Mounting USB devices without vold - SUN

This is a discussion on Mounting USB devices without vold - SUN ; Hi there. We have a product that's being ported from Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 10 on the SPARC platform - the new hardware will be an Ultra 25, to be specific - and are having some "growing pains" dealing with ...

  1. Mounting USB devices without vold

    Hi there.

    We have a product that's being ported from Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 10
    on the SPARC platform - the new hardware will be an Ultra 25, to be
    specific - and are having some "growing pains" dealing with the
    vagaries & flexibility of USB, particularly the fact that USB volumes
    can be mounted on different device paths, depending on how many
    volumes you have.

    This product uses Solaris as a platform, but it's not a prominent part
    of the product; the users don't actually interact with the Solaris
    system, per se, but only through our interface. They never see the
    Solaris part.

    Let me lay out what our "fearless project leader" has in mind, and
    then you can rip it to shreds as necessary.

    The initial proposal is to kill "vold" and then mount the USB devices
    as we need to. This may or may not be wise - I can see reasons to
    keep it, myself, but it's not my call. However, our up-front problem
    is which device name to use for the mount command when we expect to
    mount a volume. For example, when using a floppy, or a CD, it was
    easy: /dev/floppy or /dev/cdrom, which I know are links, but there's
    still only one of them. Now, with USB, the path is dependent on the
    number of devices plugged into the USB bus. We don't anticipate a
    large number of disk volumes plugged into the USB bus - typically only
    one - but even two could throw us off.

    Any suggestions for where to look for additional information on
    Solaris and USB, and how to manage the device paths so we're not
    mounting every possible /dev/dsk/* path looking for our volume?

    Any comments would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Aaron

  2. Re: Mounting USB devices without vold

    aaron@mcs-partners.com wrote:

    > Any comments would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Aaron

    Here is a copy of a script I used for Solaris 9 and early Solaris 10.

    #!/bin/sh
    /opt/sfw/bin/sudo /etc/init.d/volmgt stop
    wait
    sleep 5
    /opt/sfw/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c3t0d0p0:c /FlashDisk
    /opt/sfw/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c4t0d0p0:c /FlashDisk
    /usr/bin/nautilus --geometry=1000x800 /FlashDisk
    wait
    /opt/sfw/bin/sudo /etc/init.d/volmgt start

    Modify it as you see fit. Basically I had two USB plugs in the front of
    my computer. If the Flashdisk was plugged into .../C4t0...., then the
    first mount would just fail and get on the the second mount command.
    This worked for me. I even created an Icon for it, the reason for
    "sudo". If you were to us it today, you would have to change all,
    entries of "/etc/init.d/volmgt stop" & "/etc/init.d/volmgt start" with
    "/usr/sbin/svcadm disable volfs" & "/usr/sbin/svcadm enable volfs"
    respectively.

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread