. The machine sees the carbus slots, but
    doesn't see anything plugged into them. Otherwise, everything else works
    less the PCcards and wireless.

    There do appear to be some sort of firewire storage drivers for solaris 10
    though.

  5. Re: Adaptec 1430SA

    Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > There do appear to be some sort of firewire storage drivers for solaris 10
    > though.

    Indeed - I have a couple of LaCie FW drives hooked up to my SB1500 and
    they are working just fine. Did have to use svcadm to disable vold to
    allow for format to label the drives and newfs to set up the UFS
    filesystem. Haven't tried ZFS with external drives though.

    - Erik

  6. Re: Adaptec 1430SA

    erik magnuson wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>
    >> There do appear to be some sort of firewire storage drivers for solaris 10
    >> though.

    > Indeed - I have a couple of LaCie FW drives hooked up to my SB1500 and
    > they are working just fine. Did have to use svcadm to disable vold to
    > allow for format to label the drives and newfs to set up the UFS
    > filesystem. Haven't tried ZFS with external drives though.
    >
    > - Erik

    I never got that adaptec firewire card to work with solaris. You should not
    have to shut off vold (although it's obnoxious and I prefer it off anyways)
    as a fresh disk won't have any filesystems to mount in the first place.

    It's likely one may need to do "something" to get solaris to play with pccard
    devices. Plain compact flash cards were not detected when inserted, even
    after I ran cfgadm.

  7. Re: Adaptec 1430SA

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > erik magnuson wrote:
    >
    >>Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>
    >>>There do appear to be some sort of firewire storage drivers for solaris 10
    >>>though.

    >>Indeed - I have a couple of LaCie FW drives hooked up to my SB1500 and
    >>they are working just fine. Did have to use svcadm to disable vold to
    >>allow for format to label the drives and newfs to set up the UFS
    >>filesystem. Haven't tried ZFS with external drives though.
    >>
    >>- Erik

    > I never got that adaptec firewire card to work with solaris. You should not
    > have to shut off vold (although it's obnoxious and I prefer it off anyways)
    > as a fresh disk won't have any filesystems to mount in the first place.

    Most external drives come pre-formatted - the single disk LaCie's were
    formatted VFAT32 and vold is very happy to mount the VFAT32 filesystem.

    > It's likely one may need to do "something" to get solaris to play with pccard
    > devices. Plain compact flash cards were not detected when inserted, even
    > after I ran cfgadm.

    Compact flash cards have generally 'just worked' for me (S10u1 and
    later) using a USB card reader. One exception was in using a card reader
    that apparently drifted out of spec - it would still work with Windoze
    but wouldn't work with either Solaris on Sparc or x86 - fixed the
    problem by getting a new card reader (card reader? wonder if I could
    hook up a CDC 405 via USB...).

    - Erik

+ Reply to Thread