Ultra 10 slow with Solaris 10 - SUN

This is a discussion on Ultra 10 slow with Solaris 10 - SUN ; I have an Ultra 10 3D Creator with a 440MHz Sparc IIi, 1GB RAM, and a 7200RPM 40GB drive in it. I've installed Solaris 10 on it only to find that it's turtle slow. I originally had 256MB of RAM ...

  1. Ultra 10 slow with Solaris 10

    I have an Ultra 10 3D Creator with a 440MHz Sparc IIi, 1GB RAM, and a
    7200RPM 40GB drive in it. I've installed Solaris 10 on it only to find
    that it's turtle slow. I originally had 256MB of RAM in it and had
    removed the 3D Creator card to use the onboard Rage II's VGA port.
    I've since reinstalled the Creator card and installed 1GB of ram and
    am not really seeing much improvement anywhere. If it makes much of a
    difference, I'm running the Gnome-based desktop and not CDE.

    Screen redraw is godawful. Trying to open an mpeg file is like
    watching a slideshow. Simply dragging a window around has it
    flickering while it redraws. Playing an MP3 while running NetBeans is
    a chore, I may get stuttering in the mp3 or Netbeand may get a little
    weird on me. Going to a website that uses Flash can bring the machine
    to it's knees while the animation runs (my personal site uses a bit of
    Flash).

    Should the performance be this bad?

  2. Re: Ultra 10 slow with Solaris 10

    george.jones@gdc4s.com wrote:
    > I have an Ultra 10 3D Creator with a 440MHz Sparc IIi, 1GB RAM, and a
    > 7200RPM 40GB drive in it. I've installed Solaris 10 on it only to find
    > that it's turtle slow. I originally had 256MB of RAM in it and had
    > removed the 3D Creator card to use the onboard Rage II's VGA port.
    > I've since reinstalled the Creator card and installed 1GB of ram and
    > am not really seeing much improvement anywhere. If it makes much of a
    > difference, I'm running the Gnome-based desktop and not CDE.

    Gnome performance on the machine isn't stellar. In addition, the
    internal IDE drives are often quite poor performers.

    I find the U-10 (especially the 440Mhz) to be quite peppy with solaris
    10 as long as I'm not running Gnome/JD.

    I don't normally run video on it, so I have no idea how bad that's going
    to be on the various cards.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: Ultra 10 slow with Solaris 10

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 08:44:42 -0700, george.jones@gdc4s.com wrote:

    > I have an Ultra 10 3D Creator with a 440MHz Sparc IIi, 1GB RAM, and a
    > 7200RPM 40GB drive in it. I've installed Solaris 10 on it only to find
    > that it's turtle slow. I originally had 256MB of RAM in it and had
    > removed the 3D Creator card to use the onboard Rage II's VGA port.
    > I've since reinstalled the Creator card and installed 1GB of ram and
    > am not really seeing much improvement anywhere. If it makes much of a
    > difference, I'm running the Gnome-based desktop and not CDE.
    >
    > Screen redraw is godawful. Trying to open an mpeg file is like
    > watching a slideshow. Simply dragging a window around has it
    > flickering while it redraws. Playing an MP3 while running NetBeans is
    > a chore, I may get stuttering in the mp3 or Netbeand may get a little
    > weird on me. Going to a website that uses Flash can bring the machine
    > to it's knees while the animation runs (my personal site uses a bit of
    > Flash).
    >
    > Should the performance be this bad?

    Go with CDE instead! I am currently running Solaris 10 on my Ultra 5 with
    a 400 Mhz CPU and 256 mb RAM and it's pretty okay.
    But if I lanuch JDS/Gnome the machine is almost brought to a complete
    stand-still...

    --
    Jack-Benny
    http://bluedogsecurity.cyberinfo.se