450MHz modules in an Ultra 2 - SUN

This is a discussion on 450MHz modules in an Ultra 2 - SUN ; I've got an Ultra 2 with two 296MHz modules in it at the moment. A couple of 450MHz modules have popped up on ebay (pulls from a E420R). I know these aren't supported in the Ultra 2, but is there ...

  1. 450MHz modules in an Ultra 2

    I've got an Ultra 2 with two 296MHz modules in it at the moment. A couple of
    450MHz modules have popped up on ebay (pulls from a E420R). I know these
    aren't supported in the Ultra 2, but is there a possibility of them working
    (albeit at 400MHz due to the lower system bus speed)? The 33% boost in MHz
    and the doubling of the cache should kick the overall performance up a notch
    or two ...

    --
    Michael Brown
    Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

  2. Re: 450MHz modules in an Ultra 2

    "Michael Brown" writes:

    >I've got an Ultra 2 with two 296MHz modules in it at the moment. A couple of
    >450MHz modules have popped up on ebay (pulls from a E420R). I know these
    >aren't supported in the Ultra 2, but is there a possibility of them working
    >(albeit at 400MHz due to the lower system bus speed)? The 33% boost in MHz
    >and the doubling of the cache should kick the overall performance up a notch
    >or two ...

    Depends on how they'd be affected by the timing constraints - I've never
    (yet!) tried a 450 Mhz module in an Ultra 2.

    There isn't a jumper setting to correctly set the clock divisor for 450 Mhz
    modules, but 450's will work fine in Ultra 60's and 80's (and the other
    systems built around the U60 and U80 system boards) so they're useful to
    have.

    You could try a 450 Mhz module with each of the jumper settings for J2301 on
    the Ultra 2 system board and see what happens. If you get a combination
    which works the CPU might not run at the full rated speed.

    Good luck!

    Regards,

    Craig.
    --
    Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web --> "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick".
    Email me at "cdewick@poison.lios.apana.org.au". Explore my public-domain Sun

  3. Re: 450MHz modules in an Ultra 2

    don't do it, over 400mhz is buggy

  4. Re: 450MHz modules in an Ultra 2

    incomex@no-spamhotmail.com wrote:
    > don't do it, over 400mhz is buggy

    How so? This is a play-around-with box as opposed to a mission-critical
    server, so if it means a crash a couple times a year I'm not too worried

    --
    Michael Brown
    Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

  5. Re: 450MHz modules in an Ultra 2

    Craig Dewick wrote:
    > "Michael Brown" writes:
    >
    >> I've got an Ultra 2 with two 296MHz modules in it at the moment. A
    >> couple of 450MHz modules have popped up on ebay (pulls from a
    >> E420R).

    [...]

    Looks like you wanted it more than I did

    --
    Michael Brown
    Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

+ Reply to Thread