Sun Blade 100 CDROM problem - won't "boot cdrom" - SUN

This is a discussion on Sun Blade 100 CDROM problem - won't "boot cdrom" - SUN ; Hi, I use to be able to "boot cdrom" on my Sun Blade 100, but tonight, it doesn't seem to be working anymore. It also seems to not work under Solaris anymore . So I'm looking for a recommendation for ...

  1. Sun Blade 100 CDROM problem - won't "boot cdrom"

    Hi,

    I use to be able to "boot cdrom" on my Sun Blade 100, but tonight, it
    doesn't seem to be working anymore. It also seems to not work under
    Solaris anymore .

    So I'm looking for a recommendation for a replacement CDROM drive. I've
    seen some of the FAQs on the net, but most seem to be somewhat dated.

    Can someone recommend a fairly available CDROM or DVD-ROM drive that
    will work with the Sun Blade 100?

    Thanks in advance!

    Jim

  2. Re: Sun Blade 100 CDROM problem - won't "boot cdrom"

    HI,

    ohaya wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use to be able to "boot cdrom" on my Sun Blade 100, but tonight, it
    > doesn't seem to be working anymore. It also seems to not work under
    > Solaris anymore .
    >
    > So I'm looking for a recommendation for a replacement CDROM drive. I've
    > seen some of the FAQs on the net, but most seem to be somewhat dated.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a fairly available CDROM or DVD-ROM drive that
    > will work with the Sun Blade 100?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Jim

    Most should work, why not install a Plextor DVD burner instead always
    nice with the possibility to burn CD/DVDs.

    /michael

  3. Re: Sun Blade 100 CDROM problem - won't "boot cdrom"

    Michael Laajanen wrote:

    > HI,
    >
    > ohaya wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I use to be able to "boot cdrom" on my Sun Blade 100, but tonight, it
    > > doesn't seem to be working anymore. It also seems to not work under
    > > Solaris anymore .
    > >
    > > So I'm looking for a recommendation for a replacement CDROM drive. I've
    > > seen some of the FAQs on the net, but most seem to be somewhat dated.
    > >
    > > Can someone recommend a fairly available CDROM or DVD-ROM drive that
    > > will work with the Sun Blade 100?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > >
    > > Jim

    > Most should work, why not install a Plextor DVD burner instead always
    > nice with the possibility to burn CD/DVDs.

    Michael,

    I now have my kitchen strewn with old CDROM drives, and none have worked
    yet . So far, I've tried:

    - An old Mitsumi
    - An old Sony (CDU311)
    - An TDK CDRW

    None of those worked.

    I also have a Sony DRU500A DVD burner in a USB enclosure. I'm going to
    give that a try also ...

    I think I have a Plextor CDRW, but I'm going to have to pull it out of
    one of my PCs. Do you think that'll work?

    Jim

  4. Re: Sun Blade 100 CDROM problem - won't "boot cdrom"

    ohaya wrote:

    > Michael Laajanen wrote:
    > >
    > > HI,
    > >
    > > ohaya wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I use to be able to "boot cdrom" on my Sun Blade 100, but tonight, it
    > > > doesn't seem to be working anymore. It also seems to not work under
    > > > Solaris anymore .
    > > >
    > > > So I'm looking for a recommendation for a replacement CDROM drive. I've
    > > > seen some of the FAQs on the net, but most seem to be somewhat dated.
    > > >
    > > > Can someone recommend a fairly available CDROM or DVD-ROM drive that
    > > > will work with the Sun Blade 100?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance!
    > > >
    > > > Jim

    > > Most should work, why not install a Plextor DVD burner instead always
    > > nice with the possibility to burn CD/DVDs.

    > Michael,
    >
    > I now have my kitchen strewn with old CDROM drives, and none have worked
    > yet . So far, I've tried:
    >
    > - An old Mitsumi
    > - An old Sony (CDU311)
    > - An TDK CDRW
    >
    > None of those worked.
    >
    > I also have a Sony DRU500A DVD burner in a USB enclosure. I'm going to
    > give that a try also ...
    >
    > I think I have a Plextor CDRW, but I'm going to have to pull it out of
    > one of my PCs. Do you think that'll work?
    >
    > Jim

    Hi,

    Well, I couldn't boot from the DRU500A ...

    So is the Plextor CDRW going to be worth a try, and do you think I'll be
    able to boot from it?

    Jim

  5. Re: Sun Blade 100 CDROM problem - won't "boot cdrom"

    ohaya wrote:

    > ohaya wrote:
    > >
    > > Michael Laajanen wrote:
    > > >
    > > > HI,

    > > > Most should work, why not install a Plextor DVD burner instead always
    > > > nice with the possibility to burn CD/DVDs.

    > > Michael,
    > >
    > > I now have my kitchen strewn with old CDROM drives, and none have worked
    > > yet . So far, I've tried:
    > >
    > > - An old Mitsumi
    > > - An old Sony (CDU311)
    > > - An TDK CDRW
    > >
    > > None of those worked.
    > >
    > > I also have a Sony DRU500A DVD burner in a USB enclosure. I'm going to
    > > give that a try also ...
    > >
    > > I think I have a Plextor CDRW, but I'm going to have to pull it out of
    > > one of my PCs. Do you think that'll work?
    > >
    > > Jim

    > Hi,
    >
    > Well, I couldn't boot from the DRU500A ...
    >
    > So is the Plextor CDRW going to be worth a try, and do you think I'll be
    > able to boot from it?
    >
    > Jim

    Hi,

    FINALLY, some success!!

    I tried the Plextor CDRW (40/12/40A) and initially, it wouldn't do "boot
    cdrom". So, I decided to try to update my OBP, from 4.0 to 4.17.01.

    I did that, and rebooted the machine, then got to the "ok" prompt, and
    "boot cdrom", and VOILA!! It booted the Solaris CDROM!

    I'm guessing that some of the other drives that I tried would probably
    work with the newer OBP, but right now, I'm just going to clean things
    up and put the machine back together !

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread