How do I identify the motherboard revision in my Sun Blade 1000? - SUN

This is a discussion on How do I identify the motherboard revision in my Sun Blade 1000? - SUN ; All, I have seen discussions around Blade 1000/2000 being the same. I would like to upgrade my 900MHz Processors to the faster Cu 1200MHz. OPB is upgraded to the latest release. I just want to double check that I do ...

  1. How do I identify the motherboard revision in my Sun Blade 1000?

    All,

    I have seen discussions around Blade 1000/2000 being the same. I would
    like to upgrade my 900MHz Processors to the faster Cu 1200MHz. OPB is
    upgraded to the latest release. I just want to double check that I do
    not have one of the earliest motherboards. How do I identify my
    motherboard revision?

    Thank you all in advance.
    HD

  2. Re: How do I identify the motherboard revision in my Sun Blade 1000?

    "haydude" wrote in message
    news:1190119856.381976.78510@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...
    > All,
    >
    > I have seen discussions around Blade 1000/2000 being the same. I would
    > like to upgrade my 900MHz Processors to the faster Cu 1200MHz. OPB is
    > upgraded to the latest release. I just want to double check that I do
    > not have one of the earliest motherboards. How do I identify my
    > motherboard revision?
    >
    > Thank you all in advance.
    > HD

    Do the 1200 MHz CPUs require a certain model board?

    The P/Ns for the boards in the Sun Blade 1000/2000 and Sun Fire 280R are:

    501-4143
    501-5938
    501-6230
    501-6560

    So without resorting to visual inspection you can do:

    % prtfru | egrep '4143|5938|6230|6560'

    On my Sun Blade 1000 this gives as output:

    /ManR/Sun_Part_No: 5015938

    So I guess mine is not the oldest, but neither the newest model system board
    Sun ever used.

    If instead you do:

    % prtfru > /tmp/frus

    And go into the file with 'vi' or some other editor and find the line that
    has your P/N you'll see all kinds of other cool data like the serial number,
    revision number, and other info.

    Trinean

  3. Re: How do I identify the motherboard revision in my Sun Blade 1000?

    On 18 Sep, 22:25, "Trinean" wrote:
    > "haydude" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1190119856.381976.78510@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...
    >
    > > All,

    > > I have seen discussions around Blade 1000/2000 being the same. I would
    > > like to upgrade my 900MHz Processors to the faster Cu 1200MHz. OPB is
    > > upgraded to the latest release. I just want to double check that I do
    > > not have one of the earliest motherboards. How do I identify my
    > > motherboard revision?

    > > Thank you all in advance.
    > > HD

    > Do the 1200 MHz CPUs require a certain model board?
    >
    > The P/Ns for the boards in the Sun Blade 1000/2000 and Sun Fire 280R are:
    >
    > 501-4143
    > 501-5938
    > 501-6230
    > 501-6560
    >
    > So without resorting to visual inspection you can do:
    >
    > % prtfru | egrep '4143|5938|6230|6560'
    >
    > On my Sun Blade 1000 this gives as output:
    >
    > /ManR/Sun_Part_No: 5015938
    >
    > So I guess mine is not the oldest, but neither the newest model system board
    > Sun ever used.
    >
    > If instead you do:
    >
    > % prtfru > /tmp/frus
    >
    > And go into the file with 'vi' or some other editor and find the line that
    > has your P/N you'll see all kinds of other cool data like the serial number,
    > revision number, and other info.
    >
    > Trinean

    Thank you! I really appreciate.

    Best regards,
    HD

  4. Re: How do I identify the motherboard revision in my Sun Blade 1000?

    Just to follow on my previous message, I have upgraded my Sun Blade
    1000, board 501-5938, with 2 x USIII+ 1200 MHz.
    Works fine.
    HD

  5. Re: How do I identify the motherboard revision in my Sun Blade 1000?

    "haydude" wrote in message
    news:1191413044.721326.162040@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    > Just to follow on my previous message, I have upgraded my Sun Blade
    > 1000, board 501-5938, with 2 x USIII+ 1200 MHz.
    > Works fine.
    > HD

    Was the jump from 900 MHz CPUs to 1200 MHz CPUs a noticeable difference?
    I had upgraded from 750 MHz to 900 MHz at one point and didn't see a radical
    jump in speed.

    Trinean

+ Reply to Thread