Sun Fire 280R/ Sun Blade 2000 differences - SUN

This is a discussion on Sun Fire 280R/ Sun Blade 2000 differences - SUN ; I have a Sun Fire 280R, which uses the same system board as the Sun Blade 2000 (and the 1000). However, there are some differences (other than the housing). The 280R uses drives 0 and 1 internally, while the 2000 ...

  1. Sun Fire 280R/ Sun Blade 2000 differences

    I have a Sun Fire 280R, which uses the same system board as the
    Sun Blade 2000 (and the 1000). However, there are some differences
    (other than the housing).

    The 280R uses drives 0 and 1 internally, while the 2000 uses
    drives 1 and 2.

    The 1000 has a pair of firewire ports, while the 280R has them
    covered by a welded steel cap, and the OS (Solaris 10) does not seem to
    notice the ports.

    So -- two questions:

    1) *Why* is the firewire disabled in the 280R? Just not needed for
    the intended purpose of the machine?

    2) How does it *know* to disable it?

    Does it base it on the drive numbers?

    Does it base it on the presenced or absence of the RSC board?

    Does it base it on something in the different power cable to the
    Fibre Channel drive backplane?

    Does it perhaps base it on the presence or absence of a Creator
    3D framebuffer? (There are two slots for them on the 280R, but
    the primary one does not have a matching opening for the card
    bracket, and the secondary one is used by the RSC card.

    None of this is really critical to know -- but curiosity prompts
    me to ask.

    Thanks,
    DoN.
    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  2. Re: Sun Fire 280R/ Sun Blade 2000 differences

    Hi, better late than never.

    Quote Originally Posted by unix View Post
    1) *Why* is the firewire disabled in the 280R? Just not needed for the intended purpose of the machine?
    Don't know for sure, but this seems most reasonable.

    Quote Originally Posted by unix View Post
    2) How does it *know* to disable it?

    Does it base it on the drive numbers?
    Does it base it on the presenced or absence of the RSC board?
    Does it base it on something in the different power cable to the Fibre Channel drive backplane?
    Does it perhaps base it on the presence or absence of a Creator 3D framebuffer?

    (There are two slots for them on the 280R, but the primary one does not have a matching opening for the card bracket, and the secondary one is used by the RSC card.)
    Also don't know, but the "conversion switch" between Blade 1000 and Fire 280R is the RSC board.
    If you remove the RSC from a 280R it reports as Blade 1000, whereas a Blade 1000 reports as Fire 280R if you put an RSC board in.
    I have both machines and tested that.
    The absence/presence of a framebuffer is not relevant.
    A probably important difference is the Power Distribution Board of the Fire 280R with the drive backplane, which is not available on the Blade 1000.
    The I2C cable from the RSC connects to this board, which is used for monitoring the temperatures, keyswitch position, FSP LED, disk, fan and power supply information.
    One side effect of the "Blade-To-Fire" conversion by adding an RSC is that the fan control does not work anymore. As soon as you boot into Solaris without RSC, the fans go silent.

    To make the difference visible:

    This is the output of prtdiag -v on a genuine Fire 280R:

    Code:
    System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Fire 280R (2 X UltraSPARC-III+)
    System clock frequency: 150 MHz
    Memory size: 8192 Megabytes

    ========================= CPUs ===============================================

              Run    E$    CPU     CPU
    Brd  CPU  MHz    MB   Impl.    Mask
    ---  ---  ----  ----  -------  ----
     A    0   1200   8.0  US-III+  11.0
     B    1   1200   8.0  US-III+  11.0

    ========================= Memory Configuration ===============================

               Logical  Logical  Logical
          MC   Bank     Bank     Bank         DIMM    Interleave  Interleaved
     Brd  ID   num      size     Status       Size    Factor      with
    ----  ---  ----     ------   -----------  ------  ----------  -----------
     CA    0     0      2048MB   no_status    1024MB     4-way        0
     CA    0     1      2048MB   no_status    1024MB     4-way        0
     CA    0     2      2048MB   no_status    1024MB     4-way        0
     CA    0     3      2048MB   no_status    1024MB     4-way        0

    ========================= IO Cards =========================

                             Bus  Max
         IO   Port Bus       Freq Bus  Dev,
    Brd  Type  ID  Side Slot MHz  Freq Func State Name                              Model
    ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----- --------------------------------  ----------------------
    I/O   PCI   8    B    4    33   33  1,0  ok    TSI,gfxp                          GFXP
    I/O   PCI   8    B    2    33   33  3,0  ok    pci-pci8086,b154.0/network (netw+ PCI-BRIDGE
    I/O   PCI   8    B    2    33   33  0,0  ok    network-pci108e,abba.11           SUNW,pci-ce/pci-bridge
    I/O   PCI   8    A    1    66   66  1,0  ok    SUNW,qlc-pci1077,2300.1077.106.1+

    ========================= Environmental Status =========================

    System Temperatures (Celsius):
    ------------------------------
    cpu0   1
    ---------
      57  54

    =================================

    Front Status Panel:
    -------------------
    Keyswitch position: NORMAL

    System LED Status: POWER                   GEN FAULT
                       [ ON]                    [OFF]

    =================================

    Disk Status:
              Presence      Fault Value
              --------      -----------
    DISK   0: [PRESENT]     [NO_FAULT]
    DISK   1: [PRESENT]     [NO_FAULT]

    =================================

    Fan Bank :
    ----------

    Bank                        Status
    ----                        -------
    FAN                         [NO_FAULT]

    =================================

    Power Supplies:
    ---------------
    Supply     Status         PS Type
    ------     ------      ---------------
    PS0       [OK    ]     [Sun-Fire-280R]
    PS1       [OK    ]     [Sun-Fire-280R]

    =================================

    ========================= HW Revisions =======================================

    System PROM revisions:
    ----------------------
    OBP 4.16.4 2004/12/18 05:18

    IO ASIC revisions:
    ------------------
                         Port
    Model     ID  Status Version
    -------- ---- ------ -------
    Schizo    8     ok      4
    And this is the output of prtdiag -v on a converted Fire 280R from a Blade 1000 by adding an RSC card:

    Code:
    System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Fire 280R (2 X UltraSPARC-III)
    System clock frequency: 150 MHz
    Memory size: 4096 Megabytes

    ========================= CPUs ===============================================

              Run    E$    CPU     CPU
    Brd  CPU  MHz    MB   Impl.    Mask
    ---  ---  ----  ----  -------  ----
     A    0    750   8.0  US-III   5.4
     B    1    750   8.0  US-III   5.4

    ========================= Memory Configuration ===============================

               Logical  Logical  Logical
          MC   Bank     Bank     Bank         DIMM    Interleave  Interleaved
     Brd  ID   num      size     Status       Size    Factor      with
    ----  ---  ----     ------   -----------  ------  ----------  -----------
     CA    0     0      1024MB   no_status     512MB     4-way        0
     CA    0     1      1024MB   no_status     512MB     4-way        0
     CA    0     2      1024MB   no_status     512MB     4-way        0
     CA    0     3      1024MB   no_status     512MB     4-way        0

    ========================= IO Cards =========================

    ========================= Environmental Status =========================

    Temperature Checking failed: Property not found
    Keyswitch information checking failed: Property not found
    FSP LED information checking failed: Property not found
    Disk information checking failed: Property not found
    Fan information checking failed: Property not found
    Power Supplies:
    ---------------
    Supply     Status         PS Type
    ------     ------      ---------------
    Power Supply information checking failed: Property not found

    ========================= HW Revisions =======================================

    System PROM revisions:
    ----------------------
    OBP 4.16.4 2004/12/18 05:18

    IO ASIC revisions:
                         Port
    Model     ID  Status Version
    Schizo    8     ok      5
    It is nice to have an RSC to turn on/off your machine remotely.
    But if your ears are in range, the missing fan control is a huge disadvantage.
    I'll remove the RSC card until I find a solution for the fans.

+ Reply to Thread