SunPCI -375-0095 - - is it worth the effort? - SUN

This is a discussion on SunPCI -375-0095 - - is it worth the effort? - SUN ; Okay, I scrounged up a SunPCI (375 0095) card and am wondering if anyone has made one work in an Ultra 80, 420R or Netra T 1405. Searching the Sun website I found the software and manual for the card. ...

  1. SunPCI -375-0095 - - is it worth the effort?

    Okay, I scrounged up a SunPCI (375 0095) card and am wondering if
    anyone has made one work in an Ultra 80, 420R or Netra T 1405.
    Searching the Sun website I found the software and manual for the
    card.

    I'm running Solaris 10. Anyone care to clue me in on what problems I'm
    going to find? Has anyone done this and would they care to outline the
    steps it takes to get it running? I need the Windows / DOS capability
    for a rather simple Programmable Logic Controller programming package
    and don't want to clutter up what little space I have with yet another
    computer.

    Thanks!

    a/k/a Brian

  2. Re: SunPCI -375-0095 - - is it worth the effort?

    lost@the.net wrote:
    > Okay, I scrounged up a SunPCI (375 0095) card and am wondering if
    > anyone has made one work in an Ultra 80, 420R or Netra T 1405.
    > Searching the Sun website I found the software and manual for the
    > card.
    >
    > I'm running Solaris 10. Anyone care to clue me in on what problems I'm
    > going to find? Has anyone done this and would they care to outline the
    > steps it takes to get it running? I need the Windows / DOS capability
    > for a rather simple Programmable Logic Controller programming package
    > and don't want to clutter up what little space I have with yet another
    > computer.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > a/k/a Brian

    I've got a Sun PCI II pro card with a 733 MHz Celeron (I can't give the
    p/n off hand). It not officially supported in Solaris 10, but there are
    hacks around to get it to work.

    http://blog.ekholm.org/2005/02/04/so...pci-ii-tricks/

    I'm using it in an Ultra 80. It is pretty slow for many things, but
    usable. I found the fan rather noisy (its small, runs at very high
    speed). I decided in my Ultra 80 the cooling air was sufficient that I
    removed the fan from the Sun PCI card. It's been working with no fan
    since at least 23 May 2003 - I know this as I posted the results of my
    fan removal on a newsgroup, which is archived by Google.

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...5a390def5af24b

    If its a Sun PCI II card, you need the 2.x software (I think 2.3.2 is
    the latest), and not the 3.x.

    I'd certainly give it a try. I use my regularly to play chess on the
    internet. But use an Opteron or a dual-core laptop box for more
    demanding applications.

    ---
    Dave (from the UK)

    It is always of the form: month-year@althorne.org

    http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database

  3. Re: SunPCI -375-0095 - - is it worth the effort?

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 09:43:58 +0100, "Dave (from the UK)"
    wrote:

    >lost@the.net wrote:
    >> Okay, I scrounged up a SunPCI (375 0095) card and am wondering if
    >> anyone has made one work in an Ultra 80, 420R or Netra T 1405.
    >> Searching the Sun website I found the software and manual for the
    >> card.
    >>
    >> I'm running Solaris 10. Anyone care to clue me in on what problems I'm
    >> going to find? Has anyone done this and would they care to outline the
    >> steps it takes to get it running? I need the Windows / DOS capability
    >> for a rather simple Programmable Logic Controller programming package
    >> and don't want to clutter up what little space I have with yet another
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> a/k/a Brian
    >>

    >I've got a Sun PCI II pro card with a 733 MHz Celeron (I can't give the
    >p/n off hand). It not officially supported in Solaris 10, but there are
    >hacks around to get it to work.
    >
    >http://blog.ekholm.org/2005/02/04/so...pci-ii-tricks/
    >
    >I'm using it in an Ultra 80. It is pretty slow for many things, but
    >usable. I found the fan rather noisy (its small, runs at very high
    >speed). I decided in my Ultra 80 the cooling air was sufficient that I
    >removed the fan from the Sun PCI card. It's been working with no fan
    >since at least 23 May 2003 - I know this as I posted the results of my
    >fan removal on a newsgroup, which is archived by Google.
    >
    >http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...5a390def5af24b
    >
    >If its a Sun PCI II card, you need the 2.x software (I think 2.3.2 is
    >the latest), and not the 3.x.
    >
    >I'd certainly give it a try. I use my regularly to play chess on the
    >internet. But use an Opteron or a dual-core laptop box for more
    >demanding applications.
    >
    >---
    >Dave (from the UK)
    >
    >Please note my email address changes periodically to avoid spam.
    >It is always of the form: month-year@althorne.org
    >Hitting reply will work for a few months only - later set it manually.
    >
    >http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database

    Thanks, Dave. The links you so graciously provided are now bookmarked
    in my browser. I'll have a chance to tinker later this week and will
    post results here.

    a/k/a Brian

  4. Re: SunPCI -375-0095 - - is it worth the effort?

    "Dave (from the UK)"
    wrote in message news:4629cecf@212.67.96.135...
    > lost@the.net wrote:
    >> Okay, I scrounged up a SunPCI (375 0095) card and am wondering if
    >> anyone has made one work in an Ultra 80, 420R or Netra T 1405.
    >> Searching the Sun website I found the software and manual for the
    >> card. I'm running Solaris 10. Anyone care to clue me in on what problems
    >> I'm
    >> going to find? Has anyone done this and would they care to outline the
    >> steps it takes to get it running? I need the Windows / DOS capability
    >> for a rather simple Programmable Logic Controller programming package
    >> and don't want to clutter up what little space I have with yet another
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> a/k/a Brian
    >>

    > I've got a Sun PCI II pro card with a 733 MHz Celeron (I can't give the
    > p/n off hand). It not officially supported in Solaris 10, but there are
    > hacks around to get it to work.
    >
    > http://blog.ekholm.org/2005/02/04/so...pci-ii-tricks/
    >
    > I'm using it in an Ultra 80. It is pretty slow for many things, but
    > usable. I found the fan rather noisy (its small, runs at very high speed).
    > I decided in my Ultra 80 the cooling air was sufficient that I removed the
    > fan from the Sun PCI card. It's been working with no fan since at least
    > 23 May 2003 - I know this as I posted the results of my fan removal on a
    > newsgroup, which is archived by Google.
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...5a390def5af24b
    >
    > If its a Sun PCI II card, you need the 2.x software (I think 2.3.2 is the
    > latest), and not the 3.x.
    >
    > I'd certainly give it a try. I use my regularly to play chess on the
    > internet. But use an Opteron or a dual-core laptop box for more demanding
    > applications.
    >
    > ---
    > Dave (from the UK)
    >
    > Please note my email address changes periodically to avoid spam.
    > It is always of the form: month-year@althorne.org
    > Hitting reply will work for a few months only - later set it manually.
    >
    > http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database

    I bought a Sun Blade 1000 and it had one of those 733MHz SunPCI cards in it.
    It was more than a little noisy, it was very nosiy.
    I no longer have the card (scrapped).

  5. Re: SunPCI -375-0095 - - is it worth the effort?

    Gerald Sinkiewicz wrote:
    > I bought a Sun Blade 1000 and it had one of those 733MHz SunPCI cards in it.
    > It was more than a little noisy, it was very nosiy.

    Yeah, I ran that combination too. But, I removed the fan from the
    SunPCI card, leaving the copper heat sink attached. It ran fine for
    years.

    I think the OP is asking about the 400 MHz version. It'll work but
    it'll be kinda slow. The 733 MHz version certainly was. Best bet is to
    max out the RAM on the card..

    Mine is still in the SB1000 but that machine is sitting in out in the
    hall, unused, since I migrated to Sun Rays. You can't imagine how cool
    it is to have a totally silent office!
    --
    HZ

+ Reply to Thread