Re: Ultra 5 power supply repair - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: Ultra 5 power supply repair - SUN ; On Sat, 05 May 2007 08:11:43 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote: > Tried turning on my Ultra 5 yesterday to check something on sparc > (mostly only use x86/amd64 nowadays), only to find the PSU was dead. > Replacement PSU cost ...

  1. Re: Ultra 5 power supply repair

    On Sat, 05 May 2007 08:11:43 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > Tried turning on my Ultra 5 yesterday to check something on sparc
    > (mostly only use x86/amd64 nowadays), only to find the PSU was dead.
    > Replacement PSU cost more than the thing is worth. Pulled an ATX PSU
    > out of a 10+ year old PC, connected it up to the motherboard and
    > disks, and the good old Ultra 5 sprung back into life.
    >
    > Having finished the build and test I needed to do on sparc, I pondered
    > on the future of this Ultra 5 sitting open on the floor with a PSU
    > which won't fit in the case. Then I thought of looking inside the two
    > PSU's, and I found that although the casings were quite different,
    > the circuit boards inside were exactly same size and mounting holes
    > (and not very different in component layout either). After a quick
    > transplant of the circuit boards in the PSU casing, and reconnecting
    > the fan and mains connections, it all goes back together perfectly
    > and still works fine. The PC PSU is 225W rather than the Ultra 5's
    > original 200W which won't do any harm, and its cable loom has loads
    > more disk drive connectors which simply don't connect up, but that's
    > not an issue either.
    >
    > Thought this story might be useful for someone else too. Don't
    > embark on this unless you have a reasonable experience of mains
    > electronics and safety though, particularly with the high voltage
    > storage capacitors in a switched mode PSU.

    Hi!
    My PSU in my Ultra 5 also died a couple of month ago, so I bought a
    standard ATX PSU witch fit perfectly, no need to change anything...
    The mounting screws where in the exact same place as well as the
    powerbutton. And since it was a standard PSU with no extra feutures it
    only cost my about $20.
    I've heard many people having problems with their Ultra 5 PSU, must be
    something bad with them...

    --
    Jack-Benny
    http://bluedogsecurity.cyberinfo.se

  2. Re: Ultra 5 power supply repair

    Jack-Benny wrote:

    > I've heard many people having problems with their Ultra 5 PSU, must be
    > something bad with them...

    Old age, it gets us all in the end

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Ultra 5 power supply repair

    On Sun, 06 May 2007 10:36:25 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:

    > Jack-Benny wrote:
    >>
    >> I've heard many people having problems with their Ultra 5 PSU, must be
    >> something bad with them...
    >>

    > Old age, it gets us all in the end

    Hehe, you're right about that

    --