Re: Network Printing - SUN

This is a discussion on Re: Network Printing - SUN ; I use the 'xprint' package from http://xprint.mozdev.org/ which interfaces seamlessly with Firefox, etc. to handle printing stuff from web clients. For normal printing, I've configured my /etc/printers.conf file like this: ## If you hand edit this file, comments and structure ...

  1. Re: Network Printing

    I use the 'xprint' package from http://xprint.mozdev.org/ which interfaces
    seamlessly with Firefox, etc. to handle printing stuff from web clients.

    For normal printing, I've configured my /etc/printers.conf file like this:

    ## If you hand edit this file, comments and structure may change.
    # The preferred method of modifying this file is through the use of
    # lpset(1M)
    #
    hplaser:\
    :bsdaddr=jadzia,hplaser:
    _default:\
    :use=hplaser:

    where 'hplaser' is the printer name given to the lp or lpr command to tell
    it which printer to use, and 'jadzia' is the actual hostname assigned to the
    IP address of the printer in my local network. The printer lives at a
    192.168.0.x address which is defined in /etc/inet/hosts so no external
    hostname resolving is needed.

    Applications such as Acrobat, etc. automatically find the default printer
    using this setup.

    I don't know if the way I do printing is the 'recommended' Sun way, but it
    works for me and my HP 4050N laser printer has been giving excellent service
    for 5+ years with only the odd toner cartridge change required.

    Regards,

    Craig.
    --
    Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web @ "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick".
    Email 2 "cdewick@lios.apana.org.au". SunShack @ "http://www.sunshack.org"

  2. Re: Network Printing

    "Craig Dewick" wrote in message
    >I use the 'xprint' package from http://xprint.mozdev.org/ which interfaces
    > seamlessly with Firefox, etc. to handle printing stuff from web clients.
    >
    > For normal printing, I've configured my /etc/printers.conf file like this:
    >
    > ## If you hand edit this file, comments and structure may change.
    > # The preferred method of modifying this file is through the use of
    > # lpset(1M)
    > #
    > hplaser:\
    > :bsdaddr=jadzia,hplaser:
    > _default:\
    > :use=hplaser:
    >
    > where 'hplaser' is the printer name given to the lp or lpr command to tell
    > it which printer to use, and 'jadzia' is the actual hostname assigned to
    > the
    > IP address of the printer in my local network. The printer lives at a
    > 192.168.0.x address which is defined in /etc/inet/hosts so no external
    > hostname resolving is needed.
    >
    > Applications such as Acrobat, etc. automatically find the default printer
    > using this setup.
    >
    > I don't know if the way I do printing is the 'recommended' Sun way, but it
    > works for me and my HP 4050N laser printer has been giving excellent
    > service
    > for 5+ years with only the odd toner cartridge change required.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Craig.
    > --
    > Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web @ "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick".
    > Email 2 "cdewick@lios.apana.org.au". SunShack @ "http://www.sunshack.org"
    > Galleries @ "http://www.sunshack.org/gallery2". Also lots of tech data,
    > etc.
    > Sun Microsystems webring at
    > "http://n.webring.com/hub?ring=sunmicrosystemsu".

    Craig
    Thanks for that.
    Found the error in the /etc/printers.conf file after reading your set up.
    The error is a Solaris/Sparc one because I then set up my X86 installation
    and it created exactly the same error again in /etc/printers.conf

    Thanks
    Basil

+ Reply to Thread