T1000 = Insanely noisely - SUN

This is a discussion on T1000 = Insanely noisely - SUN ; On 2007-04-08 23:22:39 +0100, Stefaan A Eeckels said: > Indeed, but it would not be noticeable in the typical computer room. It also may not be desirable. One of the things that is bad for disks, both (I am sure) ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: T1000 = Insanely noisely

  1. Re: T1000 = Insanely noisely

    On 2007-04-08 23:22:39 +0100, Stefaan A Eeckels said:

    > Indeed, but it would not be noticeable in the typical computer room.


    It also may not be desirable. One of the things that is bad for disks,
    both (I am sure) in terms of performance and (I suspect) in terms of
    reliability is vibration, and particularly in this context self-induced
    vibration. That means you need to be careful about how you mount
    disks, and you probably want them bolted to something solid like a
    chassis.

    Of course it's not that simple, since if you have a bunch of disks
    bolted to a common chassis they can all now "hear" each other, and that
    may not be good either, so you have to think about how you make the
    chassis and that's something that's way off topic... Finally, this
    probably counts more for arrays in OLTP application where you have a
    large number of very fast disks all seeking like mad than it does for a
    pair of slower system disks which probably seek hardly at all in
    typical use.

    (Incidentally, before you laugh at this: the performance impact is
    apparently a real thing. The mechanism is head-settle time - vibration
    can cause heads to take longer to settle after a seek, and this can
    cause them to miss a rotational window which means you lose a whole
    rotation which is a significant time. There was an article by someone
    at NetApp which talked about this (among other things) in ;login: a few
    months ago. Obviously more of an issue for arrays though...)

    --tim


  2. Re: T1000 = Insanely noisely

    "llothar" writes:

    >Come on, if you think that the Blade 1000 (i tried it with a 750Mhz
    >and a dual 900 Mhz)
    >has an acceptable noise rate then you have a real damaged brain.


    Well, no need to go and do name calling.

    But I jhave no issues with my Sun Blade 2000 (2x1.2GHz); it makes a lot
    of noise when starting up but as soon as Solaris boots it becomes quiet enough.
    (As long as the envioronment is cold enough, I think)

    >I can't even work concentrated on a problem when the system is in the
    >next room.


    I'm sorry, I cannot hear it at all if it is in the next room.

    You are not running linux on it or some such?

    Casper
    --
    Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
    to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
    Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
    be fiction rather than truth.

  3. Re: T1000 = Insanely noisely

    post2google@yahoo.com wrote:
    > You know, I thought that nothing could be louder
    > than the Dell Poweredge 1850. The T1000 makes
    > it seem like the Poweredge is turned off. And before
    > someone says "it's designed to be in a server area",
    > let me add that if you put a bunch of these things in
    > a rack, we'd be talking mandatory OSHA hearing
    > protection required, if not being tagged an EPA
    > superfund site. It's a good machine, but not
    > NEARLY powerful enough to justify the noise.
    >
    > But enough ranting. What I wanted to ask was
    > whether anyone had tried to replace the fans
    > on the T1000 with quieter aftermarket ones? Or
    > found some other way to quiet these things down.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -P
    >


    I agree they are 'stupidly' noisy - the novelty wears off quickly. ;-)

    1. You can set the base fan speed in BIOS - This means that in a cool
    environment, the fans are allot slower and quieter. We did this in our
    server room, which made our server nicer with the door closed. It also
    saves on power costs.

    2. I have never tried to replace the fans....

    3. Liquid cooling. $300/server? You can also get 'stand-alone' models
    that will cool a few servers, if your not attempting to cool a large
    rack which would cost much much more.

    Keep in mind, however, that the air flow is designed to flow over many
    parts of the server from front to back - including the HDs.

    Option #3 might also void your warranty.

    I had this dream of buying a T1000 for my home server, but - no way!
    Although, I could put it in the crawl space of the house... lol :-)

  4. Re: T1000 = Insanely noisely

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:52:17 GMT Adrian Thompson wrote:
    > post2google@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> You know, I thought that nothing could be louder
    >> than the Dell Poweredge 1850. The T1000 makes
    >> it seem like the Poweredge is turned off. And before
    >> someone says "it's designed to be in a server area",
    >> let me add that if you put a bunch of these things in
    >> a rack, we'd be talking mandatory OSHA hearing
    >> protection required, if not being tagged an EPA
    >> superfund site. It's a good machine, but not
    >> NEARLY powerful enough to justify the noise.
    >>
    >> But enough ranting. What I wanted to ask was
    >> whether anyone had tried to replace the fans
    >> on the T1000 with quieter aftermarket ones? Or
    >> found some other way to quiet these things down.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> -P
    >>

    >
    > I agree they are 'stupidly' noisy - the novelty wears off quickly. ;-)
    >
    > 1. You can set the base fan speed in BIOS - This means that in a cool


    OBP, you mean.

    > environment, the fans are allot slower and quieter. We did this in
    > our server room, which made our server nicer with the door closed. It
    > also saves on power costs.
    >
    > 2. I have never tried to replace the fans....
    >
    > 3. Liquid cooling. $300/server? You can also get 'stand-alone'
    > models that will cool a few servers, if your not attempting to cool a
    > large rack which would cost much much more.
    >
    > Keep in mind, however, that the air flow is designed to flow over many
    > parts of the server from front to back - including the HDs.
    >
    > Option #3 might also void your warranty.
    >
    > I had this dream of buying a T1000 for my home server, but - no way!
    > Although, I could put it in the crawl space of the house... lol :-)


    My T1000 is much quieter than the disks that are attached to it.

    -frank

  5. Re: T1000 = Insanely noisely

    In comp.sys.sun.hardware Frank Cusack wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:52:17 GMT Adrian Thompson wrote:
    >> post2google@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> You know, I thought that nothing could be louder
    >>> than the Dell Poweredge 1850. The T1000 makes
    >>> it seem like the Poweredge is turned off.


    [snip]

    >>
    >> I agree they are 'stupidly' noisy - the novelty wears off quickly. ;-)
    >>
    >> 1. You can set the base fan speed in BIOS - This means that in a cool

    >
    > OBP, you mean.


    Can you point me at the dosumentation on how to do this? Mine seem to like
    to go fast all the time from just after poweron.

    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Fans (Speeds Revolution Per Minute):
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Sensor Status Speed Warn Low
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    FT0/F0 OK 9166 2240 1920
    FT0/F1 OK 8967 2240 1920
    FT0/F2 OK 9166 2240 1920
    FT0/F3 OK 8967 2240 1920

    The temperatures are:
    Sensor Status Temp LowHard LowSoft LowWarn HighWarn
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    MB/T_AMB OK 29 -10 -5 0 45
    MB/CMP0/T_TCORE OK 43 -10 -5 0 85
    MB/CMP0/T_BCORE OK 42 -10 -5 0 85
    MB/IOB/T_CORE OK 42 -10 -5 0 95

    (Lines trimmed to reduce width.)


    >
    >
    > My T1000 is much quieter than the disks that are attached to it.


    I wish that were the case for mine.

    >
    > -frank


    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  6. Re: T1000 = Insanely noisely

    On Apr 6, 4:56 pm, post2goo...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > You know, I thought that nothing could be louder
    > than the Dell Poweredge 1850. TheT1000makes
    > it seem like the Poweredge is turned off. And before
    > someone says "it's designed to be in a server area",
    > let me add that if you put a bunch of these things in
    > a rack, we'd be talking mandatory OSHA hearing
    > protection required, if not being tagged an EPA
    > superfund site. It's a good machine, but not
    > NEARLY powerful enough to justify the noise.
    >
    > But enough ranting. What I wanted to ask was
    > whether anyone had tried to replace the fans
    > on theT1000with quieter aftermarket ones? Or
    > found some other way to quiet these things down.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -P



    Hm, some peoples T1000s are quiet, some, including
    mine, are loud. And a report that they quiet down after the
    POST. Mine don't. A mystery. Perhaps ... oh, there are
    some firmware patches for the T1000, 123481-03 and
    124751-02 (not sure which is the correct one). And there
    are a number of entries in the README for temperature
    and fan related issues. Maybe people who got their T1000
    after a certain date, or who put in the firmware patch
    are the ones with quiet boxes!?!!?

    Will have to try this out. I wonder if the same situation
    applies to the T2000?

    -P



  7. Re: T1000 = Insanely noisely

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.unix.solaris.]
    On 2007-04-20, post2google@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Apr 6, 4:56 pm, post2goo...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> You know, I thought that nothing could be louder
    >> than the Dell Poweredge 1850. TheT1000makes
    >> it seem like the Poweredge is turned off. And before
    >> someone says "it's designed to be in a server area",
    >> let me add that if you put a bunch of these things in
    >> a rack, we'd be talking mandatory OSHA hearing
    >> protection required, if not being tagged an EPA
    >> superfund site. It's a good machine, but not
    >> NEARLY powerful enough to justify the noise.
    >>
    >> But enough ranting. What I wanted to ask was
    >> whether anyone had tried to replace the fans
    >> on theT1000with quieter aftermarket ones? Or
    >> found some other way to quiet these things down.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> -P

    >
    >
    > Hm, some peoples T1000s are quiet, some, including
    > mine, are loud. And a report that they quiet down after the
    > POST. Mine don't. A mystery. Perhaps ... oh, there are
    > some firmware patches for the T1000, 123481-03 and
    > 124751-02 (not sure which is the correct one). And there
    > are a number of entries in the README for temperature
    > and fan related issues. Maybe people who got their T1000
    > after a certain date, or who put in the firmware patch
    > are the ones with quiet boxes!?!!?
    >
    > Will have to try this out. I wonder if the same situation
    > applies to the T2000?
    >
    > -P


    Try:
    # svcs picl
    and see if picl is online.
    If not, your box will keep trying to fly by running fans at full speed
    and you'll continue to wish they could actually just fly away.
    --
    #pragma ident "Seongbae Park, compiler, http://seongbae.blogspot.com/"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2