Flash player/Firefox - SUN

This is a discussion on Flash player/Firefox - SUN ; I have a Sparc Ultra 60 running Sol10; SunOS apophis 5.10 Generic_118822-30 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60 .... as my desktop, running Gnome. I want to get Flash running under Firefox 1.5.0.2 so I can watch the YouTube video people keep sending ...

  1. Flash player/Firefox

    I have a Sparc Ultra 60 running Sol10;

    SunOS apophis 5.10 Generic_118822-30 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

    .... as my desktop, running Gnome. I want to get Flash
    running under Firefox 1.5.0.2 so I can watch the YouTube video people
    keep sending me ...

    I downloaded Flash Player 7 from Adobe and installed it;

    root{/opt/sfw/lib/firefox/plugins}: ls -l
    total 4556
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 856 Oct 17 09:43 flashplayer.xpt
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2271760 Oct 17 09:43 libflashplayer.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 26936 Apr 14 2006 libnullplugin.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 17912 Apr 14 2006 libunixprintplugin.so

    Java & Javascript are switched on.

    However, it doesn't work ... I just get a blank spot in the YouTube
    web page.

    I installed the same thing for the builtin Mozilla web browser;

    Welcome to Mozilla 1.7 for Sun Java™ Desktop System

    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; SunOS sun4u; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20041221

    huge{/usr/sfw/lib/mozilla/plugins}: ls -l
    total 4532
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 856 Oct 17 10:48 flashplayer.xpt
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2271760 Oct 17 10:48 libflashplayer.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 58 Dec 22 2005 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> ../../../../java/jre/plugin/sparc/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 31064 Dec 21 2004 libnullplugin.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 45 Dec 22 2005 nppdf.so -> ../../Acrobat5/Browsers/sparcsolaris/nppdf.so

    And that works fine.

    So, what am I doing wrong?

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  2. Re: Flash player/Firefox

    Huge wrote:
    > ... as my desktop, running Gnome. I want to get Flash
    > running under Firefox 1.5.0.2 so I can watch the YouTube video people
    > keep sending me ...
    >
    > I downloaded Flash Player 7 from Adobe and installed it;
    >
    > root{/opt/sfw/lib/firefox/plugins}: ls -l
    > total 4556
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 856 Oct 17 09:43 flashplayer.xpt
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2271760 Oct 17 09:43 libflashplayer.so

    Looks fine, and it works here. What does "aboutlugins" (in the
    address field of firefox) show - is the plugin listed there?

    Is there a difference if you copy the two flash files into
    $HOME/.mozilla/plugins?

    mp.
    --
    Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna
    | http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/
    Patch Check Advanced | Analyze, download and install patches for Sun Solaris

  3. Re: Flash player/Firefox

    On 2006-10-17, Martin Paul wrote:
    > Huge wrote:
    >> ... as my desktop, running Gnome. I want to get Flash
    >> running under Firefox 1.5.0.2 so I can watch the YouTube video people
    >> keep sending me ...
    >>
    >> I downloaded Flash Player 7 from Adobe and installed it;
    >>
    >> root{/opt/sfw/lib/firefox/plugins}: ls -l
    >> total 4556
    >> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 856 Oct 17 09:43 flashplayer.xpt
    >> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2271760 Oct 17 09:43 libflashplayer.so

    > Looks fine, and it works here. What does "aboutlugins" (in the
    > address field of firefox) show - is the plugin listed there?

    Yep;

    Shockwave Flash

    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 7.0 r66

    MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
    application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes
    Default Plugin

    File name: libnullplugin.so
    The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.

    MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    * All types .* No
    Demo Print Plugin for unix/linux

    File name: libunixprintplugin.so
    The demo print plugin for unix.

    MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    application/x-print-unix-nsplugin Demo Print Plugin for Unix/Linux .pnt Yes

    > Is there a difference if you copy the two flash files into
    > $HOME/.mozilla/plugins?

    Nope

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  4. Re: Flash player/Firefox

    Huge wrote:
    > On 2006-10-17, Martin Paul wrote:
    >> Huge wrote:

    >> Looks fine, and it works here. What does "aboutlugins" (in the
    >> address field of firefox) show - is the plugin listed there?

    > Yep;

    So it is just youtube, or don't you get to see no flash content
    at all (try www.adobe.com as an example)?

    mp.
    --
    Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna
    | http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/
    Patch Check Advanced | Analyze, download and install patches for Sun Solaris

  5. Re: Flash player/Firefox

    On 2006-10-17, Martin Paul wrote:
    > Huge wrote:
    >> On 2006-10-17, Martin Paul wrote:
    >>> Huge wrote:

    >>> Looks fine, and it works here. What does "aboutlugins" (in the
    >>> address field of firefox) show - is the plugin listed there?

    >> Yep;

    > So it is just youtube, or don't you get to see no flash content
    > at all (try www.adobe.com as an example)?

    It's everywhere. The Flash intro at Adobe doesn't work, either. No
    error, no Flash...

    Could it be some config in Firefox? I've been through it about half
    a dozen times and I can't see anything. I thought for one minute I
    might be running the Flashblocker extension - but I'm not.

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  6. Re: Flash player/Firefox

    On 17 Oct 2006 14:48:08 GMT, Huge wrote:

    > It's everywhere. The Flash intro at Adobe doesn't work, either. No
    > error, no Flash...
    >
    > Could it be some config in Firefox? I've been through it about half
    > a dozen times and I can't see anything. I thought for one minute I
    > might be running the Flashblocker extension - but I'm not.

    Can we assume java/javascript is enabled in Firefox.

  7. Re: Flash player/Firefox

    On 2006-10-17, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 17 Oct 2006 14:48:08 GMT, Huge wrote:
    >>
    >> It's everywhere. The Flash intro at Adobe doesn't work, either. No
    >> error, no Flash...
    >>
    >> Could it be some config in Firefox? I've been through it about half
    >> a dozen times and I can't see anything. I thought for one minute I
    >> might be running the Flashblocker extension - but I'm not.

    > Can we assume java/javascript is enabled in Firefox.

    Yep. Checked that.

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  8. Re: Flash player/Firefox

    Huge wrote:
    > It's everywhere. The Flash intro at Adobe doesn't work, either. No
    > error, no Flash...
    >
    > Could it be some config in Firefox? I've been through it about half
    > a dozen times and I can't see anything. I thought for one minute I
    > might be running the Flashblocker extension - but I'm not.

    That'd be the next thing I'd check. Either run firefox under a different
    (new) user without $HOME/.mozilla, or temporarily rename your .mozilla
    to .mozilla.bak.

    mp.
    --
    Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna
    | http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/
    Patch Check Advanced | Analyze, download and install patches for Sun Solaris

  9. Re: Flash player/Firefox

    On 2006-10-18, Martin Paul wrote:
    > Huge wrote:
    >> It's everywhere. The Flash intro at Adobe doesn't work, either. No
    >> error, no Flash...
    >>
    >> Could it be some config in Firefox? I've been through it about half
    >> a dozen times and I can't see anything. I thought for one minute I
    >> might be running the Flashblocker extension - but I'm not.

    > That'd be the next thing I'd check. Either run firefox under a different
    > (new) user without $HOME/.mozilla, or temporarily rename your .mozilla
    > to .mozilla.bak.

    You, Sir, are a star.

    mv .mozilla dot_mozilla
    {restart Firefox}

    And now Flash works.

    "All" I have to do now is work out why, but I expect I can manage
    that! Probably easier just copy my bookmarks over...

    Thanks again.

    --
    "Other people are not your property."