LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10 - SUN

This is a discussion on LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10 - SUN ; Hello everyone Can anyone recommend an LVD SCSI controller for the Ultra 10? From what I've seen there seem to be tons of HVD cards out there, but I require a very simple setup, one internal scsi drive only hanging ...

  1. LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    Hello everyone

    Can anyone recommend an LVD SCSI controller for the Ultra 10? From
    what I've seen
    there seem to be tons of HVD cards out there, but I require a very
    simple setup, one internal
    scsi drive only hanging off of the controller.

    Thank you!

    Y.

  2. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    Yiannis wrote:
    > Hello everyone
    >
    > Can anyone recommend an LVD SCSI controller for the Ultra 10? From
    > what I've seen
    > there seem to be tons of HVD cards out there, but I require a very
    > simple setup, one internal
    > scsi drive only hanging off of the controller.

    Do you need to boot from the drive?

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    On 17 Sep, 17:52, ddun...@taos.com (Darren Dunham) wrote:
    > Yiannis wrote:
    > > Hello everyone

    > > Can anyone recommend an LVD SCSI controller for the Ultra 10? From
    > > what I've seen
    > > there seem to be tons of HVD cards out there, but I require a very
    > > simple setup, one internal
    > > scsi drive only hanging off of the controller.

    > Do you need to boot from the drive?
    >
    > --
    > Darren Dunham ddun...@taos.com
    > Senior Technical Consultant TAOS http://www.taos.com/
    > Got some Dr Pepper? San Francisco, CA bay area
    > < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

    Hi Darren,

    I would like to yes, but I can live without it. I mainly want to avoid
    the horrid performance of the IDE drives. At the moment
    I have an Adaptec AHA-2940U2W in, with a drive, but Solaris 10 refuses
    to detect it during installation. probe-scsi does the same
    in openboot, however linux detects the card and drive quite happily...

    Thank you,
    Yiannis

  4. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    Yiannis wrote:
    > I would like to yes, but I can live without it. I mainly want to avoid
    > the horrid performance of the IDE drives. At the moment
    > I have an Adaptec AHA-2940U2W in, with a drive, but Solaris 10 refuses
    > to detect it during installation. probe-scsi does the same
    > in openboot, however linux detects the card and drive quite happily...

    The LSI/Symbios cards used to be the best bets. You could often find
    them with openfirmware drivers for boot, and they were a chipset with an
    installed driver in Solaris.

    I don't recall Adaptec having any Sparc driver support.

    See also:

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  5. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    Yiannis wrote:
    > Hello everyone
    >
    > Can anyone recommend an LVD SCSI controller for the Ultra 10? From
    > what I've seen
    > there seem to be tons of HVD cards out there, but I require a very
    > simple setup, one internal
    > scsi drive only hanging off of the controller.
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Y.

    I think you will find that Sun ones are pretty cheap now on eBay -
    personaly I'd probably take that route, as the one with the least chance
    of anything not being right.

    I've got a Sun one, plus an IBM one, which uses the LSI chip set.
    Booting might be more of a problem from one, but if you dont need that,
    I suspect any card with the right chipset will probably work. I dont
    think it would be too hard to find info on the web about the exact chip
    set used in the Sun cards. I know some cards use LSI

    As somone else said, I dont belive Adaptec will work, as they have their
    own chipset and I dont think there are suitable drivers.

    --
    Dave (from the UK)

    It is always of the form: month-year@althorne.org

    http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database

  6. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    On 19 Sep, 22:26, Ian Collins wrote:
    > Darren Dunham wrote:
    > > Yiannis wrote:
    > >> I would like to yes, but I can live without it. I mainly want to avoid
    > >> the horrid performance of the IDE drives. At the moment
    > >> I have an Adaptec AHA-2940U2W in, with a drive, but Solaris 10 refuses
    > >> to detect it during installation. probe-scsi does the same
    > >> in openboot, however linux detects the card and drive quite happily...

    > > The LSI/Symbios cards used to be the best bets. You could often find
    > > them with openfirmware drivers for boot, and they were a chipset with an
    > > installed driver in Solaris.

    > That's what I use for (non-boot) drives and they work well.
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins.

    That's right but I can only seem to find HVD ones on eBay :-S

  7. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    According to Yiannis :
    > On 19 Sep, 22:26, Ian Collins wrote:
    > > Darren Dunham wrote:

    > > > The LSI/Symbios cards used to be the best bets. You could often find
    > > > them with openfirmware drivers for boot, and they were a chipset with an
    > > > installed driver in Solaris.

    > > That's what I use for (non-boot) drives and they work well.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ian Collins.

    > That's right but I can only seem to find HVD ones on eBay :-S

    They (the LVD ones) show up from time to time, but tend to be
    rather expensive most of the time.

    I found mine at a hamfest for about $35.00 IIRC. (Sorry, I
    can't remember the number -- it is too new to be in my FEH (Field
    Engineer's Handbook).

    But -- can't you use a SE one instead? Almost all LVD drives
    will talk to a SE controller and vice versa -- just with the restriction
    that if you have a SE device or controller on the bus, it will talk to
    *everything* as SE instead of LVD. Since you want to talk to a drive
    inside your computer (IIRC), the length of the cable certainly does not
    call for LVD.

    The only LVD device which I know of which will not work properly
    on a SE bus is the Exabyte Mammoth-2 tape drive. If the drive says LVD,
    it *needs* LVD. Even the jukebox which it was in (an EXB-430) would
    communicate nicely with a SE controller, but the drives would not.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  8. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    On 25 Sep, 07:03, dnich...@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
    > According to Yiannis :

    > > > That's what I use for (non-boot) drives and they work well.

    > > > --
    > > > Ian Collins.

    > > That's right but I can only seem to find HVD ones on eBay :-S

    > They (the LVD ones) show up from time to time, but tend to be
    > rather expensive most of the time.
    >
    > I found mine at a hamfest for about $35.00 IIRC. (Sorry, I
    > can't remember the number -- it is too new to be in my FEH (Field
    > Engineer's Handbook).
    >
    > But -- can't you use a SE one instead? Almost all LVD drives
    > will talk to a SE controller and vice versa -- just with the restriction
    > that if you have a SE device or controller on the bus, it will talk to
    > *everything* as SE instead of LVD. Since you want to talk to a drive
    > inside your computer (IIRC), the length of the cable certainly does not
    > call for LVD.
    >
    > The only LVD device which I know of which will not work properly
    > on a SE bus is the Exabyte Mammoth-2 tape drive. If the drive says LVD,
    > it *needs* LVD. Even the jukebox which it was in (an EXB-430) would
    > communicate nicely with a SE controller, but the drives would not.
    >
    > Enjoy,
    > DoN.
    > --
    > Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    > (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    > --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

    If this works then this is what I will do can you suggest any
    particulars cards for this?

    Thank you,
    Y.

  9. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    According to Yiannis :
    > On 25 Sep, 07:03, dnich...@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
    > > According to Yiannis :
    > > > That's right but I can only seem to find HVD ones on eBay :-S

    > > They (the LVD ones) show up from time to time, but tend to be
    > > rather expensive most of the time.
    > >
    > > I found mine at a hamfest for about $35.00 IIRC. (Sorry, I
    > > can't remember the number -- it is too new to be in my FEH (Field
    > > Engineer's Handbook).
    > >
    > > But -- can't you use a SE one instead? Almost all LVD drives
    > > will talk to a SE controller and vice versa -- just with the restriction
    > > that if you have a SE device or controller on the bus, it will talk to
    > > *everything* as SE instead of LVD. Since you want to talk to a drive
    > > inside your computer (IIRC), the length of the cable certainly does not
    > > call for LVD.
    > >
    > > The only LVD device which I know of which will not work properly
    > > on a SE bus is the Exabyte Mammoth-2 tape drive. If the drive says LVD,
    > > it *needs* LVD. Even the jukebox which it was in (an EXB-430) would
    > > communicate nicely with a SE controller, but the drives would not.

    [ ... ]

    > If this works then this is what I will do can you suggest any
    > particulars cards for this?

    Well ... the most common SE card for Suns (and the one which I
    use for SE SCSI) is marked 375-0005 by Sun, and is the Symbios SYM22801.
    There is a version marked 375-0013 which has a FCode ROM on it for use
    with systems which don't already know about it -- but I've never needed
    them with my Ultra-60 systems. the 375-0005 can usually be found by a
    search on eBay -- and most of the time you can find quite reasonable
    final prices.

    It is a dual SCSI card, with VHDCI 68-pin connectors for both
    controllers on the card bracket to feed to the outside, and both
    50-pin IDC and HD68-pin internal for each controller. There are quad
    DIP switches for each, with switch element 1 enabling the 50-pin SCSI,
    switch element 2 enabling the internal 68-pin connector, switch element
    three labeled "upper address bits" (I guess making the 50-pin connector
    think that it is talking to SCSI-IDs 8-15 instead of 0-7. And switch
    element 4 enables the external 68-pin VHDCI.

    So -- you could enable one for the internal 68-pin for your
    internal drives and still have the other to connect to to external drives
    if you wish to add them later.

    Note that it should go in a 33 MHz PCI slot, not a 66 MHz one if
    your computer has one. (Not likely in the Ultra-10. :-)

    Good Luck,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  10. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    On 26 Sep, 06:35, dnich...@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
    > According to Yiannis :
    >

    > > On 25 Sep, 07:03, dnich...@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
    > > > According to Yiannis :

    > > > They (the LVD ones) show up from time to time, but tend to be
    > > > rather expensive most of the time.

    > > > I found mine at a hamfest for about $35.00 IIRC. (Sorry, I
    > > > can't remember the number -- it is too new to be in my FEH (Field
    > > > Engineer's Handbook).

    > > > But -- can't you use a SE one instead? Almost all LVD drives
    > > > will talk to a SE controller and vice versa -- just with the restriction
    > > > that if you have a SE device or controller on the bus, it will talk to
    > > > *everything* as SE instead of LVD. Since you want to talk to a drive
    > > > inside your computer (IIRC), the length of the cable certainly does not
    > > > call for LVD.

    > > > The only LVD device which I know of which will not work properly
    > > > on a SE bus is the Exabyte Mammoth-2 tape drive. If the drive says LVD,
    > > > it *needs* LVD. Even the jukebox which it was in (an EXB-430) would
    > > > communicate nicely with a SE controller, but the drives would not.

    > [ ... ]
    >
    > > If this works then this is what I will do can you suggest any
    > > particulars cards for this?

    > Well ... the most common SE card for Suns (and the one which I
    > use for SE SCSI) is marked 375-0005 by Sun, and is the Symbios SYM22801.
    > There is a version marked 375-0013 which has a FCode ROM on it for use
    > with systems which don't already know about it -- but I've never needed
    > them with my Ultra-60 systems. the 375-0005 can usually be found by a
    > search on eBay -- and most of the time you can find quite reasonable
    > final prices.
    >
    > It is a dual SCSI card, with VHDCI 68-pin connectors for both
    > controllers on the card bracket to feed to the outside, and both
    > 50-pin IDC and HD68-pin internal for each controller. There are quad
    > DIP switches for each, with switch element 1 enabling the 50-pin SCSI,
    > switch element 2 enabling the internal 68-pin connector, switch element
    > three labeled "upper address bits" (I guess making the 50-pin connector
    > think that it is talking to SCSI-IDs 8-15 instead of 0-7. And switch
    > element 4 enables the external 68-pin VHDCI.
    >
    > So -- you could enable one for the internal 68-pin for your
    > internal drives and still have the other to connect to to external drives
    > if you wish to add them later.
    >
    > Note that it should go in a 33 MHz PCI slot, not a 66 MHz one if
    > your computer has one. (Not likely in the Ultra-10. :-)
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > DoN.
    > --
    > Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    > (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    > --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---- Hide quoted text -

    Got a 375-0005 , installed it today, probe-scsi-all detects the card
    and drive , but when I get to installing Solaris 10,
    the drive does not appear as available in the drive selection box
    eventhough it's been properly formated... Maybe it's its way of
    telling me to give up!

  11. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    On 30 Sep, 00:43, Yiannis wrote:
    > On 26 Sep, 06:35, dnich...@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
    >

    > > According to Yiannis :

    > > [ ... ]

    > > > If this works then this is what I will do can you suggest any
    > > > particulars cards for this?

    > > Well ... the most common SE card for Suns (and the one which I
    > > use for SE SCSI) is marked 375-0005 by Sun, and is the Symbios SYM22801.
    > > There is a version marked 375-0013 which has a FCode ROM on it for use
    > > with systems which don't already know about it -- but I've never needed
    > > them with my Ultra-60 systems. the 375-0005 can usually be found by a
    > > search on eBay -- and most of the time you can find quite reasonable
    > > final prices.

    > > It is a dual SCSI card, with VHDCI 68-pin connectors for both
    > > controllers on the card bracket to feed to the outside, and both
    > > 50-pin IDC and HD68-pin internal for each controller. There are quad
    > > DIP switches for each, with switch element 1 enabling the 50-pin SCSI,
    > > switch element 2 enabling the internal 68-pin connector, switch element
    > > three labeled "upper address bits" (I guess making the 50-pin connector
    > > think that it is talking to SCSI-IDs 8-15 instead of 0-7. And switch
    > > element 4 enables the external 68-pin VHDCI.

    > > So -- you could enable one for the internal 68-pin for your
    > > internal drives and still have the other to connect to to external drives
    > > if you wish to add them later.

    > > Note that it should go in a 33 MHz PCI slot, not a 66 MHz one if
    > > your computer has one. (Not likely in the Ultra-10. :-)

    > > Good Luck,
    > > DoN.
    > > --
    > > Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    > > (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
    > > --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---- Hide quoted text -

    > Got a 375-0005 , installed it today, probe-scsi-all detects the card
    > and drive , but when I get to installing Solaris 10,
    > the drive does not appear as available in the drive selection box
    > eventhough it's been properly formated... Maybe it's its way of
    > telling me to give up!

    Can anyone offer any insight on why this $#@! disk won't show up in
    the install for the latest Solaris 10 offering? :-)

  12. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    According to Yiannis :
    > On 30 Sep, 00:43, Yiannis wrote:
    > > On 26 Sep, 06:35, dnich...@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

    [ ... ]

    > > > So -- you could enable one for the internal 68-pin for your
    > > > internal drives and still have the other to connect to to external drives
    > > > if you wish to add them later.

    [ ... ]

    > > Got a 375-0005 , installed it today, probe-scsi-all detects the card
    > > and drive , but when I get to installing Solaris 10,
    > > the drive does not appear as available in the drive selection box
    > > eventhough it's been properly formated... Maybe it's its way of
    > > telling me to give up!

    > Can anyone offer any insight on why this $#@! disk won't show up in
    > the install for the latest Solaris 10 offering? :-)

    It may be the version of the OBP in the Ultra-10 just does not
    look at SCSI disks as boot disks -- and that Solaris 10 knows this and
    thus does not install on anything other than the IDE disks which the
    Ultra-10 supports.

    Once you have Solaris 10 booted and running, *it* should see the
    drives and be able to use them as desired.

    I've never tried to get an Ultra-10 (or an Ultra-5 for that
    matter) to boot from SCSI disks -- the IDE drives were quite adequate
    for the service which I required the system for -- a web server, running
    on OpenBSD, not Solaris -- though I did play with it with Solaris 10
    first.

    And I did temporarily install a LVD card in the system (under
    OpenBSD) and use it to access tape drives and jukebox in an Exabyte 430.
    However, that is now connected to a Sun Fire 280R along with a *lot* of
    SCSI (and two Fibre Channel) disks.

    Why don't you try installing Solaris 10 on an IDE disk and then
    see whether that can see your SCSI disk.

    Sorry,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  13. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    DoN. Nichols wrote:
    >> > Got a 375-0005 , installed it today, probe-scsi-all detects the card
    >> > and drive , but when I get to installing Solaris 10,
    >> > the drive does not appear as available in the drive selection box
    >> > eventhough it's been properly formated... Maybe it's its way of
    >> > telling me to give up!

    > It may be the version of the OBP in the Ultra-10 just does not
    > look at SCSI disks as boot disks -- and that Solaris 10 knows this and
    > thus does not install on anything other than the IDE disks which the
    > Ultra-10 supports.

    Really unlikely. The Solaris installer just doesn't have that kind of
    smarts.

    I'd open up a xterm in the installer, and run 'format' to see if the
    disk is even seen. If so, it might just need a label to go off and
    work. But more likely something else is going on.

    > Once you have Solaris 10 booted and running, *it* should see the
    > drives and be able to use them as desired.

    Booting Solaris 10 from the installer disk should give basically the
    same behavior.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  14. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    DoN. Nichols wrote:

    > It may be the version of the OBP in the Ultra-10 just does not
    > look at SCSI disks as boot disks -- and that Solaris 10 knows this and
    > thus does not install on anything other than the IDE disks which the
    > Ultra-10 supports.

    I've an Ultra 10 using a generic symbios 375-0006 look-a-like and OBP
    boots from a SCSI disk - maybe the boot device is wrong?
    probe-scsi-all should confirm everything is working and the controller
    is seeing the disk(s).

    Hope that helps.

    Julian

  15. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    On Oct 4, 7:12 pm, Julian Smith wrote:
    > DoN. Nichols wrote:
    > > It may be the version of the OBP in theUltra-10just does not
    > > look at SCSI disks as boot disks -- and that Solaris10knows this and
    > > thus does not install on anything other than the IDE disks which the
    > >Ultra-10supports.

    > I've anUltra10using a generic symbios 375-0006 look-a-like and OBP
    > boots from a SCSI disk - maybe the boot device is wrong?
    > probe-scsi-all should confirm everything is working and the controller
    > is seeing the disk(s).
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > Julian

    Hello Julian et al

    That's what is weird, probe-scsi-all detects both the controller and
    the disk, and format detects the disk also,
    so unless I am severely fudging up the formating procedure, I'm at my
    wits end. Is there a guide that has The Right Way to format a drive?
    I no longer care about having the drive as a boot, I would be pleased
    with it showing up in the drive selection box :__)

    Thank you,

    Yiannis

  16. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    Yiannis wrote:

    > That's what is weird, probe-scsi-all detects both the controller and
    > the disk, and format detects the disk also,
    > so unless I am severely fudging up the formating procedure, I'm at my
    > wits end. Is there a guide that has The Right Way to format a drive?
    > I no longer care about having the drive as a boot, I would be pleased
    > with it showing up in the drive selection box :__)
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Yiannis

    There is no need to format a disk in Solaris - just 'label' it using the
    format command - see below.

    # format
    Searching for disks...done

    AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
    0. c1t1d0
    /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w21000004cfa13aed,0
    1. c1t2d0
    /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w21000004cf709af0,0
    Specify disk (enter its number): 0
    selecting c1t1d0
    [disk formatted]
    Warning: Current Disk has mounted partitions.
    /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 is currently mounted on /. Please see umount(1M).
    /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s1 is currently used by swap. Please see swap(1M).
    /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s3 is currently mounted on /usr/local. Please see umount(1M).

    FORMAT MENU:
    disk - select a disk
    type - select (define) a disk type
    partition - select (define) a partition table
    current - describe the current disk
    format - format and analyze the disk
    repair - repair a defective sector
    label - write label to the disk
    analyze - surface analysis
    defect - defect list management
    backup - search for backup labels
    verify - read and display labels
    save - save new disk/partition definitions
    inquiry - show vendor, product and revision
    volname - set 8-character volume name
    ! - execute , then return
    quit
    format> quit

    BUT I have known of two sorts of problems over the years.

    1) Disk would not work in a SPARC 20, unless labeled first in an Ultra
    machine, but then worked fine.

    2) Disk could not been seen on a Sun, but did work after sticking it on
    an Adaptec (PC) controller and doing a low-level format.

    You might want to try (2), if you have no other luck.

  17. Re: LVD SCSI controller for Ultra 10

    Yiannis wrote:

    > Hello Julian et al
    >
    > That's what is weird, probe-scsi-all detects both the controller and
    > the disk, and format detects the disk also,
    > so unless I am severely fudging up the formating procedure, I'm at my
    > wits end. Is there a guide that has The Right Way to format a drive?
    > I no longer care about having the drive as a boot, I would be pleased
    > with it showing up in the drive selection box :__)
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Yiannis

    Yiannis

    That's strange indeed - if probe-scsi-all can see the drive and you can
    format the drive (partition in PC terms) then all that's left is to make
    a filesystem (format in PC terms) and then mount it. Just did that a
    quick Google and found this link
    http://www.ussg.iu.edu/usail/periphe...g/solaris.html. Only
    had a quick skim and it's been a few years since I added a disk but
    everything you need seemed to be there.

    Hope that helps,

    Julian

+ Reply to Thread