Confirm my Suspicions! - SUN

This is a discussion on Confirm my Suspicions! - SUN ; I've been woo'd by two new (to me) Solaris Sparc toys and I'd like any that know to confirm or deny this for me. I'm currently on the March Solaris Express on a SB1000: 1. You cannot boot from ZFS ...

  1. Confirm my Suspicions!

    I've been woo'd by two new (to me) Solaris Sparc toys and I'd like any
    that know to confirm or deny this for me. I'm currently on the March
    Solaris Express on a SB1000:

    1. You cannot boot from ZFS yet.

    2. You cannot install as ZFS, you have to convert (and destroy) the fs
    from UFS.

    3. You cannot install to and boot from a Firewire disk.

    I've mounted and fs'd a firewire drive successfully but I must admit to
    the SB1000 losing it quite regularly (cannot stat) and indeed, totally
    non-hot-pluggable, totally crashing to ok prompt, which was a bit
    disappointing!

    Steve

  2. Re: Confirm my Suspicions!

    Steve wrote:
    > I've been woo'd by two new (to me) Solaris Sparc toys and I'd like any
    > that know to confirm or deny this for me. I'm currently on the March
    > Solaris Express on a SB1000:

    > 1. You cannot boot from ZFS yet.

    Not in any released version. Reportedly developers can do so today, but
    the installer and related support isn't expected to be released until
    update 4 (and that could change). It would be in a Solaris Express
    prior to that release, but I've heard no timeframe.

    > 2. You cannot install as ZFS, you have to convert (and destroy) the fs
    > from UFS.

    Hmm? You can't install as ZFS period. The installer doesn't understand
    ZFS yet. It will in the future. I don't know any type of conversion
    utility from UFS to ZFS as being planned.

    > 3. You cannot install to and boot from a Firewire disk.

    Don't know. I haven't looked at firewire at all. Even USB boot has
    been dodgy, but should be possible under recent releases. I don't think
    firewire should be much different, but I have know knowledge of that.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: Confirm my Suspicions!

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Steve wrote:

    > I've been woo'd by two new (to me) Solaris Sparc toys and I'd like any that
    > know to confirm or deny this for me. I'm currently on the March Solaris
    > Express on a SB1000:
    >
    > 1. You cannot boot from ZFS yet.

    Correct.

    > 2. You cannot install as ZFS, you have to convert (and destroy) the fs from
    > UFS.

    Incorrect. ZFS is installed when you install Solaris. You can use
    any disk or partition (excpet boot!) for a ZFS storage pool, although
    ZFS prefers to have whole disks.

    > 3. You cannot install to and boot from a Firewire disk.

    I think this might be possible, but I've not tried it.

    > I've mounted and fs'd a firewire drive successfully but I must admit to the
    > SB1000 losing it quite regularly (cannot stat) and indeed, totally
    > non-hot-pluggable, totally crashing to ok prompt, which was a bit
    > disappointing!

    People seem to have better luck using USB drives, so that might be
    worth a shot...

    HTH,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  4. Re: Confirm my Suspicions!

    Steve wrote:
    > I've been woo'd by two new (to me) Solaris Sparc toys and I'd like any
    > that know to confirm or deny this for me. I'm currently on the March
    > Solaris Express on a SB1000:
    > 1. You cannot boot from ZFS yet.

    ZFS stuff already answered by others, but I thing there is a ZFS FAQ.

    > 3. You cannot install to and boot from a Firewire disk.

    AFAIK there is no OBP support for this. Why O why would you want to
    when you
    have built in FC/AL drives ...?

    > I've mounted and fs'd a firewire drive successfully but I must admit to
    > the SB1000 losing it quite regularly (cannot stat) and indeed, totally
    > non-hot-pluggable, totally crashing to ok prompt, which was a bit
    > disappointing!

    Hmm - I dont have mine on that much but Ive never had any problems
    with it. Im using an IOGEAR 160 FW/USB FWIW.

+ Reply to Thread