420 r - SUN

This is a discussion on 420 r - SUN ; How noisy is a 420r server? As quiet as an Ultra I or SPARC 20 desktop? I just looked at the T2000 server and it sounds like a howling jet engine. Thanks...

  1. 420 r

    How noisy is a 420r server? As quiet as an Ultra I or SPARC 20 desktop?

    I just looked at the T2000 server and it sounds like a howling jet engine.

    Thanks

  2. Re: 420 r

    HI,

    J Huntley Palmer wrote:
    > How noisy is a 420r server? As quiet as an Ultra I or SPARC 20 desktop?
    >
    > I just looked at the T2000 server and it sounds like a howling jet engine.
    >
    > Thanks

    They all make noise, the best I know of is the E250.

    /michael

  3. Re: 420 r

    It's very noisy.
    Sun Computer's are for deaf persons only - or for people who want
    became deaf.

    But a 420R belongs to a separate server room. If you don't have one,
    then you normally don't need a Sun. See one of my previous postings
    against Sun hardware in SOHO use.

  4. Re: 420 r

    Hi,

    llothar wrote:
    > It's very noisy.
    > Sun Computer's are for deaf persons only - or for people who want
    > became deaf.
    >
    > But a 420R belongs to a separate server room. If you don't have one,
    > then you normally don't need a Sun. See one of my previous postings
    > against Sun hardware in SOHO use.

    Don't need a Sun, I don't think you need a Sun just because of you have
    a server room!

    All rack mounted systems makes noise due to lack of space in the boxes,
    and all WS that are highperformance!

    If you need alot of boxes I would suggest netbooting(discless) them all
    from a server and using big boxes for each motherboard and no graphics!

    /michael

  5. Re: 420 r

    All rack mounted kit I have seen is noisy, but it is obvious why. They
    need to be small so the air flow is bad and you can only fit in small
    fans which need to rotate at high speed to get the same air flow
    through the box to keep it cool.

    One heared a intel switch scream so loud you could hear it any where in
    the building.

    If you need a quite box - don't by a rack mounted unit.

    You need a big case which can take the biggest fans and fit the largest
    heat sinks to get the noise down on any computer.

  6. Re: 420 r

    J Huntley Palmer wrote:
    > How noisy is a 420r server? As quiet as an Ultra I or SPARC 20 desktop?

    Probably the equivalent noise of 20+ Ultra I's.

    > I just looked at the T2000 server and it sounds like a howling jet engine.

    Ok. Is this a problem?

    Servers are noisy. High end servers are noisy. If it's not designed
    for the desk, it will be noisy. You might want to look at the new
    workstations instead of the server line. However, even they will
    be louder than your Ultra I (probably).

  7. Re: 420 r

    No i don't think there is a need for bigger cases. It's just that there
    is no demand enough from the customer side.

    With decent heatpipes it's absolutely no problem to make even fast
    computers with 15Krpm Disks and modern dual dual CPU's noiseless. I
    hope SUN learns this some time for there desktop machines. But have you
    ever seen a CPU with heappipe or sillent water cooling, special
    harddisk boxes. Fanless power supply units etc.

    As i said this is not necessary for larger servers that belong to there
    own room.

  8. Re: 420 r

    Excuse me, you are writting bull**** here.

    Modern Sun Systems (Sparc) start at US$ 3000 US new there you can
    easily add US$ 200-300 for decent cooling. 10% is a small cost for the
    increase in productivity you get from a silent system.

    If Apple can cool two G5 which are wasting huge amounts of energy with
    reasonable costs, i don't see why can't Sun do this. The prices for Sun
    workstations are insane. If they can't they should really improve there
    CPU strategy.

    I'm really tired about stupid excuses for huge significant Sun failures.

+ Reply to Thread