    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  2. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    On 2006-11-28, Barry OGrady wrote:
    > Can I ran Solraris 10 on a Sun Netra T1,

    Yes. I can see a Netra T1 105 from where I'm sitting which has
    Sol10 on it.

    > and what sort of hardware is needed for
    > keyboard and monitor?

    I use the cable which came with a Cisco router (rj45 to db25) then
    a db25 to db9 adaptor to plug it into the back of a PC and used
    Teraterm to talk to the box to install it (I Jumpstarted it -
    no CDROM) and once it was up on the network, you don't need
    a console.

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  3. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    On 28 Nov 2006 12:20:52 GMT, Huge wrote:

    >On 2006-11-28, Barry OGrady wrote:
    >> Can I ran Solraris 10 on a Sun Netra T1,

    >Yes. I can see a Netra T1 105 from where I'm sitting which has
    >Sol10 on it.
    >
    >> and what sort of hardware is needed for
    >> keyboard and monitor?

    >I use the cable which came with a Cisco router (rj45 to db25) then
    >a db25 to db9 adaptor to plug it into the back of a PC and used
    >Teraterm to talk to the box to install it (I Jumpstarted it -
    >no CDROM) and once it was up on the network, you don't need
    >a console.

    I just bought a Netra at an auction. It sounds like I should be able to use it.
    I presume it needs the SPARC version of Solaris. I have the X86 version running
    on a Duron 1.3 Ghz with 512 megs RAM.
    Thank you.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  4. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Barry OGrady wrote:

    > I just bought a Netra at an auction. It sounds like I should be able to use it.

    Provided it has sufficient RAM, yes.

    > I presume it needs the SPARC version of Solaris. I have the X86 version running

    Yep, you need the SPARC version.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  5. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    > Can I ran Solraris 10 on a Sun Netra T1

    Solaris 8, 9 and 10 will run on a Netra T1.
    Although for Solaris 8 certain minimum releases may be required.

    > and what sort of hardware is needed for keyboard and monitor?

    A standard Type-6 USB keyboard and mouse should work.

    As for video there are no graphics cards listed under the Netra T1 AC200 or
    DC200.
    However, it does have a single PCI slot and from what I can tell it's
    basically a Sun Blade 100 in a server configuration.
    Looking at what works in a Sun Blade 100, something low end like a PGX32 or
    PGX64 should work.

    Trinean

  6. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    Trinean wrote:
    > > Can I ran Solraris 10 on a Sun Netra T1

    > Solaris 8, 9 and 10 will run on a Netra T1.
    > Although for Solaris 8 certain minimum releases may be required.

    > > and what sort of hardware is needed for keyboard and monitor?

    > A standard Type-6 USB keyboard and mouse should work.

    > As for video there are no graphics cards listed under the Netra T1 AC200 or
    > DC200.
    > However, it does have a single PCI slot and from what I can tell it's
    > basically a Sun Blade 100 in a server configuration.
    > Looking at what works in a Sun Blade 100, something low end like a PGX32 or
    > PGX64 should work.

    Or he could have a t105 which is based on the compact PCI Sun
    systems. This has no keyboard port or USB port unless you count the
    keyboard port that's hidden inside and no way accessible. The T1 are
    nothing like the Blade 100 either, maybe you're thinking about the X1
    which is a really cheaped down rack mount machine. Nothing like the
    t10x etc machines which are well built NEBS compliant telco grade
    machines. The Blade 100 is a cheap cheap desktop machine that doesn't
    even have SCSI.

    If he has a machine without the keyboard or USB ports then the
    only practical way to use it as a desktop would be: 1) Use a SunRay or
    other machine for the console over the network or 2) try to find a third
    party PCI framebuffer with a built in keyboard port. There were some
    Sbus boards that had a standard 15 pin VGA connector and a keyboard
    port, I don't know about PCI though. The other problem you might find
    is that these boards may or may not have any software support for later
    Solaris versions.

  7. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:40:00 GMT, Rich Teer wrote:

    >On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Barry OGrady wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought a Netra at an auction. It sounds like I should be able to use it.

    >Provided it has sufficient RAM, yes.

    It has 1 gig, and two 18 gig HDs.

    >> I presume it needs the SPARC version of Solaris. I have the X86 version running

    >Yep, you need the SPARC version.

    Thanks. Would it be easy to install from the CDROM?
    I had no problems with the X86 version.

    >--
    >Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  8. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:12:11 -0500, "Trinean" wrote:

    >> Can I ran Solraris 10 on a Sun Netra T1

    >Solaris 8, 9 and 10 will run on a Netra T1.
    >Although for Solaris 8 certain minimum releases may be required.

    I had in mind to download the CD images.

    >> and what sort of hardware is needed for keyboard and monitor?

    >A standard Type-6 USB keyboard and mouse should work.

    Standard as in Sun standard? Will a PC type USB keyboard and mouse work,
    or can I hook a terminal to a serial port?

    >As for video there are no graphics cards listed under the Netra T1 AC200 or
    >DC200.
    >However, it does have a single PCI slot and from what I can tell it's
    >basically a Sun Blade 100 in a server configuration.
    >Looking at what works in a Sun Blade 100, something low end like a PGX32 or
    >PGX64 should work.

    Sounds a bit involved but doable.
    I don't have the unit yet so I can't see if it has a video card.

    >Trinean

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  9. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    On 2006-11-28, Trinean wrote:
    >> Can I ran Solraris 10 on a Sun Netra T1

    > Solaris 8, 9 and 10 will run on a Netra T1.
    > Although for Solaris 8 certain minimum releases may be required.
    >
    >> and what sort of hardware is needed for keyboard and monitor?

    > A standard Type-6 USB keyboard and mouse should work.

    I'll be interested to see where you would plug it in.

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  10. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    Huge wrote:
    > On 2006-11-28, Trinean wrote:
    >
    >>>Can I ran Solraris 10 on a Sun Netra T1

    >>Solaris 8, 9 and 10 will run on a Netra T1.
    >>Although for Solaris 8 certain minimum releases may be required.
    >>

    >>>and what sort of hardware is needed for keyboard and monitor?

    >>A standard Type-6 USB keyboard and mouse should work.

    > I'll be interested to see where you would plug it in.

    For sure.

  11. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Barry OGrady wrote:

    > It has 1 gig, and two 18 gig HDs.

    OK, that's plenty.

    > Thanks. Would it be easy to install from the CDROM?
    > I had no problems with the X86 version.

    Yes; if anything, SPARC is even easier than x86 to install.
    Just put the first CD in, and type "boot cdrom" at the OK
    prompt.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  12. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    On 2006-11-29, Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Barry OGrady wrote:
    >
    >> It has 1 gig, and two 18 gig HDs.

    > OK, that's plenty.
    >
    >> Thanks. Would it be easy to install from the CDROM?
    >> I had no problems with the X86 version.

    > Yes; if anything, SPARC is even easier than x86 to install.
    > Just put the first CD in,

    In what? Is the CD-ROM an option? My T1 105 has no CD. No
    KB port. No graphics. Two network ports and a serial. That's
    it.

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  13. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Huge wrote:

    > In what? Is the CD-ROM an option? My T1 105 has no CD. No

    Yes, the CD-ROM drive was optional on the Netra T1s (mine has one).
    You can attach a CD-ROM drive to the extrenal SCSI port, or set
    up an install server (if you have other SOlaris machines available
    to you).

    > KB port. No graphics. Two network ports and a serial. That's
    > it.

    Yep; one of the serial ports can be used from LOM. Keyboard and
    graphics are not required (nor, arguably, desirable) on a server.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  14. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:39:28 GMT, Rich Teer wrote:

    >On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Barry OGrady wrote:
    >
    >> It has 1 gig, and two 18 gig HDs.

    >OK, that's plenty.
    >
    >> Thanks. Would it be easy to install from the CDROM?
    >> I had no problems with the X86 version.

    >Yes; if anything, SPARC is even easier than x86 to install.
    >Just put the first CD in, and type "boot cdrom" at the OK
    >prompt.

    Thanks. I did that and it installed just fine, although the CDROM drive
    tray sticks and has to be pulled out manually. Is that easy to fix?

    >--

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  15. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 02:55:09 +0000 (UTC), "B. Wright" wrote:

    >Trinean wrote:
    >> > Can I ran Solraris 10 on a Sun Netra T1

    >> Solaris 8, 9 and 10 will run on a Netra T1.
    >> Although for Solaris 8 certain minimum releases may be required.

    >> > and what sort of hardware is needed for keyboard and monitor?

    >> A standard Type-6 USB keyboard and mouse should work.

    >> As for video there are no graphics cards listed under the Netra T1 AC200 or
    >> DC200.
    >> However, it does have a single PCI slot and from what I can tell it's
    >> basically a Sun Blade 100 in a server configuration.
    >> Looking at what works in a Sun Blade 100, something low end like a PGX32 or
    >> PGX64 should work.

    > Or he could have a t105 which is based on the compact PCI Sun
    >systems. This has no keyboard port or USB port unless you count the
    >keyboard port that's hidden inside and no way accessible. The T1 are
    >nothing like the Blade 100 either, maybe you're thinking about the X1
    >which is a really cheaped down rack mount machine. Nothing like the
    >t10x etc machines which are well built NEBS compliant telco grade
    >machines. The Blade 100 is a cheap cheap desktop machine that doesn't
    >even have SCSI.
    >
    > If he has a machine without the keyboard or USB ports then the
    >only practical way to use it as a desktop would be: 1) Use a SunRay or
    >other machine for the console over the network or 2) try to find a third
    >party PCI framebuffer with a built in keyboard port. There were some
    >Sbus boards that had a standard 15 pin VGA connector and a keyboard
    >port, I don't know about PCI though. The other problem you might find
    >is that these boards may or may not have any software support for later
    >Solaris versions.

    I have an AC200 on which I have installed Solaris 10 from CDs, using a laptop
    hooked up to the lom port.
    My machine has two USB ports and I noticed it said no keyboard detected
    when I fired it up, but it found a USB keyboard which I later connected.
    I also have a Sunray 1 and plan to install the Sunray server and Windows connector.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  16. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1?

    Hi,

    I've got a Netra T1 105 with a CDROM, 512MB RAM, and it's running Solaris 10.

    I just freshly installed it; it was running Solaris 8... I connected the rj45 end a Cisco rollover cable to "Serial A" and the db9 end to a Windows laptop, running Secure CRT.

    I put the Solaris 10 CDROM into the CDROM drive and booted the machine from "lom" by typing 'poweron' . Once into Solaris 8 I issued a 'halt' and that dropped me to the "ok" prompt, from there I typed 'boot cdrom' and away she roared.

    Regards,
    Julian Breen

  17. Re: Could I run Solaris 10 on a Sun Netra T1? - more questions

    I've been following this thread and I have some additional questions as I'm dealing with a similar situation. I have a Sun Netra t1 105 and no monitor or keyboard. I've seen the post about using a an RJ45 to DB25 to DB9 to a laptop. But once I've done that, what to do I need to do to make certain the laptop and Sun can communicate. Also, I'm assuming I'd be using the DVD drive on the laptop rather than the CDRom drive on the Netra?

    When I run the solaris install will I see the UI during the install? How can I diagnos how much memory and also if there are issues with the drive or not?

+ Reply to Thread