FAQ: Booting suncpi II off an IDE HD - SUN

This is a discussion on FAQ: Booting suncpi II off an IDE HD - SUN ; I connected an IDE HD to my sunpciIIpro card. When it boots up, it recognizes the HD but still will try to boot from an image or will ask for one if it is not there (or I deleted its ...

  1. FAQ: Booting suncpi II off an IDE HD

    I connected an IDE HD to my sunpciIIpro card. When it boots up, it
    recognizes the HD but still will try to boot from an image or will ask
    for one if it is not there (or I deleted its Sunpci.ini file). How to
    persuade the card to see the HD as the C: drive?
    --
    Mauricio raub-kudria-com
    (if you need to email me, use this address =)

  2. Re: FAQ: Booting suncpi II off an IDE HD

    Mauricio Tavares wrote:
    > I connected an IDE HD to my sunpciIIpro card. When it boots up, it
    > recognizes the HD but still will try to boot from an image or will ask
    > for one if it is not there (or I deleted its Sunpci.ini file). How to
    > persuade the card to see the HD as the C: drive?

    I'd be very surprised if it would boot from a disk attached to it. It
    was certainly not designed for that - maybe I am wrong.

    --
    Dave (from the UK)

    It is always of the form: month-year@althorne.org

    http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database

  3. Re: FAQ: Booting suncpi II off an IDE HD

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > Mauricio Tavares wrote:
    >> I connected an IDE HD to my sunpciIIpro card. When it boots up, it
    >> recognizes the HD but still will try to boot from an image or will ask
    >> for one if it is not there (or I deleted its Sunpci.ini file). How to
    >> persuade the card to see the HD as the C: drive?

    > I'd be very surprised if it would boot from a disk attached to it. It
    > was certainly not designed for that - maybe I am wrong.

    But, is that a hardware limitation or an issue with the bios.bin or
    cmos.bin files (off /opt/SUNWspci/bios) it supposedly load at boot? As
    you can see, the hardware seems to be happy to know about the hard drive:

    http://kudria.com/projects/computer/...PCI2pro_01.jpg
    http://kudria.com/projects/computer/...PCI2pro_02.jpg

    I might slap in XP in it, the usual way, and see if that OS will see the
    drive and format it.
    --
    Mauricio raub-kudria-com
    (if you need to email me, use this address =)

+ Reply to Thread