Server Hung. - SUN

This is a discussion on Server Hung. - SUN ; Hi i am using solaris 10 server , when we tried to execute the basic commads like w, iostat, who the command will execute but afterward it is not terminating and we have to disconnect from the terminal and do ...

  1. Server Hung.

    Hi i am using solaris 10 server , when we tried to execute the basic
    commads like w, iostat, who the command will execute but afterward it
    is not terminating and we have to disconnect from the terminal and do
    relogin can any body any solution expect the rebooting the sserver.

    thanks in advance.

    regards,
    Nikunj.

  2. Re: Server Hung.

    "Nikunj Khakhar" writes:
    > Hi i am using solaris 10 server , when we tried to execute the basic
    > commads like w, iostat, who the command will execute but afterward it
    > is not terminating and we have to disconnect from the terminal and do
    > relogin can any body any solution expect the rebooting the sserver.

    There are many things that could cause symptoms like that -- a
    misconfigured NFS server, broken name services, strange shell
    extensions, serial problems, and even hardware trouble. You need to
    narrow down the search space.

    The first thing I'd do is get the system into this state, with a hung
    terminal session. Then, without terminating that one, log in via a
    separate terminal session. Find the original stuck session using
    `ptree'. Then use `pstack' and `truss' to find out what those stuck
    processes are doing.

    If that doesn't reveal anything, use `mdb' with this command:

    ::threadlist -v ! less

    Look around for the stuck processes and examine the kernel stacks
    associated with them. This may provide clues about what the process
    is attempting to do and why it's stuck.

    Of course, you could also call Sun's support group.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network