Non-nil value for exec-directory (pre-built XEmacs 21.4.5) ? - SUN

This is a discussion on Non-nil value for exec-directory (pre-built XEmacs 21.4.5) ? - SUN ; Hello: I have installed XEmacs (version 21.4.15; October 2006) provided as the pre-built package SFWxmacs from the Solaris 10 software companion DVD. The following message appears when launching XEmacs: WARNING: Couldn't find obvious defaults for: doc-directory exec-directory Perhaps some directories ...

  1. Non-nil value for exec-directory (pre-built XEmacs 21.4.5) ?

    Hello:

    I have installed XEmacs (version 21.4.15; October 2006) provided as
    the pre-built package SFWxmacs from the Solaris 10 software companion
    DVD. The following message appears when launching XEmacs:

    WARNING:
    Couldn't find obvious defaults for:
    doc-directory
    exec-directory
    Perhaps some directories don't exist, or the XEmacs executable,
    /opt/sfw/bin/xemacs
    is in a strange place?

    Starting with the -debug-paths option shows that both exec-directory
    and doc-directory have a value of "nil":

    exec-directory:
    nil
    doc-directory:
    nil

    Is it possible to define a non-nil value in a system-wide startup
    file, for example ?
    --
    ,
    /)

  2. Re: Non-nil value for exec-directory (pre-built XEmacs 21.4.5) ?

    Guy> I have installed XEmacs (version 21.4.15; October 2006) provided
    Guy> as the pre-built package SFWxmacs from the Solaris 10 software
    Guy> companion DVD. The following message appears when launching
    Guy> XEmacs:

    Guy> WARNING:
    Guy> Couldn't find obvious defaults for:
    Guy> doc-directory
    Guy> exec-directory
    Guy> Perhaps some directories don't exist, or the XEmacs executable,
    Guy> /opt/sfw/bin/xemacs
    Guy> is in a strange place?
    [...]
    Guy> Is it possible to define a non-nil value in a system-wide startup
    Guy> file, for example ?

    You shouldn't need to set those; it should all "just work" when you
    start up XEmacs.

    What release of Solaris are you running XEmacs on, and on what
    hardware?

    Did everything from SFWxmacs get installed into /opt/sfw?
    --
    Mike Kupfer m.kupfer@acm.org

  3. Re: Non-nil value for exec-directory (pre-built XEmacs 21.4.5) ?

    Good morning Mike:

    On Sun, 6 May 2007, Mike Kupfer wrote:

    > Guy> I have installed XEmacs (version 21.4.15; October 2006) provided
    > Guy> as the pre-built package SFWxmacs from the Solaris 10 software
    > Guy> companion DVD. The following message appears when launching
    > Guy> XEmacs:
    >
    > Guy> WARNING:
    > Guy> Couldn't find obvious defaults for:
    > Guy> doc-directory
    > Guy> exec-directory
    > Guy> Perhaps some directories don't exist, or the XEmacs executable,
    > Guy> /opt/sfw/bin/xemacs
    > Guy> is in a strange place?
    > [...]
    > Guy> Is it possible to define a non-nil value in a system-wide startup
    > Guy> file, for example ?
    >
    > You shouldn't need to set those; it should all "just work" when you
    > start up XEmacs.
    >
    > What release of Solaris are you running XEmacs on, and on what
    > hardware?

    It is Solaris 10 (11/06 release plus patches; uname -a gives
    Generic_125100-04) on a sparc SunFire 480.

    > Did everything from SFWxmacs get installed into /opt/sfw?

    Yes. Moreover, /opt/sfw/bin is in PATH and /opt/sfw/lib is available
    as shown by "crle -v".
    --
    ,
    /)