256MB memory modules for Sun Ultra 10 - SUN

This is a discussion on 256MB memory modules for Sun Ultra 10 - SUN ; I just noticed that (what it seems) the same memory modules are used in Sun Ultra 5/10 systems and the Sun Enterprise 3000/4000/5000/6000 servers. I just so happen to have a batch of 256MB modules from a 4500 server (6 ...

  1. 256MB memory modules for Sun Ultra 10

    I just noticed that (what it seems) the same memory modules are
    used in Sun Ultra 5/10 systems and the Sun Enterprise 3000/4000/5000/6000
    servers.

    I just so happen to have a batch of 256MB modules from a 4500 server (6 out
    of the batch of 8 - 2 were broken) so I decided to try them in an Ultra 10.

    I works. Almost - the Ultra 10 seems to see them as 128MB modules which is
    a bit of a pity. I tried to update the OBP firmware on the Ultra 10 but
    even with the latest (3.31) it still sees them as 128MB modules.

    Anyone have any suggestions for making them work as 256MB modules?

    - Peter
    Peter Eriksson Phone: +46 13 28 2786
    Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
    Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203

  2. Re: 256MB memory modules for Sun Ultra 10

    Peter Eriksson writes:

    >I just noticed that (what it seems) the same memory modules are
    >used in Sun Ultra 5/10 systems and the Sun Enterprise 3000/4000/5000/6000
    >servers.

    They may have the same form factor but they're not the same
    modules. (They 3.3V, 168 pin, ECC modules but the Ultra5/10 uses EDO
    ram)

    >I just so happen to have a batch of 256MB modules from a 4500 server (6 out
    >of the batch of 8 - 2 were broken) so I decided to try them in an Ultra 10.

    >I works. Almost - the Ultra 10 seems to see them as 128MB modules which is
    >a bit of a pity. I tried to update the OBP firmware on the Ultra 10 but
    >even with the latest (3.31) it still sees them as 128MB modules.

    >Anyone have any suggestions for making them work as 256MB modules?

    I don't think they're supposed to work at all.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  3. Re: 256MB memory modules for Sun Ultra 10

    Casper H.S. Dik writes:

    >Peter Eriksson writes:

    >>I just noticed that (what it seems) the same memory modules are
    >>used in Sun Ultra 5/10 systems and the Sun Enterprise 3000/4000/5000/6000
    >>servers.

    >They may have the same form factor but they're not the same
    >modules. (They 3.3V, 168 pin, ECC modules but the Ultra5/10 uses EDO
    >ram)

    >>I just so happen to have a batch of 256MB modules from a 4500 server (6 out
    >>of the batch of 8 - 2 were broken) so I decided to try them in an Ultra 10.

    >>I works. Almost - the Ultra 10 seems to see them as 128MB modules which is
    >>a bit of a pity. I tried to update the OBP firmware on the Ultra 10 but
    >>even with the latest (3.31) it still sees them as 128MB modules.

    >>Anyone have any suggestions for making them work as 256MB modules?

    >I don't think they're supposed to work at all.

    I wonder about that. Anyway, I found out why the Ultra 10 only sees 128
    instead of 256 when using those modules - the Ultra 10 requires "dual stack"
    modules when using 256MB modules (but not for smaller ones) and the 256MB
    modules from the Enterprise servers are single stack ones.

    - Peter
    Peter Eriksson Phone: +46 13 28 2786
    Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
    Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203

  4. Re: 256MB memory modules for Sun Ultra 10

    Peter Eriksson wrote:
    > I just noticed that (what it seems) the same memory modules are
    > used in Sun Ultra 5/10 systems and the Sun Enterprise 3000/4000/5000/6000
    > servers.

    The only difference I've seen between standard memory in an ultra5 vs
    e6800 is the EDO memory that ships with an ultra5 is 50ns, and it's 60ns
    in the large monsters. The ultra5 memory has to be very low form factor as
    well- taller dimms won't fit under the floppy drive, but they do work.

    > I just so happen to have a batch of 256MB modules from a 4500 server (6 out
    > of the batch of 8 - 2 were broken) so I decided to try them in an Ultra 10.

    I've not tried any 256MB modules in an ultra5 or ultra10

+ Reply to Thread