Question on upgrading Ultra 2 - SUN

This is a discussion on Question on upgrading Ultra 2 - SUN ; I have is a Sun Ultra 2 (Dual 296mhz) 3d Creator box attached to a Xerox 6135 Production Printer. Xerox wants a small fortune to upgrade the Computer. I would like to speed up file rip time for its pretty ...

  1. Question on upgrading Ultra 2

    I have is a Sun Ultra 2 (Dual 296mhz) 3d
    Creator box attached to a Xerox 6135 Production Printer.
    Xerox wants a small fortune to upgrade the Computer.

    I would like to speed up file rip time for its pretty slow and files
    are getting larger not smaller.

    I'm basically a intel guy so these might be some stupid questions
    but...

    If I bought either a:

    1) Sun Ultra 80
    2) Sun Blade 150
    3) Sun Blade 1000,1500, or 2000

    Could I take the hard drive from the current setup and put it in the
    new machine and be up and running without any problems?

    It seems like the 2000 is a 64bit machine, would that be a problem
    considering I would be putting in a drive with older software on it?

    Currently I have a dual, would I need to purchase another dual for the
    hard drive to work?

    Am I thinking correctly in your opinion, a switch to a faster machine
    should improve rip times?

    Any Gotcha's that you can think of that I should look out for?

    Lastly, which one of the options (1,2,3) would, in your opinion be my
    best choice.

    Thanks to anyone else who would like to offer a opinion or suggestion
    in advance.

  2. Re: Question on upgrading Ultra 2

    wrote in message
    > I have is a Sun Ultra 2 (Dual 296mhz) 3d
    > Creator box attached to a Xerox 6135 Production Printer.
    > Xerox wants a small fortune to upgrade the Computer.
    >
    > I would like to speed up file rip time for its pretty slow and files
    > are getting larger not smaller.
    >
    > I'm basically a intel guy so these might be some stupid questions
    > but...
    >
    > If I bought either a:
    >
    > 1) Sun Ultra 80
    > 2) Sun Blade 150
    > 3) Sun Blade 1000,1500, or 2000
    >
    > Could I take the hard drive from the current setup and put it in the
    > new machine and be up and running without any problems?

    You would need to reload the OS if you go to any of these other machines.
    Especially since the Sun Blade 150/1500 use IDE drives and the Sun Blade
    1000/2000 use Fibre Channel.

    Even in an Ultra 80 that actually uses SCSI drives I can't imagine a hard
    drive from an Ultra 2 working without having to reload.

    Trinean

  3. Re: Question on upgrading Ultra 2

    On 2007-09-08, test1@junkmail.com wrote:
    > I have is a Sun Ultra 2 (Dual 296mhz) 3d
    > Creator box attached to a Xerox 6135 Production Printer.
    > Xerox wants a small fortune to upgrade the Computer.
    >
    > I would like to speed up file rip time for its pretty slow and files
    > are getting larger not smaller.
    >
    > I'm basically a intel guy so these might be some stupid questions
    > but...
    >
    > If I bought either a:
    >
    > 1) Sun Ultra 80
    > 2) Sun Blade 150
    > 3) Sun Blade 1000,1500, or 2000
    >
    > Could I take the hard drive from the current setup and put it in the
    > new machine and be up and running without any problems?

    Not in the case of the Sunblades, no. They use FC-AL disks and the Ultra 2 is a
    SCSI machine.

    --
    "Religion poisons everything."
    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

+ Reply to Thread