Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor - SUN

This is a discussion on Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor - SUN ; Got one of these but no Sun monitor... Am I right in saying only a Sun monitor will plug into the back of this? Is there a convertor so that you can use a normal monitor? Failing that, am I ...

  1. Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    Got one of these but no Sun monitor...

    Am I right in saying only a Sun monitor will plug into the back of
    this? Is there a convertor so that you can use a normal monitor?

    Failing that, am I right in saying my only option is console access
    via the DIN port? (Which one - theres one on the video card also?)

  2. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    wrote in message
    news:1188839865.409665.230520@d55g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
    > Got one of these but no Sun monitor...
    >
    > Am I right in saying only a Sun monitor will plug into the back of
    > this? Is there a convertor so that you can use a normal monitor?
    >
    > Failing that, am I right in saying my only option is console access
    > via the DIN port? (Which one - theres one on the video card also?)

    You can purchase a 13W3 to 15 pin converter and use a standard monitor with
    the Ultra 60. You just need to ensure that the resolution and refresh
    settings (you can set in the NVRAM) are compatible with the monitor you are
    planning to use.

    I have two LCD panels running off my Ultra 60 and both are connected with
    these 13W3 to VGA connectors and have no issues.

    Something like this:

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/SGI-INDY-13W3-Wor...QQcmdZViewItem

    (Note: I am not endorsing this product nor providing a guarantee that it
    will work with your equipment/video card)

    Cheers

  3. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    "BertieBigBollox@gmail.com" writes:

    >Am I right in saying only a Sun monitor will plug into the back of
    >this? Is there a convertor so that you can use a normal monitor?

    No, but you need a special cable to covert 3W13 to VGA.

    >Failing that, am I right in saying my only option is console access
    >via the DIN port? (Which one - theres one on the video card also?)

    Not the DIN ports; one DIN port is for the keyboard, the other for the
    Stereo sync on the graphics cards.

    It's one of the DB25 connectors (the one labeled "A" in the default
    OBP settings).

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  4. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    If you're in the UK I have one going cheap :-)

    > Got one of these but no Sun monitor...
    >
    > Am I right in saying only a Sun monitor will plug into the back of
    > this? Is there a convertor so that you can use a normal monitor?
    >
    > Failing that, am I right in saying my only option is console access
    > via the DIN port? (Which one - theres one on the video card also?)

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
    www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

  5. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    According to John Burns :
    > > Got one of these but no Sun monitor...

    [ ... ]

    > If you're in the UK I have one going cheap :-)

    Actually -- it looks as though he is in the UK, based on his
    posting IP.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  6. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    On 3 Sep, 20:15, John Burns wrote:
    > If you're in the UK I have one going cheap :-)
    >
    > > Got one of these but no Sun monitor...

    > > Am I right in saying only a Sun monitor will plug into the back of
    > > this? Is there a convertor so that you can use a normal monitor?

    > > Failing that, am I right in saying my only option is console access
    > > via the DIN port? (Which one - theres one on the video card also?)

    > --
    > Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :-)
    > Email: j...@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    > Web :http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk- The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
    > Need Sun or HP Unix kit?http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/unix...athspey.co.uk- Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

    Yep. UK. How much?

  7. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    OK. Found a Sun monitor to normal monitor cable. Nothing on the
    monitor when I power up the Ultra :-(

    Also found an old 25 pin to 9 pin serial cable (labelled UPS???)
    plugged than it to A and the other to COM1 of my PC. Hyperterm 9600-
    N-1 but nothing.

    Am I doing something wrong?

  8. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    "BertieBigBollox@gmail.com" writes:

    >OK. Found a Sun monitor to normal monitor cable. Nothing on the
    >monitor when I power up the Ultra :-(

    Have you plugged in a keyboard?

    >Also found an old 25 pin to 9 pin serial cable (labelled UPS???)
    >plugged than it to A and the other to COM1 of my PC. Hyperterm 9600-
    >N-1 but nothing.

    Might be a DTE/DCE issue.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  9. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    On 6 Sep, 15:11, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > "BertieBigBol...@gmail.com" writes:
    > >OK. Found a Sun monitor to normal monitor cable. Nothing on the
    > >monitor when I power up the Ultra :-(

    > Have you plugged in a keyboard?

    Yep.

    > >Also found an old 25 pin to 9 pin serial cable (labelled UPS???)
    > >plugged than it to A and the other to COM1 of my PC. Hyperterm 9600-
    > >N-1 but nothing.

    > Might be a DTE/DCE issue.

    ????

  10. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    "BertieBigBollox@gmail.com" writes:
    >Also found an old 25 pin to 9 pin serial cable (labelled UPS???)
    >plugged than it to A and the other to COM1 of my PC. Hyperterm 9600-
    >N-1 but nothing.

    If its an APC UPS smart-cable, its far from a standard serial cable.
    They remap all the pins all over the place.

    Otherwise, you might need a null-modem.

  11. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:22:00 -0700, BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 6 Sep, 15:11, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

    >> Might be a DTE/DCE issue.
    >>

    > ????

    http://www.camiresearch.com/Data_Com...l#anchor242192

  12. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    A standard PC monitor will work if it supports the correct sync rates and
    you have the correct cable to convert the HD15 to 13W3.

    To connect via serial to the Ultra 60s TTYA the cable should be NULL modem.
    There should be no keyboard connected.
    Terminal settings should be 9600,8,n,1,-

    Trinean

  13. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    "BertieBigBollox@gmail.com" writes:

    >On 6 Sep, 15:11, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    >> "BertieBigBol...@gmail.com" writes:
    >> >OK. Found a Sun monitor to normal monitor cable. Nothing on the
    >> >monitor when I power up the Ultra :-(

    >> Have you plugged in a keyboard?

    >Yep.

    Then you won't get any serial output....

    >> >Also found an old 25 pin to 9 pin serial cable (labelled UPS???)
    >> >plugged than it to A and the other to COM1 of my PC. Hyperterm 9600-
    >> >N-1 but nothing.

    >> Might be a DTE/DCE issue.
    >>

    >????

    There are two types of pinouts for serial ports. The cable needs
    to match the pinouts at either end.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  14. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    I think I know what I'm doing wrong...

    OK. I've got a 9-pin to RJ45 headshell at the PC end and a 25-pin to
    RJ45 headshell at the Sun end.

    I'm connecting these with a RJ45 LAN cable (which is straighthru).

    I think I'm right in saying that if I use a RJ45 crossover this will
    work ???

  15. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    "BertieBigBollox@gmail.com" writes:
    >OK. I've got a 9-pin to RJ45 headshell at the PC end and a 25-pin to
    >RJ45 headshell at the Sun end.

    >I'm connecting these with a RJ45 LAN cable (which is straighthru).

    >I think I'm right in saying that if I use a RJ45 crossover this will
    >work ???

    If you buy an "rj45 crossover", you'll get an ethernet crossover cable.
    This may, but most likely not, give you a null modem that you might
    need in order to get the communications working. The odds of having a working
    one this way is pretty much essentially none.

    Since serial to RJ45 has no standard what-so-ever of what pins go to what
    (well, actually there is, but exactly *zero* current companies use it.
    The cisco pinout is mighty popular, having been adopted by Sun,
    Netscreen, Juniper, Fortigate, many others, etc), but there is no way
    there will be a standard RJ45 crossover to make it a null modem.
    I make my own serial cables to the cisco standard, which makes it really
    easy to make a null-modem, in that you roll the pins end-to-end. (pin
    1 to 8, 2 to 7, etc). I have some 2" cables like that, with an RJ45 coupler
    I get a null modem I can couple on.

    Much more useful is to buy a DB25 to DB25 nullmodem, then you'll know
    that you're getting the right thing. DE9 to DE9 null modems exist, but
    not very common. Much more common is the DB25M to DB25F ones..

  16. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    > Much more useful is to buy a DB25 to DB25 nullmodem, then you'll know
    > that you're getting the right thing. DE9 to DE9 null modems exist, but
    > not very common. Much more common is the DB25M to DB25F ones..

    While you are at it, buy a selection of 9 and 25 pin null modem and
    gender changers. You'll never regret it!

    --
    Ian Collins.

  17. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    Doug McIntyre writes:

    >"BertieBigBollox@gmail.com" writes:
    >>OK. I've got a 9-pin to RJ45 headshell at the PC end and a 25-pin to
    >>RJ45 headshell at the Sun end.

    >>I'm connecting these with a RJ45 LAN cable (which is straighthru).

    >>I think I'm right in saying that if I use a RJ45 crossover this will
    >>work ???

    >If you buy an "rj45 crossover", you'll get an ethernet crossover cable.
    >This may, but most likely not, give you a null modem that you might
    >need in order to get the communications working. The odds of having a working
    >one this way is pretty much essentially none.

    The straight-through RJ45 cables have identically pinned out connectors
    and are suited for cross-over Cisco/Sun serial connections.
    (The Cisco/Sun serial pinout for RJ45 only uses 7 signals and care is
    taken that you can easily connect two; this is not the case for the
    Annex pinout which uses 8 signals and can't easily cross-over.

    >Since serial to RJ45 has no standard what-so-ever of what pins go to what
    >(well, actually there is, but exactly *zero* current companies use it.
    >The cisco pinout is mighty popular, having been adopted by Sun,
    >Netscreen, Juniper, Fortigate, many others, etc), but there is no way
    >there will be a standard RJ45 crossover to make it a null modem.
    >I make my own serial cables to the cisco standard, which makes it really
    >easy to make a null-modem, in that you roll the pins end-to-end. (pin
    >1 to 8, 2 to 7, etc). I have some 2" cables like that, with an RJ45 coupler
    >I get a null modem I can couple on.

    I like to use flat (ribbon) 8 pin cables for this: either mount the
    connector right side up or upside-down.

    >Much more useful is to buy a DB25 to DB25 nullmodem, then you'll know
    >that you're getting the right thing. DE9 to DE9 null modems exist, but
    >not very common. Much more common is the DB25M to DB25F ones..

    You may also want to buy a few male-male "gender-benders".

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  18. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    In article <1189067738.127359.86930@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.co m>, "BertieBigBollox@gmail.com"
    <46DC5D6F.451E@unixnerd.demon.co.uk>
    <1188895471.564714.57320@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om> wrote:
    >OK. Found a Sun monitor to normal monitor cable. Nothing on the
    >monitor when I power up the Ultra :-(

    You may need to set a resolution in OBP to a compatible resolution.

    something like

    setenv output-device screen:1280x1024x60

    You need to use a resolution with Separate Sync, for a PC monitor.
    (most 60HZ ones are Separate)

    Also, make sure the monitor is powered up when you boot the computer.
    It should probe a modern monitor at bootup to auto set a res,
    but many monitors wont respond if they are powered down.
    You might want to even cycle the power on the monitor right before you boot.

    Does the monitor react (usually a click, or power light change)
    when you boot, that's the probe where its trying to set the res ...

    As someone said, it wont use the monitor at all,
    if a Sun keyboard is not attached

    >Also found an old 25 pin to 9 pin serial cable (labelled UPS???)
    >plugged than it to A and the other to COM1 of my PC. Hyperterm 9600-
    >N-1 but nothing.
    >
    >Am I doing something wrong?

  19. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    "Casper H.S. Dik" wrote in message
    > Doug McIntyre writes:
    >
    >>"BertieBigBollox@gmail.com" writes:
    >>>OK. I've got a 9-pin to RJ45 headshell at the PC end and a 25-pin to
    >>>RJ45 headshell at the Sun end.

    >>>I'm connecting these with a RJ45 LAN cable (which is straighthru).

    >>>I think I'm right in saying that if I use a RJ45 crossover this will
    >>>work ???

    >>If you buy an "rj45 crossover", you'll get an ethernet crossover cable.
    >>This may, but most likely not, give you a null modem that you might
    >>need in order to get the communications working. The odds of having a
    >>working
    >>one this way is pretty much essentially none.

    > The straight-through RJ45 cables have identically pinned out connectors
    > and are suited for cross-over Cisco/Sun serial connections.
    > (The Cisco/Sun serial pinout for RJ45 only uses 7 signals and care is
    > taken that you can easily connect two; this is not the case for the
    > Annex pinout which uses 8 signals and can't easily cross-over.
    >
    >>Since serial to RJ45 has no standard what-so-ever of what pins go to what
    >>(well, actually there is, but exactly *zero* current companies use it.
    >>The cisco pinout is mighty popular, having been adopted by Sun,
    >>Netscreen, Juniper, Fortigate, many others, etc), but there is no way
    >>there will be a standard RJ45 crossover to make it a null modem.
    >>I make my own serial cables to the cisco standard, which makes it really
    >>easy to make a null-modem, in that you roll the pins end-to-end. (pin
    >>1 to 8, 2 to 7, etc). I have some 2" cables like that, with an RJ45
    >>coupler
    >>I get a null modem I can couple on.

    > I like to use flat (ribbon) 8 pin cables for this: either mount the
    > connector right side up or upside-down.
    >
    >>Much more useful is to buy a DB25 to DB25 nullmodem, then you'll know
    >>that you're getting the right thing. DE9 to DE9 null modems exist, but
    >>not very common. Much more common is the DB25M to DB25F ones..

    > You may also want to buy a few male-male "gender-benders".
    >
    > Casper
    > --
    > Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
    > to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
    > Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
    > be fiction rather than truth.

    In addition to what the others have said, I find the 13W3 to VGA dongel type
    adapter to be very nice to work with
    and it does a good job too.
    Also I have tried using some of the Sun PCI video cards that have a VGA
    connector with a normal PC monitor and
    it does work at times.
    The bottom line is that a "regular" monitor can be used as console either
    with a different video card or an adapter and
    the proper sync rate.

  20. Re: Sun Ultra 60 - no monitor

    Gerry Sinkiewicz wrote:

    > The bottom line is that a "regular" monitor can be used as console either
    > with a different video card or an adapter and
    > the proper sync rate.

    My experience too. I'm using an adapter which converts 13W3 to VGA on my
    Sun Ultra 80 with a 21" Iiyama TFT screen. Works well.

    From what I have read, the quality of those adapters can be a bit
    suspect though. Apparently there is problems on some due to the way they
    fail to handle the sync properly. I think I got my from John Burns (aka
    Unixnerd) in Scotland, who sometimes posts on here. His page is at:

    http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/unix.html

    --
    Dave (from the UK)

    It is always of the form: month-year@althorne.org