Add an IDE to Netra X1 and mirror it - SUN

This is a discussion on Add an IDE to Netra X1 and mirror it - SUN ; Hello, Could someone please tell me the simplest way to add a 2nd disk to my Netra ? I'd like to replicate the first one in order to have a backup. Must I use a console and the 'ok' prompt ...

  1. Add an IDE to Netra X1 and mirror it

    Hello,
    Could someone please tell me the simplest way to add a
    2nd disk to my Netra ? I'd like to replicate the first one in
    order to have a backup.
    Must I use a console and the 'ok' prompt ? If yes to do
    which tasks ?
    Then what is the series of commands to execute (can I
    use 'dd' etc.) ?
    What's the *simplest* method please ? (I'm no administrator)

    Thanks !
    Seb

  2. Re: Add an IDE to Netra X1 and mirror it

    "Sébastien de Mapias" wrote in message
    news:1189414962.758025.77030@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Hello,
    > Could someone please tell me the simplest way to add a
    > 2nd disk to my Netra ? I'd like to replicate the first one in
    > order to have a backup.
    > Must I use a console and the 'ok' prompt ? If yes to do
    > which tasks ?
    > Then what is the series of commands to execute (can I
    > use 'dd' etc.) ?
    > What's the *simplest* method please ? (I'm no administrator)
    >
    > Thanks !
    > Seb

    You will need a disk that is the same size as what you have now.
    If Solstice DiskSuite is not installed you will need to install it.
    Solaris 9 and 10 usually have this already installed, but on Solaris 8 it
    will likely need to be added.
    A free slice on the boot disk will need to be available. Around 50 MB is
    good.

    There are lots of documents on how to do the actual mirroring.

    Most tasks will be done within the OS.
    Physically opening the server and adding the second drive will be the
    biggest part.

    Trinean

  3. Re: Add an IDE to Netra X1 and mirror it

    Sébastien de Mapias wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Could someone please tell me the simplest way to add a
    > 2nd disk to my Netra ? I'd like to replicate the first one in
    > order to have a backup.
    > Must I use a console and the 'ok' prompt ? If yes to do
    > which tasks ?
    > Then what is the series of commands to execute (can I
    > use 'dd' etc.) ?
    > What's the *simplest* method please ? (I'm no administrator)

    If you're not an administrator you should not do this if there are any
    valuable data on your disk.

    But the steps can be like this (ask an experienced admin to do this)

    1. Get an identical disk and push it in (they use to be hot swap on
    Netras) and then make it available to Solaris
    # devfsadm disks

    2. Get the partition info from the first disk and make the new identical
    # prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2

    3. dd the data from old to new disk
    # dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 bs=512
    etc. for remining slices

    4. Pull out new disk and store safely

  4. Re: Add an IDE to Netra X1 and mirror it

    In article ,
    "Thommy M." wrote:

    > Sébastien de Mapias wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > Could someone please tell me the simplest way to add a
    > > 2nd disk to my Netra ? I'd like to replicate the first one in
    > > order to have a backup.
    > > Must I use a console and the 'ok' prompt ? If yes to do
    > > which tasks ?
    > > Then what is the series of commands to execute (can I
    > > use 'dd' etc.) ?
    > > What's the *simplest* method please ? (I'm no administrator)

    > If you're not an administrator you should not do this if there are any
    > valuable data on your disk.
    >
    > But the steps can be like this (ask an experienced admin to do this)
    >
    > 1. Get an identical disk and push it in (they use to be hot swap on
    > Netras) and then make it available to Solaris
    > # devfsadm disks

    The Netra X1 is IDE based and does not support hot swappable drives. It
    doesn't even provide a means to access the drives without removing the
    top cover.

    Josh

  5. Re: Add an IDE to Netra X1 and mirror it

    On Sep 11, 11:50 pm, Josh McKee wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "Thommy M." wrote:
    >

    > > Sébastien de Mapias wrote:
    > > > Hello,
    > > > Could someone please tell me the simplest way to add a
    > > > 2nd disk to my Netra ? I'd like to replicate the first one in
    > > > order to have a backup.
    > > > Must I use a console and the 'ok' prompt ? If yes to do
    > > > which tasks ?
    > > > Then what is the series of commands to execute (can I
    > > > use 'dd' etc.) ?
    > > > What's the *simplest* method please ? (I'm no administrator)

    > > If you're not an administrator you should not do this if there are any
    > > valuable data on your disk.

    > > But the steps can be like this (ask an experienced admin to do this)

    > > 1. Get an identical disk and push it in (they use to be hot swap on
    > > Netras) and then make it available to Solaris
    > > # devfsadm disks

    > The Netra X1 is IDE based and does not support hot swappable drives. It
    > doesn't even provide a means to access the drives without removing the
    > top cover.

    Where did we have an indication that OP has a Netra X1???

  6. Re: Add an IDE to Netra X1 and mirror it

    > Where did we have an indication that OP has a Netra X1???

    The subject line?

    --
    Ian Collins.

  7. Re: Add an IDE to Netra X1 and mirror it

    On Sep 12, 10:13 am, Ian Collins wrote:
    > > Where did we have an indication that OP has a Netra X1???

    > The subject line?

    You're right. I use to think that relevant info is included in the
    body. Forget my ideas about hot swap. Otherwise they might work.

+ Reply to Thread