Serial cable problems - SUN

This is a discussion on Serial cable problems - SUN ; OK. So let me get this right.... No keyboard attached to sun machine. DB25 plugged into Serial A on sun machine. DB9 plugged into serial port of PC. RJ45 cable connecting the two. (straight thru or crossover ???) Hyperterm on ...

  1. Serial cable problems

    OK. So let me get this right....

    No keyboard attached to sun machine.

    DB25 plugged into Serial A on sun machine.
    DB9 plugged into serial port of PC.
    RJ45 cable connecting the two. (straight thru or crossover ???)

    Hyperterm on PC. 9600-8-N-1

    Is that right so far ???

  2. Re: Serial cable problems

    BertieBigBollox@gmail.com schrieb:
    > OK. So let me get this right....
    >
    > No keyboard attached to sun machine.
    >
    > DB25 plugged into Serial A on sun machine.
    > DB9 plugged into serial port of PC.
    > RJ45 cable connecting the two. (straight thru or crossover ???)
    >
    > Hyperterm on PC. 9600-8-N-1
    >
    > Is that right so far ???

    http://www.sonnenblen.de/index.php/topic,4152.0.html

    2nd page, use my setting (Freud-Schiller)

  3. Re: Serial cable problems

    According to BertieBigBollox@gmail.com :
    > OK. So let me get this right....
    >
    > No keyboard attached to sun machine.
    >
    > DB25 plugged into Serial A on sun machine.
    > DB9 plugged into serial port of PC.
    > RJ45 cable connecting the two. (straight thru or crossover ???)

    Hmm ... do you have any idea how the pins of the connectors are
    mapped to the RJ-45 pins? I'm sure that I have at least three or four
    versions floating around here. It all depends on who wired the
    connectors and for what purpose.

    What is *important* is which pins from the DB-25 are connected
    to which pins on the DB-9 (really DA-9 I think). And beware that DEC
    and PCs tend to use male DB-25 or DA-9 connectors for DTE (terminal
    wired) serial ports, while Sun uses a female DB-25 for the same purpose,
    so you need certain pins crossed over.

    I tend to start with a breakout box (two DB-25 connectors, LEDs
    to monitor each side, switches to connect straight across (e.g. pin 2 to
    pin 2), and provisions for jumper wires to set up any other crossover
    connections. I start out with the switches open (other than pin 7 (the
    data ground), and observe whether both sides are trying to drive the
    same pin. If so, I set up a pair of jumper wires to interchange pins 2
    and 3 between the sides. Then I go on to figure out what others may
    need to be present and crossed over.

    > Hyperterm on PC. 9600-8-N-1
    >
    > Is that right so far ???

    No experience with Hyperterm, but the settings look right.

    But until you know what the wiring in your connectors happens to
    be, having the right settings on the terminal program won't get you
    much. The DTE/DCE question is whether one end is wired as DTE (Data
    Terminal Equipment -- in other words like a stand-alone terminal), or as
    DCE (Data Communications Equipment -- a modem -- which is what the
    RS-232 standard was intended for -- communications between terminals (or
    computers pretending to be terminals) and modems. All other uses were
    added after the standard got defined. And then the PC started coming
    out with 9-pin subsets of the full connector.

    I think that someone else has already posted a URL pointing to
    the proper pinout, so I won't bother typing all of that in from scratch.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  4. Re: Serial cable problems

    dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) writes:

    >According to BertieBigBollox@gmail.com :
    >> OK. So let me get this right....
    >>
    >> No keyboard attached to sun machine.
    >>
    >> DB25 plugged into Serial A on sun machine.
    >> DB9 plugged into serial port of PC.
    >> RJ45 cable connecting the two. (straight thru or crossover ???)

    > Hmm ... do you have any idea how the pins of the connectors are
    >mapped to the RJ-45 pins? I'm sure that I have at least three or four
    >versions floating around here. It all depends on who wired the
    >connectors and for what purpose.

    The only RJ45 on the Ultra-60 is ethernet; you'll need a cross cable
    unless the PC does auto MDI-X (i.e., does not care)

    > What is *important* is which pins from the DB-25 are connected
    >to which pins on the DB-9 (really DA-9 I think). And beware that DEC
    >and PCs tend to use male DB-25 or DA-9 connectors for DTE (terminal
    >wired) serial ports, while Sun uses a female DB-25 for the same purpose,
    >so you need certain pins crossed over.

    Most likely the issue, yes.

    One more thing to try is that when the system starts is to hold
    down the STOP and N keys; that should reset the EEPROM.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  5. Re: Serial cable problems

    dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) writes:

    >According to BertieBigBollox@gmail.com :
    >> OK. So let me get this right....
    >>
    >> No keyboard attached to sun machine.
    >>
    >> DB25 plugged into Serial A on sun machine.
    >> DB9 plugged into serial port of PC.
    >> RJ45 cable connecting the two. (straight thru or crossover ???)

    > What is *important* is which pins from the DB-25 are connected
    >to which pins on the DB-9 (really DA-9 I think). And beware that DEC
    >and PCs tend to use male DB-25 or DA-9 connectors for DTE (terminal
    >wired) serial ports, while Sun uses a female DB-25 for the same purpose,
    >so you need certain pins crossed over.

    DE9, actually.
    DA connectors were mainly DA15. Apple used it for a video cable for a
    while and IBM used it for a joystick port. AUI connectors were also DA15.
    DE15, of course, is used for VGA cables.

    The Wikipedia page on this turns out to be mainly correct for a change.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature

    --
    Michael T Pins
    mtpins@nndev.org

  6. Re: Serial cable problems

    According to Casper H.S. Dik :
    > dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) writes:
    >
    > >According to BertieBigBollox@gmail.com :
    > >> OK. So let me get this right....

    [ ... ]

    > >> DB25 plugged into Serial A on sun machine.
    > >> DB9 plugged into serial port of PC.
    > >> RJ45 cable connecting the two. (straight thru or crossover ???)

    > > Hmm ... do you have any idea how the pins of the connectors are
    > >mapped to the RJ-45 pins? I'm sure that I have at least three or four
    > >versions floating around here. It all depends on who wired the
    > >connectors and for what purpose.

    > The only RJ45 on the Ultra-60 is ethernet; you'll need a cross cable
    > unless the PC does auto MDI-X (i.e., does not care)

    I was thinking that he was talking about RS-232 connector shells
    with an RJ-45 in the back, and thus needing to be connected to another
    one via an RJ-45 cable. His "connecting the two" appeared to refer to
    the connectors plugged into the computers at each end.

    These are things like what the Cisco routers user for a serial
    port, and that the RSC card in my Sun Fire 280R uses for a serial port
    (along with another RJ-45 for the RSC's own ethernet port, and an RJ-13
    for a modem connection to dial up pagers and the sort. :-)

    The RJ-45 backed connectors can be convenient when setting up
    serial connections -- if you know what the pinout is doing, or if you
    configured the connectors yourself.

    The main thing to do is to come up with a standard which you can
    keep to, with four connector styles:

    DB-25 DCE
    DB-25 DTE
    DA-9 DCE
    DA-9 DTE

    and make sure that if you connect any two of them with a
    straight-through RJ-45 cable you will get a proper connection. (Also,
    make sure to have a system for marking DTE and DCE -- perhaps with
    different shell colors, so you *know* what you have just grabbed. :-)

    If he is talking about the ethernet connection between the two,
    he is rather jumping the gun before he can talk to the computer on its
    own via either keyboard/monitor or RS-232 port.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  7. Re: Serial cable problems

    According to Michael T Pins :
    > dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) writes:

    [ ... ]

    > DE9, actually.
    > DA connectors were mainly DA15. Apple used it for a video cable for a
    > while and IBM used it for a joystick port. AUI connectors were also DA15.
    > DE15, of course, is used for VGA cables.

    And IIRC the DD size was the 50-pin used by early Sun-3 machines
    as the SCSI port.

    A pity that they didn't keep them in a logical sequence. That
    contributes to the confusion -- along with the same laziness that has
    resulted in the 50-pin Amphenol Micro Blue Ribbon connectors used for
    SCSI interfaces being called "Centronics" just because the 34-pin
    version was selected as the standard parallel printer connector by the
    Centronics printer manufacturer. :-)

    > The Wikipedia page on this turns out to be mainly correct for a change.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature

    I wonder how long that will last, before someone
    "corrects" it. :-)

    Thanks,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  8. Re: Serial cable problems

    ------------------------------------------------------------36----
    >version was selected as the standard parallel printer connector by the
    >Centronics printer manufacturer. :-)

    At the time the D-series connectors were designed, there was nothing
    as small as 9 pins. So they put them in logical sequence DA-15, DB-25,
    DC-37, DD-50. Then somebody decided that a 9-pin connector would be a
    good thing. But there is no alphabetic character preceding A, unless
    you want to be really ASCII pedantic and call it D@.

    carl
    --
    carl lowenstein marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
    clowenstein@ucsd.edu

  9. Re: Serial cable problems

    Hi

    The connections can be seen here: