repeated "IDPROM contents are invalid" failures - SUN

This is a discussion on repeated "IDPROM contents are invalid" failures - SUN ; Also posted to comp.unix.solaris .. . . We have about 50 Sun Ultra-10 workstations that we've had for about four years. Several of them have failed with an error "The IDPROM Contents are invalid"; we've replaced the timekeeper EEPROM and ...

  1. repeated "IDPROM contents are invalid" failures

    Also posted to comp.unix.solaris .. . .

    We have about 50 Sun Ultra-10 workstations that we've had for about four
    years. Several of them have failed with an error "The IDPROM Contents
    are invalid"; we've replaced the timekeeper EEPROM and they start
    working again.

    However, ONE of those workstations has now had FIVE IDPROM replacements.
    Each one has worked for short periods of time varying from a couple of
    hours to a couple of weeks, then failed again. Of course, it's
    particularly annoying because it's MY workstation .

    When we get a replacement PROM, we normally update it using the
    techniques from: http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html to
    avoid having to make NIS changes at the same time.

    Once the IDPROM error occurs, I can re-program the PROM, and it will
    last for varying (short) periods of time.

    Any hints about how to (finally) cure this will be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Dan

  2. Re: repeated "IDPROM contents are invalid" failures

    Dan Rawson writes:

    > Any hints about how to (finally) cure this will be appreciated.

    How little is your time worth? How expensive are U10s?
    Discard the machine that kills IDPROM's and get another.

    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Lawrence Statton - lawrenabae@abaluon.abaom s/aba/c/g
    Computer software consists of only two components: ones and
    zeros, in roughly equal proportions. All that is required is to
    sort them into the correct order.

  3. Re: repeated "IDPROM contents are invalid" failures

    According to Dan Rawson :
    > Also posted to comp.unix.solaris .. . .
    >
    > We have about 50 Sun Ultra-10 workstations that we've had for about four
    > years. Several of them have failed with an error "The IDPROM Contents
    > are invalid"; we've replaced the timekeeper EEPROM and they start
    > working again.
    >
    > However, ONE of those workstations has now had FIVE IDPROM replacements.
    > Each one has worked for short periods of time varying from a couple of
    > hours to a couple of weeks, then failed again. Of course, it's
    > particularly annoying because it's MY workstation .

    [ ... ]

    > Once the IDPROM error occurs, I can re-program the PROM, and it will
    > last for varying (short) periods of time.
    >
    > Any hints about how to (finally) cure this will be appreciated.

    Hmm ... it sounds to me as though the power to the chip is
    missing, so it is running from its internal battery full time. I don't
    know whether there is a fuse dedicated to that power line. To discover
    that, I would need access to the design schematics for the board.

    Or is it possible that the environment is either too hot or too
    cold for the battery?

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  4. Re: repeated "IDPROM contents are invalid" failures

    HI,

    DoN. Nichols wrote:
    > According to Dan Rawson :
    >
    >>Also posted to comp.unix.solaris .. . .
    >>
    >>We have about 50 Sun Ultra-10 workstations that we've had for about four
    >> years. Several of them have failed with an error "The IDPROM Contents
    >>are invalid"; we've replaced the timekeeper EEPROM and they start
    >>working again.
    >>
    >>However, ONE of those workstations has now had FIVE IDPROM replacements.
    >> Each one has worked for short periods of time varying from a couple of
    >>hours to a couple of weeks, then failed again. Of course, it's
    >>particularly annoying because it's MY workstation .

    > [ ... ]
    >

    >>Once the IDPROM error occurs, I can re-program the PROM, and it will
    >>last for varying (short) periods of time.
    >>
    >>Any hints about how to (finally) cure this will be appreciated.

    > Hmm ... it sounds to me as though the power to the chip is
    > missing, so it is running from its internal battery full time. I don't
    > know whether there is a fuse dedicated to that power line. To discover
    > that, I would need access to the design schematics for the board.

    Unless my memory is very bad it works like a standard 6264 600 mils CMOS
    RAM so to measure if VCC is available or not should not need a schematic
    of ther U10, although in the opensource time as this is Sun could
    release the PDF for all schematics!

    But I also think that the memory is shutting down without VCC and only
    leaves the clock running.

    /michael

  5. Re: repeated "IDPROM contents are invalid" failures

    My suggestion would be to replace the system board. I've had Ultra 10s that
    would go so far as to be unable to keep the time right even with NTP
    running. Replacing the NVRAM made no difference or "seemed" to fix the
    problem fro a day or so before starting back up. Putting in a new system
    board resolved the problem everytime.

    Trinean

+ Reply to Thread