Cheap Array Enclosure for ZFS pool? - SUN

This is a discussion on Cheap Array Enclosure for ZFS pool? - SUN ; We have 14 500GB PATA drives left over from another project. Given that ZFS seems to prefer working with jbod's, does anyone know of an inexpensive enclosure with an fcal interface to host the disks?...

  1. Cheap Array Enclosure for ZFS pool?

    We have 14 500GB PATA drives left over from another project. Given that
    ZFS seems to prefer working with jbod's, does anyone know of an
    inexpensive enclosure with an fcal interface to host the disks?

  2. Re: Cheap Array Enclosure for ZFS pool?

    Ken Mandelberg wrote:
    > We have 14 500GB PATA drives left over from another project. Given that
    > ZFS seems to prefer working with jbod's, does anyone know of an
    > inexpensive enclosure with an fcal interface to host the disks?

    Maybe this?
    http://www.ronver.com/eng/index.php?...Id=37#ProdId96

  3. Re: Cheap Array Enclosure for ZFS pool?

    In comp.unix.solaris Ken Mandelberg wrote:
    > We have 14 500GB PATA drives left over from another project. Given that
    > ZFS seems to prefer working with jbod's, does anyone know of an
    > inexpensive enclosure with an fcal interface to host the disks?

    I was looking at some Addonics ones the other day. They start at under
    $200 for a six-disk enclosure, and can be mated with the interface of
    your choice. Might be a bit small for your needs, but it's worth looking.
    http://www.addonics.com/

    Colin

  4. Re: Cheap Array Enclosure for ZFS pool?

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:45:15 GMT, Colin B.
    wrote:
    > I was looking at some Addonics ones the other day. They start at under
    > $200 for a six-disk enclosure, and can be mated with the interface of
    > your choice. Might be a bit small for your needs, but it's worth looking.
    > http://www.addonics.com/
    >
    > Colin

    Hi Colin

    I was looking for an enclosure on their site that let's me put in
    a bunch of IDE disks, and then lets you connect the enclosure as a
    SCSI array. All I can find that does IDE to SCSI (or SATA to SCSI
    for that matter) are single disk adapters.

    Could you provide a pointer to the one you were considering?

    Thank you!
    Cheers, Liam

  5. Re: Cheap Array Enclosure for ZFS pool?

    Liam Greenwood wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:45:15 GMT, Colin B.
    > wrote:
    >> I was looking at some Addonics ones the other day. They start at under
    >> $200 for a six-disk enclosure, and can be mated with the interface of
    >> your choice. Might be a bit small for your needs, but it's worth looking.
    >> http://www.addonics.com/
    >>
    >> Colin

    > Hi Colin
    >
    > I was looking for an enclosure on their site that let's me put in
    > a bunch of IDE disks, and then lets you connect the enclosure as a
    > SCSI array. All I can find that does IDE to SCSI (or SATA to SCSI
    > for that matter) are single disk adapters.
    >
    > Could you provide a pointer to the one you were considering?
    >
    > Thank you!
    > Cheers, Liam

    Haven't tried it on Solaris, but I do have a box with four IDE drives
    appearing as a SCSI controller to the system. Look at ACARD ARS 3020
    at http://www.acard.com. Box appears to be scalable past four drives
    but I have not needed that capability yet.

  6. Re: Cheap Array Enclosure for ZFS pool?

    In comp.unix.solaris Liam Greenwood wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:45:15 GMT, Colin B.
    > wrote:
    >> I was looking at some Addonics ones the other day. They start at under
    >> $200 for a six-disk enclosure, and can be mated with the interface of
    >> your choice. Might be a bit small for your needs, but it's worth looking.
    >> http://www.addonics.com/
    >>
    >> Colin

    > Hi Colin
    >
    > I was looking for an enclosure on their site that let's me put in
    > a bunch of IDE disks, and then lets you connect the enclosure as a
    > SCSI array. All I can find that does IDE to SCSI (or SATA to SCSI
    > for that matter) are single disk adapters.
    >
    > Could you provide a pointer to the one you were considering?

    Well I was looking at doing eSATA directly, but I thought there were
    FCAL or SCSI adaptors. Now of course, I can't find them.

    Looks like a false lead on my part. Sorry about that. Mind you, it makes
    me curious about getting a SATA controller for my Ultra60. I've got enough
    old shoeboxes around that four SATA drives connected to the Ultra60 would
    convince me to turn off the Sun SCSI multipacks (with their 9-18GB drives).

    Sorry about the misleading info.
    Colin

  7. Re: Cheap Array Enclosure for ZFS pool?

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:08:47 GMT, Colin B.
    wrote:
    >> Could you provide a pointer to the one you were considering?

    > Well I was looking at doing eSATA directly, but I thought there were
    > FCAL or SCSI adaptors. Now of course, I can't find them.
    >
    > Looks like a false lead on my part. Sorry about that. Mind you, it makes
    > me curious about getting a SATA controller for my Ultra60. I've got enough
    > old shoeboxes around that four SATA drives connected to the Ultra60 would
    > convince me to turn off the Sun SCSI multipacks (with their 9-18GB drives).
    >
    > Sorry about the misleading info.
    > Colin

    No worries, any info is useful :-)

    Thank you