SATA disks in X4100 - SUN

This is a discussion on SATA disks in X4100 - SUN ; Hello, is it possible to use SATA disks in an X4100 (non-M2) machine? As far as I know, SAS is backwards-compatible with SATA, but I would like to hear if someone has already experience with this. I know that it ...

  1. SATA disks in X4100

    Hello,

    is it possible to use SATA disks in an X4100 (non-M2) machine? As far as
    I know, SAS is backwards-compatible with SATA, but I would like to hear
    if someone has already experience with this.

    I know that it is not officially supported, I just want to know if it
    works ;-)

    Sebastian

  2. Re: SATA disks in X4100

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:05:35 +0200 Sebastian Hanigk wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > is it possible to use SATA disks in an X4100 (non-M2) machine? As far as
    > I know, SAS is backwards-compatible with SATA, but I would like to hear
    > if someone has already experience with this.
    >
    > I know that it is not officially supported, I just want to know if it
    > works ;-)

    Where would you get them? I haven't heard of 2.5" SATA drives.
    -frank

  3. Re: SATA disks in X4100

    Frank Cusack wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:05:35 +0200 Sebastian Hanigk wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> is it possible to use SATA disks in an X4100 (non-M2) machine? As far as
    >> I know, SAS is backwards-compatible with SATA, but I would like to hear
    >> if someone has already experience with this.
    >>
    >> I know that it is not officially supported, I just want to know if it
    >> works ;-)

    > Where would you get them? I haven't heard of 2.5" SATA drives.

    They are becoming standard in laptops, for example

    http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=314

    --
    Ian Collins.

  4. Re: SATA disks in X4100

    Hello Sebastien,

    were you able to use SATA disks in an X4100?

    Thanks for update,
    Vlastislav

  5. Re: SATA disks in X4100

    Hi, I tested SATA disk in X4100 and it works. Vl.

    Sep 9 13:41:18 ovm2 kernel: Vendor: ATA Model: ST9500420AS Rev: SDM1
    Sep 9 13:41:18 ovm2 kernel: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05

+ Reply to Thread