Ultra 45 louder than SunBlade 2000 - SUN

This is a discussion on Ultra 45 louder than SunBlade 2000 - SUN ; I currently have both a SunBlade 1000 (dual CPU, 750 MHz) and a SunBlade 2000 (dual CPU, 900 MHz) in my office. I just got a new Ultra 45 to replace the SunBlade 1000. The Ultra 45 is much louder ...

  1. Ultra 45 louder than SunBlade 2000

    I currently have both a SunBlade 1000 (dual CPU, 750 MHz) and a
    SunBlade 2000 (dual CPU, 900 MHz) in my office. I just got a new
    Ultra 45 to replace the SunBlade 1000. The Ultra 45 is much louder
    than both of the existing machines combined - loud enough that I can't
    really work with it on. Unlike the SunBlade machines, the fan never
    seems to slow down after the Ultra 45 is booted. The noise is similar
    to the SunBlades when booting, except that on the SunBlades the fan
    slows down a lot after boot and the machines become fairly quiet.

    Is this a known "feature" of the Ultra 45 or is something wrong?

    Dave
    --

    David Hollenberg dhollen@NOmosisSPAM.com http://www.mosis.com/
    MOSIS Service Voice 310-448-8704

  2. Re: Ultra 45 louder than SunBlade 2000

    Great comment, David. I assume that the fan noise to which you are
    referring is coming from the three-fan module, and not the SPARC
    processor fan, the speed of which varies based on processor temperature.
    And this begs the question: the '45 has strategically located
    temperature sensors (AFAIK) on and around the motherboard. If the output
    from any of these sensors is able to control cooling fan velocities, can
    they be enabled to do so, and if so, how? I have pondered this same
    question, and searched Sun's website along with Google etc. and came up
    empty-handed.

    Anyone?

    David Hollenberg wrote:
    > I currently have both a SunBlade 1000 (dual CPU, 750 MHz) and a
    > SunBlade 2000 (dual CPU, 900 MHz) in my office. I just got a new
    > Ultra 45 to replace the SunBlade 1000. The Ultra 45 is much louder
    > than both of the existing machines combined - loud enough that I can't
    > really work with it on. Unlike the SunBlade machines, the fan never
    > seems to slow down after the Ultra 45 is booted. The noise is similar
    > to the SunBlades when booting, except that on the SunBlades the fan
    > slows down a lot after boot and the machines become fairly quiet.
    >
    > Is this a known "feature" of the Ultra 45 or is something wrong?
    >
    > Dave

  3. Re: Ultra 45 louder than SunBlade 2000

    Hi,

    David Hollenberg wrote:
    > I currently have both a SunBlade 1000 (dual CPU, 750 MHz) and a
    > SunBlade 2000 (dual CPU, 900 MHz) in my office. I just got a new
    > Ultra 45 to replace the SunBlade 1000. The Ultra 45 is much louder
    > than both of the existing machines combined - loud enough that I can't
    > really work with it on. Unlike the SunBlade machines, the fan never
    > seems to slow down after the Ultra 45 is booted. The noise is similar
    > to the SunBlades when booting, except that on the SunBlades the fan
    > slows down a lot after boot and the machines become fairly quiet.
    >
    > Is this a known "feature" of the Ultra 45 or is something wrong?
    >
    > Dave

    But the u45 is making about the same noise than the Blade 2000 and a
    2500 I would say!

    The 2500 has to high speed on both CPU fan and disks which causes fan to
    increase speed due to the air will not go out fast enough of the
    disk/cpu, if reducing the speed the temp will not go up and the noise is
    much less.

    /michael

+ Reply to Thread