Re: Ultra 40 and 45: 1000 watts!? - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: Ultra 40 and 45: 1000 watts!? - SUN ; Erik Magnuson writes: >P.S. I thought it very interesting that the US-IV+ implemented the POPC >instruction - reference to something unique to Sparc. And something extremely useful for a small set of clients (which generally huge budgets) Casper -- Expressed ...

  1. Re: Ultra 40 and 45: 1000 watts!?

    Erik Magnuson writes:

    >P.S. I thought it very interesting that the US-IV+ implemented the POPC
    >instruction - reference to something unique to Sparc.

    And something extremely useful for a small set of clients (which
    generally huge budgets)

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  2. Re: Ultra 40 and 45: 1000 watts!?

    HI,

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > Erik Magnuson writes:
    >

    >>P.S. I thought it very interesting that the US-IV+ implemented the POPC
    >>instruction - reference to something unique to Sparc.

    > And something extremely useful for a small set of clients (which
    > generally huge budgets)

    Makes all the rest of us wounder what the instruction does and what
    makes it so special?

    /michael

  3. Re: Ultra 40 and 45: 1000 watts!?

    Michael Laajanen writes:

    >HI,

    >Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    >> Erik Magnuson writes:
    >>

    >>>P.S. I thought it very interesting that the US-IV+ implemented the POPC
    >>>instruction - reference to something unique to Sparc.

    >> And something extremely useful for a small set of clients (which
    >> generally huge budgets)

    >Makes all the rest of us wounder what the instruction does and what
    >makes it so special?

    "Population count"; returns the number of bits set in a register.

    popc reg_or_imm, reg

    (Not sure why you'd want "popc immediate,%r" but there you have it)

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  4. Re: Ultra 40 and 45: 1000 watts!?

    hi,

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > Michael Laajanen writes:
    >

    >>HI,

    >>Makes all the rest of us wounder what the instruction does and what
    >>makes it so special?

    > "Population count"; returns the number of bits set in a register.
    >
    > popc reg_or_imm, reg
    >
    > (Not sure why you'd want "popc immediate,%r" but there you have it)

    okej, what is so good with this instruction for those "with big budgets"
    telco?

    /michael

  5. Re: Ultra 40 and 45: 1000 watts!?

    Michael Laajanen wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Laajanen writes:
    >>

    >>> HI,

    >>> Makes all the rest of us wounder what the instruction does and what
    >>> makes it so special?

    >> "Population count"; returns the number of bits set in a register.
    >>
    >> popc reg_or_imm, reg
    >>
    >> (Not sure why you'd want "popc immediate,%r" but there you have it)
    >>

    > okej, what is so good with this instruction for those "with big budgets"
    > telco?
    >
    > /michael

    Pick up a copy of David Kahn's "Codebreakers" and look up Friedman and
    his "index of correspondence" - the popc instruction would be very
    useful for this application (No Such Agency). A similar application (and
    less 'spooky') could be genome matching - the popc instruction could
    speed up the matching of a new analyzed gene with a reference gene.

    - Erik

+ Reply to Thread