[Q on GNU screen] How to make a new window to inherit shell environment variables - SUN

This is a discussion on [Q on GNU screen] How to make a new window to inherit shell environment variables - SUN ; Hello, In GNU screen program, when I hit "C-a C" to open a new windows, is there a way to have the new window to inherit the environment variables from the previous window? Also, I'd like the new window to ...

  1. [Q on GNU screen] How to make a new window to inherit shell environment variables

    Hello,

    In GNU screen program, when I hit "C-a C" to open a new windows, is
    there a way to have the new window to inherit the environment
    variables from the previous window? Also, I'd like the new window to
    start at the path of the previous window, instead of my home
    directory. In short, I'd like the effect when you start a new xterm
    from an existing xterm window.

    I did a quick search on the internet but failed to find the expect
    answer.

    Thanks a lot,
    --Haikun

  2. Re: [Q on GNU screen] How to make a new window to inherit shell environment variables

    Haikun Zhu wrote:

    > I did a quick search on the internet but failed to find the expect
    > answer.

    I've got no answer to your question, but I'd like to suggest that
    you ask your question on the screen-users mailinglist.
    See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-users/

    I suppose you might find better/more answers there.

    BR,

    Alexander Skwar

  3. Re: [Q on GNU screen] How to make a new window to inherit shell environment variables

    In article <1183100230.697152.121310@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>,
    Haikun Zhu wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >In GNU screen program, when I hit "C-a C" to open a new windows, is
    >there a way to have the new window to inherit the environment
    >variables from the previous window? Also, I'd like the new window to
    >start at the path of the previous window, instead of my home
    >directory. In short, I'd like the effect when you start a new xterm
    >from an existing xterm window.

    The answer is "no". Screen windows are are separate terminal sessions.

+ Reply to Thread